Painting Exhaust Pipes before Installation.

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
I just received my Magna Flow cat backs with the black front end after the muffler. This is 409 steel and was thinking it would rust over time. Would it be smart to paint it all black with high temp paint or find a paint that would reduce the rust Potential? Or is best to leave it alone. Any such knowledge or info would be appreciated. Plan on owning the truck for the long run. Cheers!

A094584F-8A64-4230-829A-3B88E4E5728C.jpeg
Sponsored

deton8r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2008 F150 Foose Edition, 2006 Pontiac GTO, 2004 Buell XB12S, 1995 Yamaha TW200
Vehicle Showcase
If you live in an area where they salt the roads or prone to rust, I would go all out and coat it inside and out with a ceramic exhaust coating and never have to worry about it. I've done this with long tube headers before because I never wanted to have to pull them out and replace them. The coatings come in several colors and some even look like chrome if you like that kind of bling.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
If you're ceramic coating inside and out...should've bought the stainless version:)

deton8r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2008 F150 Foose Edition, 2006 Pontiac GTO, 2004 Buell XB12S, 1995 Yamaha TW200
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 409 stainless Magnaflow cat back on my '06 GTO that still looks like new after 13 years. Rust isn't an issue where I live though. T304 stainless holds up slightly better than 409 but both are very good.

OP
OP
Dmax

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Appreciate all the opinions and feedback. This site is great. Think I’ll leave it as be and make sure to rinse it off after snows. Cheers y’all.
DMAX.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired

Magnaflow

First Name
Magnaflow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Dmax, first off, thanks for choosing Magnaflow for your truck! It's very uncommon for our exhausts to get any rust. In areas with harsh climates and road salt, there's a chance you may experience some light surface rusting after a while, but this can usually be removed by lightly scrubbing with a scotchbrite pad.

If you are leaning towards getting the system coated, we would recommend using a ceramic coat (what we use for our black systems) over powder coat, as it holds up longer. Feel free to shoot us a PM if you have any questions!

OP
OP
Dmax

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Dmax, first off, thanks for choosing Magnaflow for your truck! It's very uncommon for our exhausts to get any rust. In areas with harsh climates and road salt, there's a chance you may experience some light surface rusting after a while, but this can usually be removed by lightly scrubbing with a scotchbrite pad.

If you are leaning towards getting the system coated, we would recommend using a ceramic coat (what we use for our black systems) over powder coat, as it holds up longer. Feel free to shoot us a PM if you have any questions!
Hey,
I think I’m going to leave it as is. It has a lifetime warranty. Filled out warranty sheet online. Going to make sure to keep it clean and it should be fine. Thanks.

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Where did you find that bed carpet liner? That's really nice.

Also, I notice you had the mid bed tie downs. All I have is the pre-drilled holes. I called Ford today about those and was told it is an option, yet guys on the forum pick up a set no charge. Were those included?

OP
OP
Dmax

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Where did you find that bed carpet liner? That's really nice.

Also, I notice you had the mid bed tie downs. All I have is the pre-drilled holes. I called Ford today about those and was told it is an option, yet guys on the forum pick up a set no charge. Were those included?
It’s not a ford option. After market. Bedrug. Stage3 motors has it fairly priced. That’s where I got it

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
I've always just used flat black BBQ paint from Home Depot to paint catbacks whether it be aluminum or stainless.

409 stainless CAN corrode as its not a super high grade stainless.

OP
OP
Dmax

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I've always just used flat black BBQ paint from Home Depot to paint catbacks whether it be aluminum or stainless.

409 stainless CAN corrode as its not a super high grade stainless.
Did you ever get any flaking? Or have to repaint it often?