RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Haven't had a chance to dig deep enough yet. You all will definitely know as soon as I do heh.
I will be interested to hear your findings.... Maybe by the time you figure it all out I will have a truck I can apply it to!!!
Sponsored

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
It's not the speed display that's stupid, it's switching to large increments if you hold the button down. That's a very different behavior than most systems, and I'm not convinced that it adds much over just incrementing more slowly.

The digital speedometer probably isn't any more accurate than the analog one; they should show the same data source.
The digital speedometer should be based right off the cruise control radar. It can determine speed quite accurately and is independent of the vehicle drive train. On my Fusion I could see the discrepancy between it and the analog speedo grow as the tires wore out.

DrDom

First Name
Domenico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Best argument I've heard for reading the manual. As I see it, it appears to perform precisely as documented (or as shown in the supporting materials).

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
The digital speedometer should be based right off the cruise control radar. It can determine speed quite accurately and is independent of the vehicle drive train. On my Fusion I could see the discrepancy between it and the analog speedo grow as the tires wore out.
Honestly that sounds completely bogus. I'm not going to believe that Ford bothered to turn the collision avoidance radar into a speedometer without a lot more evidence. The change in the diameter of the tire due to wear is so small that if there was a visible discrepancy it almost had to be something else.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Honestly that sounds completely bogus. I'm not going to believe that Ford bothered to turn the collision avoidance radar into a speedometer without a lot more evidence. The change in the diameter of the tire due to wear is so small that if there was a visible discrepancy it almost had to be something else.
Well, I did mis-speak when I mentioned digital speedometer....the digital readout shows the cruise control set point (adaptive or normal). That said, believe what you will but adaptive cruise control is totally independent of the normal cruise and uses radar to control vehicle speed (and it uses doppler radar to determine if your vehicle is closing in or losing ground to the vehicle in front). That technology and a lot more is built into the unit.

And yes, I did notice the difference in set speed vs speedometer reading when I got new tires (I purposely looked for this and it was about 2mph).

Last edited:

yasince

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
it was one of the first things i was curious could be fixed with a Forscan mod. I don't know that the vehicles that have "adaptive cc with stop n go" have any additional tech components that the ranger doesn't.
Hello, could you achieve this?

Thanks.

Kataphrakt

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT FX4 Offroad
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer - Mirrors
I think it’s super stupid it won’t take you all the way to a stop. It will take you to 10mph then just release the brakes and let you glide. I haven’t let it keep gliding yet to see if the automatic emergency braking kicks in. If the system is smart enough to brake it to 10mph it should take it all the way to 0 and hold it there like many modern adaptive cruise systems like the one on my wife’s Tiguan and the new Gladiator.
My previous car -- a 2019 Fusion SE -- had adaptive cruise control which when the car in front of you gradually stopped, it would also stop, then slowly crawl up to a reasonable space behind it. When the car moved it'd either make you tap the gas pedal to set the CC on again, or crawl forward automatically. In stop-and-go traffic this was great as the car would handle all the acceleration and braking. It also let you set it on while stopped, you just had to not have the brake on to allow it to not be on standby. I sorely miss this feature already.

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, correct answer.
Actually not correct. Or more accurately , it's one of 2 ways to set the speed. One SHORT "Press" will increase or decrease/decrease 1 MPH. One Short "Hold" (about 1 sec) will Increase/Decrease 5 MPH. Continuing to hold will increase/decrease in 5 MPH increments until you release. Had the runaway adventure a couple times until I figured it our myself! Now I use it every day on my compute which has different speed limits. Work just fine particulary with Adaptive Cruise On.

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I think it’s super stupid it won’t take you all the way to a stop. It will take you to 10mph then just release the brakes and let you glide. I haven’t let it keep gliding yet to see if the automatic emergency braking kicks in. If the system is smart enough to brake it to 10mph it should take it all the way to 0 and hold it there like many modern adaptive cruise systems like the one on my wife’s Tiguan and the new Gladiator.
There are 2 different version of Adaptive Cruise. What you are describing is call Stop & Go (S&G) Adaptive Cruise. The version on the Ranger is designed primarily for Highway use where S&G is't as frequent. Takes alittle gettingused to, but it's not an unusual version in a Truck.

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
There are 2 different version of Adaptive Cruise. What you are describing is call Stop & Go (S&G) Adaptive Cruise. The version on the Ranger is designed primarily for Highway use where S&G is't as frequent. Takes alittle gettingused to, but it's not an unusual version in a Truck.
And it's exactly what I had in my 2015 Explorer. No S&G, just regular adaptive cruise which works just fine.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Actually not correct. Or more accurately , it's one of 2 ways to set the speed. One SHORT "Press" will increase or decrease/decrease 1 MPH. One Short "Hold" (about 1 sec) will Increase/Decrease 5 MPH. Continuing to hold will increase/decrease in 5 MPH increments until you release. Had the runaway adventure a couple times until I figured it our myself! Now I use it every day on my compute which has different speed limits. Work just fine particulary with Adaptive Cruise On.
There is nothing incorrect in post #15.
Sponsored