Cut The Cable TV: What Are You Using?

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
So we cut an around $42 a month cable bill to a $25 month bill with a wider and better selection.

We live 50+ miles from Atlanta and behind a hill to boot, so OTA is basically nonexistent here.

We use Locast for local stations ($5 per month but only available in certain areas. It's actually free but you will get interrupted by an ad every 15 minutes on the free version) and Philo ($20 per month) for other channels.

Combine this with our other channels (Amazon Prime, Roku channel, Pluto TV, etc) and there is always something on.

I dropped Netflix because I found that I never watched it, and when I did it was to see them butchering something I used to like.

So what are you using instead of cable?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bproctor

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 2WD
Occupation
NC National Guard
Tubi, Pluto, xumo, and YouTube. I get HBO max included through att with my phone plan. I don't like the idea of paying for anything I have to watch any commercials on. So I only pay 50 a month for internet until the promotion expires.

Scott D

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/STX
We're using an antenna, lol. We cut off the cable 11 years ago.

We have a homemade antenna (a project from my stepson's Cub Scouts days) attached to the TV in the living room and the only time it's ever turned on is when we sit on the couch and eat dinner. There's some show on a crime channel where a nice older woman cuts up bodies after they died, called Dr. G. Something Something. Great show to watch while eating, lol.

There's a Roku stick attached to the TV downstairs in the Man Room, but it's almost never used.

I watch a few things on YouTube, but it isn't traditional TV stuff. The wife does, too. TV isn't a big deal to us.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
OTA antenna, Amazon Prime TV and Netflix. I have a TiVo OTA 4 channel receiver/recorder setup tied to both living and family room. Get like 28 OTA channels with PBS and all the Sub-channels. Tied to son's Amazon and Netflix accounts, so those are free. Got to get something for raising him. ? Free Prime shipping too.

Use the Tivo for time shifting and skipping commercials.

Hated having to pay for a bunch of channels I never watched.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
Like so many of you, Roku/HULU/Netflix via our internet provider here. Did have a very nice HD antenna set up on an old satellite dish stalk for awhile, but just took it down as we're moving soon.
Don't miss cable/satellite at all.

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 MB GLE350, 2006 Porsche Cayman S
Vehicle Showcase
I subscribe to Hulu+ for Live Local and Cable programming and includes 50hrs of Cloud recordings. Also have a Amazon Prime Membership which includes Amazon Video. Subscribe to BritBox and Disney+ through Amazon Video. Huge selection of Movies and Programs!

Lonewolf

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crewcab FX4
Occupation
Chemist
We have OTA antenna for local channels and philo for more cable channels. We also have HULU, Netflix and Amazon.

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
Netflix, Hulu & Disney+ (packaged together), Amazon Prime (free with Prime), ATT TV and HBOMax (free with ATT TV)..

We cut cable 7-8 years ago just for Netflix and we've slowly been piling the services back on. Much like it was for network TV, there's a few shows on each service we love. Still paying less then we did for Cable / Phone / Internet though.

Last edited:

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
No cable or streaming services. No commercials for me! Hell, I even run adblock, who doesn't in 2020.
Haven't watched actual "tv" in 15 years, and haven't missed it one bit.

Just "gray area" free movies/shows and youtube.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
OTA here too along with an Android box for streaming. There are so many free APK's where you can watch movies and TV shows past and present. I haven't had a cable bill in over 5 years now which was getting to be like a car payment! Well a car payment from back in the 80's. lol

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Antenna. Also Netflix & Disney+ :)

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

Gave up TV some 35 years ago...do not watch. However my wife loves TV, so we retain the Cox cable to the tune of $250 a month as a happy wife results in a happy life. It is just stuff. My problem is Dish or Direct are no better. Being an old fart...I have no idea of other ways to cut the cord and retain my super fast internet via COX. I pay dearly but love the fast speed. Hey...I cannot take it with me so spend it... Our tortoise will have to be transferred to another family in the future so our trust administrator will attach a check to his shell for the next custiodian. Tito cannot spend our money but he will be well cared for.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Reiterd

lawrench

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4 Lightning Blue
Vehicle Showcase
So we cut an around $42 a month cable bill to a $25 month bill with a wider and better selection.

We use Locast for local stations ($5 per month but only available in certain areas. It's actually free but you will get interrupted by an ad every 15 minutes on the free version) and Philo ($20 per month) for other channels.

Combine this with our other channels (Amazon Prime, Roku channel, Pluto TV, etc) and there is always something on.

I dropped Netflix because I found that I never watched it, and when I did it was to see them butchering something I used to like.

So what are you using instead of cable?
FuboTV
Pluto
Amazon Prime
Disney+
CBS All Access
HBO Max through AT&T

I was tired of paying tons for the NFL Sunday Ticket through DirectV so dropped that $200.00/Month payment. really disappointed in DirectV, I was a customer for over 20 years.

oldnslow

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCab Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
I haven't watched TV since I was a teenager in the 1960s. I do listen to a lot of music and spend a fair bit of time on the internet. Between Pandora and AdBlock I don't see many commercials.

DJS 60

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape Ford Ranger
Occupation
Ironworker
I cut the chord several years ago and have an antenna in my attic. I pick up quite a few channels here in the St Louis Missouri area. I also got rid of the wifi so I just use my tablet and phone for Internet
Sponsored