Concerns with the alternator mounting location?

OP
OP

ch57

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBS 7.3, Jeep TJ
Yeah good point... but being it mounted so low even a foot deep puddle could put it under water - hardly considered a mud pit. But it sounds like there's been no major issues and I'm sure plenty of folks have put them through some rough situations.

This is probably not a concern.

The only failures I'm aware of are after deep mudhole crossings where the alternator was actually submerged.

That said, if I know I'm likely to do a mud crossing (VERY likely in North GA) I will take my Jeep instead. The alternator on it is mounted high in the front/center of the V8.
Hum. I thought the Ranger was a medium-sized pickup truck, not a mud buggy!
Sponsored

OP
OP

ch57

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBS 7.3, Jeep TJ
Inquiring minds really needed to know to make sure it wouldn't be a problem for my use (not as intense as this guy. So some more research found this.

Here, at 3:45 he did not have a problem. That was pretty clean water.

Here though - he did have a problem. That mud puddle doesn't seem to be that deep - maybe a foot or two, he just went through it fast I think. But this did fry the alternator. So, for some that could be a problem.

cVelBlu91

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F-150 STX 4x4 "Big Blue"
Occupation
Payroll
It doesn't take much to flood wash my neighborhood in the ABQ metro when we get deluges of rain in the late spring and throughout the summer. That said that hasn't stopped my Dad's FX4 at all when he's had to take it through draining roads in my neighborhood. Hmmmm. ?

I also found this thread from 2019 talking about this to some degree as I was curious to know more about the alternator.

gwhalin

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Retired
I was worried about this initially, but I can only remember reading one issue of the alternator failing. If it was happening at any frequency, I think it would be all over these forums (see the fuel in oil, slip yoke, transmission threads). I don't worry about it anymore. Sure, don't bomb into water, but doesn't strike me as something super common.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
On the Facebook Florida Rangers page I'm aware of at least one failure in a group meetup after some water travel.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather

remtv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT , 2001 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Engineer, Student
Yeah it doesn't seem to be a huge issue , although It did take me by surprise when I found out about it living in Florida and all.

It is a pretty subpar setup and it doesn't seem like the competitors suffer from this. Hopefully they do better with he 2023 although I think at least the 2.3 broncos have it at the same location as well

Last edited:
OP
OP

ch57

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBS 7.3, Jeep TJ
looking at schematics....how low do you guys think it is on the engine?
this seems to show it above the centreline of the crank if its correct.

1645471196545.png
Looks like 3 bolts. 2 short ones coming from the drivers side to the engine, but one that comes from the engine side and screws into the alternator - kinda strange.

I'm sure somebody could make a splash guard easy enough to protect it from driving through puddles or on the highway. However, anything above hub centerline is going to get it soaked. However I do recall now something about the rear axle seals also not being sufficient for water above axle centerline. Can't remember why though... The breather tubes for the front axle and transaxle I think are also just barely level with the top of the tires.

Not a problem for most people but always good to know your vehicle very well before venturing too far off pavement.

Last edited:

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
Rock auto has one alt left - motorcraft not a reman...Just FYI

I'll remain out of the mud in my Ranger and keep using my ATV. :p

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
I was under the impression that several people here have buggered their alternators on due to mud contamination/going through water crossings. There are some YouTube videos about it.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
i think maybe 3 or less may have had this alternator issue. the reason im annoyed with this issue is that most forms of off road driving involve mud / water or slop at some point. im not a mudder. but in my view center of hubs and down for water or a muddy spot on a trail is not that extreme, esp when many rangers are sold as off road packages. nothing much can be done except get a spare alternator and be ready to change one out trail side and be ready get dirty doing it. i guess its not bad to get to after taking off the skid plate. i wonder how long the ranger will go before the battery gives up after the alternator dies??
Sponsored