Colored lug nuts

Hack_Actual

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
So, have a guy help out and do the work, then order from amazon?

This is what is wrong........

I will never understand this
LOL

You don't understand a competitive market wherein the buyer looks for the best possible bang for their buck and spends THEIR money accordingly? The guy helping them is still getting paid...

EDIT: I understand your stance, to an extent.
Sponsored

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
LOL

You don't understand a competitive market wherein the buyer looks for the best possible bang for their buck and spends THEIR money accordingly? The guy helping them is still getting paid...

EDIT: I understand your stance, to an extent.

no, you are asking someone to perform a service for no compensation. There is a huge difference.

laugh all you want. that is a dick move.

Hack_Actual

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
no, you are asking someone to perform a service for no compensation. There is a huge difference.

laugh all you want. that is a dick move.
He’s an hourly employee- he gets paid regardless whether or not someone purchases from him. Hell, the good ones tell you where it’s cheaper and advise you to go there to save the money.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
He’s an hourly employee- he gets paid regardless whether or not someone purchases from him. Hell, the good ones tell you where it’s cheaper and advise you to go there to save the money.
Really? No sales. No money. No paycheck.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
And regardless of salesman getting paid or not.....you are still expecting service for free.

Jim C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger
your kidding right?

When i get a sales person who gives me REAL info so I can make a decision & it means not buying from that sales guy i will seek that person out when i need something else knowing im not going to get boned in that transaction.

SO that no sale may turn out to become many sales as well as word of mouth

that being said the No sale = much more money = bigger paycheck

Hack_Actual

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
the good ones?

perhaps the dumb ones that dont understand that sales are what pay is paycheck.
if he's sending you to amazon or elsewhere, he's signing his own pink slip down the road.
And regardless of salesman getting paid or not.....you are still expecting service for free.
No one at Pep Boys, Autozone, Etc. are commission based positions, they are hourly (anywhere I’ve ever lived, anyway). Among their job requirements is assisting customers find what they need, stock shelves, answer phones, deliver parts, etc. If a customer walks in and asks for a part number, or help locating something and they subsequently leave without purchase, for whatever reason, that employee has fulfilled his position. Likewise, if a customer CALLS and never enters the store, that employee still assists on the phone. They make the same money in both instances as hourly employees and in both instances they’ve helped a customer.

Y’all are being unreasonable. Business is driven by competition and if a business cannot be competitive in today’s market by offering what customers need or want at competitive prices, the company is responsible for the loss of sales, not the employee.

I worked retail automotive decades ago in highschool and not one time was my job ever at risk because I didn’t sell something that the competition down the road was offering cheaper.

Funny that this conversation is even taking place when not one person in this forum is going to walk into a dealership and not negotiate with a salesman for a better price or put dealerships in a competition for their business. In the end, the losing dealer has done a bunch of work and has nothing to show for it. As you’ve said, they’ve performed a service for you by working numbers, asking bosses, clearing deals; all for naught and without compensation when they can’t beat the price you’ve found elsewhere. Boom, such is the competitive market.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

A lug nut back story. In the early 1980s we had an issue with wheel separation from the vehicle on 4x4 Rangers and Explorers. Several assembly plants involved, so this problem ended up in my lap in the CAE and Product Verification Department. The knee jerk solution was torque the wheels to 130 ft-lbs... So I took my lovely secretary out to a vehicle and had her try to loosen lug nuts at 130 ft-lbs with the vehicle lug wrench....She could not do it...so I got several more secretaries and the same result. I presented this to the upper management and got an assignment to figure out what was going on. Assigned one of my engineers to do the deep dive into wheel attachment. He found we had Grade 5 Wheel studs, Grade 8 wheel studs and Grade 2 lug nuts, grade 5 lug nuts and grade 8 lug nuts. What???? So we set up a design of experiments, using our flat track machine, which looks like a giant belt sander with an A frame above to which a spindle is mounted and can be rotated like a steering knuckle. We Went to Carron & Co who could instrument wheel studs for wheel clamp...about $1000 per stud...we had 20 wheel studs instrumented and installed in sequence. We monitored torque loss. What we found was the worst case was Grade 8 studs with Grade 8 lug nuts...Reason....No stretch in the joint. So we broomed the grade 8 lug nuts from production and changed the release to Grand 5 studs and grade 2 or 5 lug nuts. Turns out this was not a so simple problem to solve.... Bottom line...I am always concerned with replacement of lug nuts with aftermarket and as such I choose to leave well enough alone and use only OEM. In the days now of metric studs and lug nuts I have no idea what is what, but would highly recommend when you install aftermarket lug nuts, check for loosening until you get the feeling for the fact the wheels stay tight...It is a more complex joint than you would imagine. I learned a lot on understanding this problem.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

A lug nut back story. In the early 1980s we had an issue with wheel separation from the vehicle on 4x4 Rangers and Explorers. Several assembly plants involved, so this problem ended up in my lap in the CAE and Product Verification Department. The knee jerk solution was torque the wheels to 130 ft-lbs... So I took my lovely secretary out to a vehicle and had her try to loosen lug nuts at 130 ft-lbs with the vehicle lug wrench....She could not do it...so I got several more secretaries and the same result. I presented this to the upper management and got an assignment to figure out what was going on. Assigned one of my engineers to do the deep dive into wheel attachment. He found we had Grade 5 Wheel studs, Grade 8 wheel studs and Grade 2 lug nuts, grade 5 lug nuts and grade 8 lug nuts. What???? So we set up a design of experiments, using our flat track machine, which looks like a giant belt sander with an A frame above to which a spindle is mounted and can be rotated like a steering knuckle. We Went to Carron & Co who could instrument wheel studs for wheel clamp...about $1000 per stud...we had 20 wheel studs instrumented and installed in sequence. We monitored torque loss. What we found was the worst case was Grade 8 studs with Grade 8 lug nuts...Reason....No stretch in the joint. So we broomed the grade 8 lug nuts from production and changed the release to Grand 5 studs and grade 2 or 5 lug nuts. Turns out this was not a so simple problem to solve.... Bottom line...I am always concerned with replacement of lug nuts with aftermarket and as such I choose to leave well enough alone and use only OEM. In the days now of metric studs and lug nuts I have no idea what is what, but would highly recommend when you install aftermarket lug nuts, check for loosening until you get the feeling for the fact the wheels stay tight...It is a more complex joint than you would imagine. I learned a lot on understanding this problem.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired.
Interesting story - I would never have thought about no stretch in the joint with Grade 8 nuts. Fascinating.

