Air Filters on Turbo Intake?

Zanardi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Saber 4x4 Sport
My Ranger engine is my first turbocharged engine. I noticed the fresh air intake tube/hose on each turbo attaches to the grill area of the truck. The question just crossed my mind - is there an air filter on each air intake somewhere? If not what keeps dust and such out of the engine? It appears like the air flows directly from the grill into the turbo without a filter along the way.

I find the standard air filter/intake box that every engine has. It doesn't appear however to tie into the turbo system in any way. In my defense it is about 10 degrees outside as I write this so I admit I didn't stare at the setup very long so I may have missed something obvious.
Sponsored

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
My Ranger engine is my first turbocharged engine. I noticed the fresh air intake tube/hose on each turbo attaches to the grill area of the truck. The question just crossed my mind - is there an air filter on each air intake somewhere? If not what keeps dust and such out of the engine? It appears like the air flows directly from the grill into the turbo without a filter along the way.

I find the standard air filter/intake box that every engine has. It doesn't appear however to tie into the turbo system in any way. In my defense it is about 10 degrees outside as I write this so I admit I didn't stare at the setup very long so I may have missed something obvious.
you're probably looking at the connection from the turbo to the intercooler. air doesn't enter the system via that pipe, it just gets cooled the same way coolant does in the radiator. the air enters the system via what you probably identified as the intake/filter box.

OP
OP

Zanardi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
you're probably looking at the connection from the turbo to the intercooler. air doesn't enter the system via that pipe, it just gets cooled the same way coolant does in the radiator. the air enters the system via what you probably identified as the intake/filter box.
Thanks VAMike. I think you hit it right on the head. I didn't even know an intercooler existed. I just took a look at a couple diagrams and I think I understand the setup now. It's interesting - most generic diagrams I find show the fresh air circulating through the system but don't seem to show how/where the fresh air actually enters the turbo loop.

Good news I guess. I was thinking I might be in for additional filters to monitor and replace down the line.

OP
OP

Zanardi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This raises another noob question. Are the turbines always running and the only way that air is introduced into the engine? Or is it a case where the engine is normally aspirated at low speed/light loads and the turbos only kick in when "needed" based on the engine load?

This ties into a MPG question. The turbo is supposed to help with MPG as a car manufacturer can crank sufficient power out of a smaller engine to power a larger car. If the turbo does not kick in until "needed" by the engine - it means at lower speeds and around town I'm essentially powering my heavy truck with a small normally aspirated 4 cylinder engine. It seems any MPG benefit would only be at higher speeds/load.

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
This raises another noob question. Are the turbines always running and the only way that air is introduced into the engine? Or is it a case where the engine is normally aspirated at low speed/light loads and the turbos only kick in when "needed" based on the engine load?

This ties into a MPG question. The turbo is supposed to help with MPG as a car manufacturer can crank sufficient power out of a smaller engine to power a larger car. If the turbo does not kick in until "needed" by the engine - it means at lower speeds and around town I'm essentially powering my heavy truck with a small normally aspirated 4 cylinder engine. It seems any MPG benefit would only be at higher speeds/load.
You only have ONE Turbo. It helps smaller engines produce more HP by forcing more air into the cylinders to produce a greater explosion with ignition. The increased MPG comes from fewer cylinders to produce the same HP.

IndySouth

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Crew Cab 4WD
Occupation
Retired

There actually is a Turbo Filter. Ford Part No. JT4Z-6C683-A

IndySouth

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Crew Cab 4WD
Occupation
Retired
Does anyone know where this Turbo Filter. (Ford Part No. JT4Z-6C683-A) actually goes? Picture would be great.

Filter  JT4Z6C683A
Ford Parts Logo

Filter Part #: 6C683Turbocharger
Usages:

12/01/2018, TFG Ranger 2019-, 2.3L EcoBoost

Reactions: Doc

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Does anyone know where this Turbo Filter. (Ford Part No. JT4Z-6C683-A) actually goes? Picture would be great.

Filter  JT4Z6C683A
Ford Parts Logo

Filter Part #: 6C683Turbocharger
Usages:

12/01/2018, TFG Ranger 2019-, 2.3L EcoBoost

Number 21 in picture
Turbo Charge boost pressure it says

EA97F38A-F030-4ED1-9949-B7C6624A4A9B.png

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
it's the new transmission fluid change dilemma... do we need to change these every oil change now? or just every new trans install?😬
Sponsored