CV FABRICATION DP INSTALLATION

Phessor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT Crew Cab
Vehicle Showcase
What kind of gains can I expect with no tune?

Travis9935

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
You don't need a tune with a Downpipe... It's a speed density engine. At least that's what Livernois has told me numerous times. You will need a type of defouler for the downstream O2 sensor though so you won't get a cel due to the freer flowing cat.

What kind of gains can I expect with no tune?

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Tremor, '16 Audi TT, '21 Ducati Hyper, '85 E30
Occupation
Engineer
Can you please for the love of god make a catless version!
They stopped because the EPA cracked down hard on aftermarket companies.

There isn't really a such thing as "off-road use only" on a publicly facing ecomm site anymore.

Same goes for the diesel world with DPF deletes, they are dying out.

yamahaSHO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jaztuning.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Ranger, 23 Maverick, 04 S2000, 07 Sky RL
Occupation
ECU Calibration - USAF Retired
Vehicle Showcase
You don't need a tune with a Downpipe... It's a speed density engine. At least that's what Livernois has told me numerous times. You will need a type of defouler for the downstream O2 sensor though so you won't get a cel due to the freer flowing cat.

Actually, a speed density system is more likely to lean out/richen up from increased/decreased VE. MAF cars are the ones that just read the air passing the hot wire sensor without accounting for the efficiency of the engine. SD also is affected by altitude and pressure at the tailpipe from the atmosphere, without proper baro comps.

Travis9935

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Actually, a speed density system is more likely to lean out/richen up from increased/decreased VE. MAF cars are the ones that just read the air passing the hot wire sensor without accounting for the efficiency of the engine. SD also is affected by altitude and pressure at the tailpipe from the atmosphere, without proper baro comps.
Just saying what Livernois told me numerous times. They said there really isn't anything to adjust with exhaust mods. I've seen many posts of people not even having any sort of tune running them.

yamahaSHO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jaztuning.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
30wtq without a tune?

The dyno's I found on a quick search showed results with a tune. That said, lots of low end torque, or a bit peak torque at low RPM need to be done a little more carefully. That's where you beat internals.

Travis9935

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
30wtq without a tune?

The dyno's I found on a quick search showed results with a tune. That said, lots of low end torque, or a bit peak torque at low RPM need to be done a little more carefully. That's where you beat internals.
Again, Livernois said there really isn't any tuning you can do downstream. They're a tuning company I'll take their word for it. When people say it's tuned for it it was prob before epa cracked down. Aka they were able to shut off the rear cat cel from happening. Either way NOBODY can do anything related to tuning with a aftermarket cat anymore.

yamahaSHO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jaztuning.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I know what you said... And I am a tuner. Both Livernois and I tune SHO's and guess who out of the two has tuned the fastest SHO in the world. Not them. ;) I do have a bit of an idea in this area.

That said, I personally would not run any downpipe without a tune, especially if gains are as you claim.

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford ranger xl stx special edition fx2
Occupation
Wind turbine tech
They stopped because the EPA cracked down hard on aftermarket companies.

There isn't really a such thing as "off-road use only" on a publicly facing ecomm site anymore.

Same goes for the diesel world with DPF deletes, they are dying out.
I was looking for a afe twisted steel dp but found theyr discontinued, i might have a shop fab me up a 3 inch downpipe.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Either way NOBODY can do anything related to tuning with a aftermarket cat anymore.
A bit incorrect. There are hundreds of tuners that will tune for high flow cat. Just not the large national, remote tune/OTS tuners.

Find a local tuner with a dyno who works with HPTuners and you'll probably be in luck.

Travis9935

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
I know what you said... And I am a tuner. Both Livernois and I tune SHO's and guess who out of the two has tuned the fastest SHO in the world. Not them. ;) I do have a bit of an idea in this area.

That said, I personally would not run any downpipe without a tune, especially if gains are as you claim.
They
A bit incorrect. There are hundreds of tuners that will tune for high flow cat. Just not the large national, remote tune/OTS tuners.

Find a local tuner with a dyno who works with HPTuners and you'll probably be in luck.
It's HIGHLY illegal! Nobody is going to risk paying that hefty fine.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
They
It's HIGHLY illegal! Nobody is going to risk paying that hefty fine.
Incorrect.

I can put you in touch with a few right now.

The EPA isn't worrying about little guys just yet.
Sponsored