My lug nut story was a long time ago when I learned the hard way that steel wheels and mag wheel lug nuts are NOT interchangeable. I got a flat and had a steel wheel spare which I put on using the mag wheel lug nuts and then drove to the nearest tire shop. When they looked at the tire, they said it was un-repairable and they didn't have any tires in stock of that size.so they put the steel wheel back on with the mag wheel lug nuts. I drove the car home (maybe a mile), parked it and then drove it to the tire shop where I had purchased the tires. I was about 4 or 5 miles from home on the freeway when I started feeling a wobble - I was about to pull over when the rear of the car dropped and my rear wheel passed me on the freeway at rush hour! It was pretty scary - Fortunately, I had traction bars on the car and it skidded to a stop on the traction bar (otherwise I would have had a lot of significant rear end damage). Moral of the story - make sure you have the CORRECT lug nuts for the type of wheel you have. I now have a set of the CORRECT lug nuts for the steel wheel spare in that car if I ever need them.

CaptainAmericaRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Machine & Tool Designer- Ford Motor Comapny
Vehicle Showcase
got mine from LUGNUTGUYS.COM. i had to buy one extra set because they did not come in a 6 pack.

IMG_20190420_170007.jpg

IMG_20190420_170026.jpg

IMG_20190420_170119.jpg

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
No one at Pep Boys, Autozone, Etc. are commission based positions, they are hourly (anywhere I’ve ever lived, anyway). Among their job requirements is assisting customers find what they need, stock shelves, answer phones, deliver parts, etc. If a customer walks in and asks for a part number, or help locating something and they subsequently leave without purchase, for whatever reason, that employee has fulfilled his position. Likewise, if a customer CALLS and never enters the store, that employee still assists on the phone. They make the same money in both instances as hourly employees and in both instances they’ve helped a customer.
You seem to not get it. The employees aren't getting paid from some big pot of money at the end of the rainbow, they're getting paid from the money the store makes selling things. If you use the employee's time without buying something, you're expecting the store to subsidize your research for free. Justifying that by saying it's the store's responsibility to set competitive prices is a crock--no brick and mortar store that's trying to provide good service can compete against a model that has zero overhead (overhead such as the store you're standing in, the cost to heat & cool & illuminate the store, the inventory you're looking at, and, most expensive, the employee you're talking to). When a sufficiently large percentage of people act in this (arguably unethical) fashion, the stores will simply go out of business, the employees will be out of a job, and you'll have to figure out a new way to browse merchandise for free. If you know you're going to buy online (without any deceptive bs about "giving the store a chance to compete on price") then just buy online; if the online shopping experience sucks without a person to talk to and a chance to look at what you're buying, then give the money to the place that's providing the experience you want.

Last edited:

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Why would you want blue nuts? LOL A man was driving near a fence around a mentally challenged facility when his wheel came loose. He stopped and discovered that he had lost all lug nuts from one wheel. As he lamented his plight a man on the other side of the fence come over and asked the driver what happened. After telling the patient on the inside of the Mental Facility that he had lost all the lug nuts on one wheel the patient said why dont you take one nut from the other wheels and use the three nuts to put on the loose wheel till you get to a repair facility. The driver said wow that is a good idea, why are you in that facility. The patient said I may be insane but I am not stupid. :LOL::question::crackup:

khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Crewcab FX4
Vehicle Showcase
got mine from LUGNUTGUYS.COM. i had to buy one extra set because they did not come in a 6 pack.

IMG_20190420_170007.jpg

IMG_20190420_170026.jpg

IMG_20190420_170119.jpg
Those look great! Browsing through their website though, I don't see them. Can you provide a link?

CaptainAmericaRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Machine & Tool Designer- Ford Motor Comapny
Vehicle Showcase
here's the link, but may not be the right size, i just clicked one.
they have various sizes and colors, but color choice is kind of limited.
i think fr the Ranger they came in 4 or 5 colors...
i looked up the size for the truck and searched by size.M12x1.50 i think....

https://www.lugnutguys.com/products/lug-nuts/color-acorn/12-125

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
I’m not sure if this is where this goes but if I wanted to look for colored lugs or spikes what size do I need? On my escape I had to change the lugs cause they swelled does anyone know if the ranger has the same ones? Swollen nuts suck
Its funny so many of us also have an Escape, My wifes 2016 has had nothing but issues from day one with swollen lug nuts. FOMOCO should just add $25 to every vehicle and supply solid nuts, black if needed to match rims! After they tried to actually charge me once at like 12k miles at the stealership I said nope, if it does not last for the base 3yr/36k ford needs to eat it! [they did] the next visit they dick'd up my rim trying to get them off and acted like they did me a favor. I lost my S**t and they ended up replacing it with the lugs AGAIN. I then went to Amazon and bought some chrome solids and they are starting to surface rust a little but NO swelling...

Hey anyone find some really good quality black ones for the Ranger yet?
Sponsored