First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Once I put a tonneau cover on the bed of my Ranger, it was impossible to see what was stored back there at night. Here's a video I made that details how I installed a really cheap DIY light kit that works fantastically well:
Sponsored

hsmith21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Silver FX4 302a
Thoughts on feasibility of hooking into the 12v that is already in the bed to wire it up?

mURmECH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor, 2019 Ranger
Just saw the whole video. I know I speak for many when I say awesome @quangdog.

OP
OP
quangdog

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Thoughts on feasibility of hooking into the 12v that is already in the bed to wire it up?
I thought about how to get power back there for a long time, and considered using the plug that lives near the rear left tire under the bed wall (intended for 12v power outlet for the bed - mine did not come with that option installed, but the plug is there near the passenger tire). The plug itself down there is pretty easy to access, but you'd have to either cut off the factory connector or come up with your own adapter to fit it. I believe elsewhere in this forum another member showed how they used the cap that comes on that plug from the factory (to keep dirt etc out of it) to fabricobble an adapter.

However, the main reason I didn't do it that way is that I wanted my lights controlled by the manual switch in the bed. That 12v power supply has a time limit on it after the truck is turned off, and I didn't want the truck to cut power to my circuit, ever. I wanted to control it myself. This means I can have the lights on back there for as long as I want, and since they draw such a tiny amount of current, I don't need to be concerned with having them on even for a few hours at a stretch.

OP
OP
quangdog

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Just saw the whole video. I know I speak for many when I say awesome @quangdog.
Hey, thanks! I hope some of the videos I've posted have been useful. This forum has provided SO much information and help to me with my truck, and I like to give back.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Once I put a tonneau cover on the bed of my Ranger, it was impossible to see what was stored back there at night. Here's a video I made that details how I installed a really cheap DIY light kit that works fantastically well:
Great job! Is your video on YouTube? Do you have links to it as well as links to the lights and switch?

OP
OP
quangdog

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Great job! Is your video on YouTube? Do you have links to it as well as links to the lights and switch?
Thanks! Yup, if you hover over the video while it is playing there should be a link to see it on YouTube. I have links for everything in the video description there.

If you can't find it there, here's a link direct to my channel, and this video should be easy to find there: https://www.youtube.com/AmplifyDIY

lanceriley

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor
Occupation
Farmer
hi just got a ranger raptor as a replacement to my 6yr old wildtrak. I always have this problem in the bed. when im loading stuff at night at the farm. The hole for the switch. did you drill that?

or is it pre drilled in the liner?

this seems to be a very good solution unloading and loading after sunset.

OP
OP
quangdog

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
hi just got a ranger raptor as a replacement to my 6yr old wildtrak. I always have this problem in the bed. when im loading stuff at night at the farm. The hole for the switch. did you drill that?

or is it pre drilled in the liner?

this seems to be a very good solution unloading and loading after sunset.
The hole for the switch was there from the factory. My bedliner is a spray-in one, and I asked them to mask off all the factory holes before they sprayed, so I didn't have to even clean out the hole. I just measured the exact diameter and ordered a switch to fit.

Of course mine is a US market ranger, so your bed may be different as it sounds like you are in Australia or Europe. I'd love to see what your lighting solution looks like when it's finished. Good luck!

lanceriley

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor
Occupation
Farmer
The hole for the switch was there from the factory. My bedliner is a spray-in one, and I asked them to mask off all the factory holes before they sprayed, so I didn't have to even clean out the hole. I just measured the exact diameter and ordered a switch to fit.

Of course mine is a US market ranger, so your bed may be different as it sounds like you are in Australia or Europe. I'd love to see what your lighting solution looks like when it's finished. Good luck!
Im in Asia Philippines. went over the truck bed. No holes. it has a plastic bed liner on it. in my old pickup it never cracked for 6years . loaded all konds of stuff but not heavy. No cover.

the lights havent arrived yet but its similar. im gona have to hide it somewhere in the bed. thanks!

deton8r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2008 F150 Foose Edition, 2006 Pontiac GTO, 2004 Buell XB12S, 1995 Yamaha TW200
Vehicle Showcase
I've been researching those inexpensive LED kits after passing on the ridiculously overpriced rope lighting upcharge on the A.R.E. canopy I have on order. I actually just stumbled across your video on YouTube and noticed it was a Ranger.

:thumbsup:Excellent video and level of detail. You used a very stealthy ground location, much cleaner than anything I would have considered. I'm probably going to pick up some of those solder butt connectors, that switch and maybe the same light pods.

JimH

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCrew
Occupation
Retired
I used the same lights, but a couple of them wouldn't stay stuck with the double-sided tape, so I took advantage of the screw hole in each light and added a stainless steel sheet metal screw in each one. Problem solved.

OP
OP
quangdog

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Attached one of these gadgets to your heat gun to distribute heat more evenly around the wire.
  • More even heating
  • No need to rotate the wire
  • Fewer unwanted background fires ???‍? !!!
Image 1553.png
I didn't even know this was a thing! Thanks for pointing it out. :)

OP
OP
quangdog

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I used the same lights, but a couple of them wouldn't stay stuck with the double-sided tape, so I took advantage of the screw hole in each light and added a stainless steel sheet metal screw in each one. Problem solved.
Nice! How did the whole install turn out? Are you happy with how bright the lights are etc?
Sponsored