Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Howdy friends,

Yesterday I took out my ROUSH CAI filter and gave it a proper cleaning. I first tapped on it lightly on a hard surface to drop all the heavier debris(a ton came out). Then I used a detailing brush to clean out the pockets of the filter, lots of weeds, little seeds etc. I guess when you WOT all the time, it really sucks in the whole world :giggle: However, I will say that the factory airbox is well made(ROUSH is only top half). There was a full bodied bee sitting in the middle left with a bunch of heavier sand etc. I saw a scientific explanation for this in how the air circumvents in the right way that heavier particles drop to the bottom of the airbox. And yup, all in one little square mostly.

I just grabbed some intake filter cleaner(no oils) and drenched the filter in sprays. Washed out with low pressure water, then did it again. Two times, let it dry in warm shade and overnight for safety... Put the filter back on this morning and WOW. BIG BIG difference, I felt my power was returned to me. There was some slight heavier lag(than usual) when slamming medal to the pedal and I noticed my 0-60 times were at 6.5 seconds. I have now returned back to 5.8, granted I have hit some 5's before but anything under 6 is fine with me knowing how hard I run this truck and I have an extra few hundred pounds on the bed currently. I also feel the power is just more linear. Might be just in my head, but I am pretty sure when you run close to 20k miles WOT all the time the intake filter gets pretty grimey and blocked up.

Now here's the question. How much effect do you think cleaning the intake filter actually did? Since I ran the 0-60 is 85 degree evening weather yesterday, today after cleaning, it was a cool morning at 70. I am almost certain the cooler air helps a good bit, but how much? Looking for some knowledgeable folks here and some science or experience to back it up. Since most of this is just talking out my ass but my butt dyno I feel is pretty fine tuned. :turkey:

Warm regards,
Brandon

EDIT: I have a Magnum AFE Air Scoop, this could be the cause of extra debris and even warrants more cleaning of the intake filter.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
@DukeCanBuildit this might be good info for your future upgrades :giggle: Especially if you off-road often. I only go out a few times a year, mostly in windy dusty deserts. When I go to the deserts I will be putting back on the stock air scoop(2 minute install)

Reactions: Doc

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
@DukeCanBuildit this might be good info for your future upgrades :giggle: Especially if you off-road often. I only go out a few times a year, mostly in windy dusty deserts. When I go to the deserts I will be putting back on the stock air scoop(2 minute install)
Dust? It’s about as humid as it can get here. I’m more worried about having to wring out my air filter than clean out any dust. ?
Sponsored