Cut The Cable TV: What Are You Using?

Rone28

First Name
Maurice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2019
I just canceled Dish and now have Youtube TV, HBO max with my phone and Netflix. The dish person asked why would I leave dish and then do YouTube TV.
1. It is cheaper
2. Removed more hardware from the house
3. Helps handle the withdrawal. I can still go find the channels if I miss them.

I would have done the same for my mother but she needs a way to watch the curse of oak island.

I would
Sponsored

pull string get cookies

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 White Platinum
Vehicle Showcase
So we cut an around $42 a month cable bill to a $25 month bill with a wider and better selection.

We use Locast for local stations ($5 per month but only available in certain areas. It's actually free but you will get interrupted by an ad every 15 minutes on the free version) and Philo ($20 per month) for other channels.

Combine this with our other channels (Amazon Prime, Roku channel, Pluto TV, etc) and there is always something on.

I dropped Netflix because I found that I never watched it, and when I did it was to see them butchering something I used to like.

So what are you using instead of cable?
Instead of cable? Never even thought to buy cable, ever. Parents had satellite t.v. when I was growing up, didn’t care about it then either. I just never saw any value in any of it.

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 E450 C-Class, 2019 Ranger Lariat 501A FX4
Youtube TV was my cable replacement especially when it was $35/mo. Then they added Discovery channels and it went up to $49 then recently they added more channels and were like "Great news!, we added channels you don't care about and now your bill $65/mo!!"

So great, now the alternative to Cable is damn near as expensive as cable. If it wasn't for the fact that it's shared with 4 people, it would have been canceled by now.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Had DirecTV for a number of years. One year for lent we gave up TV, so I just canceled the dish. Originally I planned to re-subscribe after Easter by taking advantage of the "Please, just give us another chance" specials. Instead I bought a cheap antenna and was pleasantly surprised by the number of channels we could get. We've been strictly OTA ever since.

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX, 2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Occupation
Appraiser
Hulu Tv. Gets hulu, hulu live, disney + for the kids, espn + for me. All one package. ~60 bucks a month. Netflix and prime video too.

Nellieg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger crew cab
sling, netflix, amazon prime, and OTA. I run an attic antenna and on good days can get 25 channels- bad days 15. I'm a mountain range and 60+ miles from any major market. A storm cloud gives enough absorption to block signals. I'm sure i can work with multiple antennas or climbing on a roof to do a few more. Had the netflix/prime for commuting, with Covid and not commuting- thinking that I might drop the netflix and prime, just order enough to get free shipping when i can from amazon. Actually quite surprised i can even hit signals over the mountain range at this distance with an attic antenna.

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I ditched my cable a few months ago after they raised my rate again. When I called to cancel they offered a reduced rate but I told them to get lost. I knew they would just raise it again next year.

I switched to Hulu with live TV and enhanced DVR option. It has the most channels I wanted plus the local channels. That is kind of the thing with a lot of these streaming services. It seemed each one didn't have one or two channels I like but different by provider. So I had to go with the one that had most of the ones I wanted and give up a couple I kind of like.

I'm happy with it for the most part. It saves me about $75 a month over cable. There are a few things I don't care for. The audio gets weird from time to time. Occasionally there will be a 2 or 3 second significant spike in volume. Also some shows the commercials are noticeably louder.

But the one that really bugs me are their own lame commercials they show for some of their own programs. They sometimes play the same commercial 2 or 3 times during the same show and they often have some annoying phrase in them that gets on my nerves. At times I think if I hear that guy yell, "You're tearing me apart!" one more time I'll toss my TV out the window. :)

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
I get 67 channels from my rabbit ears
favorite channels:
Comet- crappy B flicks and bad sci-fi
Grit- Lots of spaghetti westerns and old shows
Antenna TV- old shows
METV- old shows
LAFF- old sitcoms

Internet stuff- youtube, amazon

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I have YouTube TV an it used to be a great deal at about $40 a month. Got all the locals, local sports networks an a good selection of other channels. You can invite family members to use it too so my daughter uses it. Now that it's $65-70 a month I might drop it an go with sling TV. One thing I don't like about sling is you have to sign up to see what you get in your area. Kinda like we gotta pass the bill to see what's in the bill.

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I have YouTube TV an it used to be a great deal at about $40 a month. Got all the locals, local sports networks an a good selection of other channels. You can invite family members to use it too so my daughter uses it. Now that it's $65-70 a month I might drop it an go with sling TV. One thing I don't like about sling is you have to sign up to see what you get in your area. Kinda like we gotta pass the bill to see what's in the bill.
I think you can look up what local channels in your area are available via sling on their website without signing up. Did you try this link?

https://www.sling.com/programming/locals#otatool

The link above should be found about half way down this page:

https://www.sling.com/programming/locals

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I think you can look up what local channels in your area are available via sling on their website without signing up. Did you try this link?
thanks for the links. They are advertising locals off the air with an antenna. YouTube TV used to have the local sports cable channels but they're off right now they couldn't reach a deal. I might try the trial period but I didn't see a few channels I like for history an militiary stuff.

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
thanks for the links. They are advertising locals off the air with an antenna. YouTube TV used to have the local sports cable channels but they're off right now they couldn't reach a deal. I might try the trial period but I didn't see a few channels I like for history an militiary stuff.
Yeah I had the same kind of problem picking my streaming service, finding the one that had more of the channels I like as opposed to others. I had to give up a few I sort of like to take the service that had most of the ones I like.

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
I just signed up for YouTube TV trial and will be continuing with this service so I can ditch my insanely expensive cable TV. YouTube TV has all the channels we watch, plus all the locals, unlimited DVR space, and its a good chunk cheaper than cable TV here. Also, they're sending out a free Chromecast after the first month so I can add that to another one of our TVs.

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I just signed up for YouTube TV trial and will be continuing with this service so I can ditch my insanely expensive cable TV. YouTube TV has all the channels we watch, plus all the locals, unlimited DVR space, and its a good chunk cheaper than cable TV here. Also, they're sending out a free Chromecast after the first month so I can add that to another one of our TVs.
I decided to give YouTube TV a test drive today. I paused my Hulu subscription before it renews to see if I want to stick to YT. It cost me the same as Hulu with live TV since Hulu up charges for the enhanced DVR.

So far I like the YT interface much, much better than Hulu. Also the sound and picture seems better so far. No weird random volume spikes or commercials louder than shows like I was getting with Hulu. As an added bonus no obnoxious repetitive commercials like the ones Hulu broadcasts for their own programing. I just wish YT had the History Channel.

Last edited:

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I decided to give YouTube TV a test drive today. I paused my Hulu subscription before it renews to see if I want to stick to YT. They cost me the same as Hulu upcharges for the enhanced DVR.

So far I like the YT interface much, much better than Hulu. Also the sound and picture seems better so far. No weird random volume spikes or commercials louder than shows like I was getting with Hulu. As an added bonus no obnoxious repetitive commercials like the ones Hulu broadcasts for their own programing. I just wish YT had the History Channel.
I heard Hulu had a good selection of stuff to watch but being old an cranky I don't want to search for something to watch (streaming only services) I want to look at a list of stuff an chose. If there's nothing I like I'll stream
Sponsored