Upcoming SPD DP/Exhaust install

Mrmonk7663

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
I’ll be installing a SPD catted 3” downpipe and SPD 3” dumped exhaust later this month to go along with the already installed Roush intake. Tuning has been taken care of by Unleashed. NGK Ruthenium gapped to .028 will also be installed at the same time.

Turbosmart dual port and CVF Intercooler pipes will follow when the pipes are soon released, and tune will be updated for the addition.

I’ll post sound clips and power impressions for both stages. 93 octane will be used. Depending upon how everything looks an upgraded intercooler might be in the cards as well.

Final addition will be a 54mm turbo upgrade in spring of ‘22.

I’ll update as this progresses!!
Sponsored

Chattownranger

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanic
Did you ever get around to installing this system? I have the dump catback but have been waiting to get the DP. Was just gonna see how you like it if you have done it. Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
Mrmonk7663

Mrmonk7663

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Yes sir I did. Install was smooth. Downpipe flange bolts suck but other than that smooth sailing. I love the sound. It rumbles.

burchs

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4
I know this is an old thread but was wondering if anyone with the over axle dumped exhaust setups has any issue with exhaust fume or kicking up dust in gravel lots, etc? I'm actually looking to just have the stock exhaust modified to go over the rear axle and dump for ground clearance issues..

Thanks

Zetterbeard

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FORD RANGER XLT 4X4
Vehicle Showcase
I too (2 years later than OP) am prepping for a spring install of the SPD DP and over-axel exhaust, but also had a ZZP resonator welded into the exhaust. Similar to OP I have a modified intake, intercooler pipes, Turbosmart BOV, and a tune from Unleashed. I was hoping to see OP's video after seeing this thread since it is such a similar setup to mine, but I will try to post one myself once the install occurs (waiting on warmer weather).

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I'll be curious how the ZZP resonator works to tame the noise. What I liked about my Magnaflow was eliminating the resonator and having the muffler up under the body to clean up the look. I would consider the freeflow downpipe+converter if it just didn't make more noise.

Zetterbeard

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FORD RANGER XLT 4X4
Vehicle Showcase
I'll be curious how the ZZP resonator works to tame the noise. What I liked about my Magnaflow was eliminating the resonator and having the muffler up under the body to clean up the look. I would consider the freeflow downpipe+converter if it just didn't make more noise.
I am quite interested to see how the whole thing comes together, sound specifically. I was more after the performance from the system than the noise though honestly. The ZZP resonator is very low profile and looks like it will fit up in the under body quite snugly. Plus they are local for me so I am happy to support them, and their quality of work seems very nice.

OP
OP
Mrmonk7663

Mrmonk7663

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Sorry guys. I sold the truck. The system was fine. Sounded good. But the truck had a problem. Over 30 tunings revisions. No matter what we tried there was extreme knock registering. Could switched, plugs, motor mount replaced, timing pulled etc etc…nothing worked. Truck was new “demo” so I’m guessing sometime in those 3000 demo miles some idiot ragged the hell out of it while it was cold or something prior to me buying it, and it caused an issue.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Wow, and after your review of the CVF intercooler was featured on their web store.

OP
OP
Mrmonk7663

Mrmonk7663

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Yep. It wasn’t the aftermarket parts that had problems. They were all fine. It was the truck. My first ranger was tuned and upgraded and had no issues. The second one that I put the good stuff on turned out to be a bad truck. Oh well

DranC

First Name
Drandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Healthcare Corp Analyst
I too (2 years later than OP) am prepping for a spring install of the SPD DP and over-axel exhaust, but also had a ZZP resonator welded into the exhaust. Similar to OP I have a modified intake, intercooler pipes, Turbosmart BOV, and a tune from Unleashed. I was hoping to see OP's video after seeing this thread since it is such a similar setup to mine, but I will try to post one myself once the install occurs (waiting on warmer weather).
I have a 2023 XLT SuperCab with CVF Intercooler and pipes, K&N CAI, Ford Performance Tune, and the Turbosmart BOV. After the BOV install I hear a whistle (best way I can describe) when I stomp the gas.. normal? I was expecting some kind of whoosh. Thoughts? TY

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
I have a 2023 XLT SuperCab with CVF Intercooler and pipes, K&N CAI, Ford Performance Tune, and the Turbosmart BOV. After the BOV install I hear a whistle (best way I can describe) when I stomp the gas.. normal? I was expecting some kind of whoosh. Thoughts? TY
I started hearing the whistle after the CVF Pipes and BOV combo. I do get a whoosh when I let off the gas though during high rpms.

Zetterbeard

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FORD RANGER XLT 4X4
Vehicle Showcase
Normal as far as I know, mine is similar. I believe it is the BOV regulating the boost pressure, I am no expert though.
Sponsored