Cars.com: How Do Car Seats Fit in a 2019 Ford Ranger?

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Cars.com: How Do Car Seats Fit in a 2019 Ford Ranger?

ford-ranger-2019-csc-scorecard.png

The verdict: The 2019 Ford Ranger marks the return of a mid-size pickup truck to Ford’s lineup. While the automaker earns an A for returning to a competitive class with this capable truck, there’s room for a lot of improvement when it comes to the Ranger’s Latch system setup.

Does it fit three car seats? No

Take a look at how the Latch system and each car seat scored below in our Car Seat Check of the 2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew.

A Grade
  • Rear-facing convertible: The rear-facing convertible installed easily into the Ranger thanks to the convertible’s rigid Latch connectors. The connectors are encased in hard plastic that allow you to push back against the encroaching seat cushions around the Latch anchors.
B Grade
  • Latch system: The Ford Ranger has two sets of lower Latch anchors and three top tether anchors behind the rear seatbacks. The seat cushions sit firmly against the top of the lower Latch anchors, making it difficult to connect to them with a car seat’s hooklike anchor. As frustrating as that can be, it’s nothing when compared to the tether anchor setup: To access the anchors, you need to fold the rear seat and locate the anchors, which weren’t marked in our test vehicle. Correctly installing a forward-facing convertible with this setup will require an incredible amount of patience.
  • Infant seat: Unlike the convertible car seat, our infant seat has hooklike Latch connectors, and we struggled to push past the seat cushions to get at the lower Latch anchors. Once the car seat was installed, we had to move the front passenger seat forward roughly an inch to give the infant seat enough clearance in the rear. Our 5-foot-7 tester still had enough legroom in the front seat to sit comfortably.
  • Booster: Our high-back booster seat fit well on the Ranger’s flat seat cushions. The floppy seat belt buckle, however, can be difficult for younger children to grasp. If your child is struggling, try installing their booster seat in a different rear position, as the other seats have stable buckles that may allow your child to buckle up independently.
C Grade
  • Forward-facing convertible: We were able to easily connect to the lower Latch anchors with the forward convertible, but using the tether anchors was a struggle and the Ranger’s grade here was downgraded because of it. The anchors sit behind the rear seatback, which has to be folded to access them. The tether anchors also weren’t marked — making it difficult to figure out where to connect the tether strap. It’s a difficult setup to use, and in the Ranger, it’s made worse because the whole seatback has to be folded down to access just one tether anchor.
Sponsored

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
Good read. I currently have a Grace Extend2Fit rear facing seat in my truck for my daughter. I have it in the 2nd of 4 extension settings and I can easily fit in the passenger seat ahead of it, I’m about 5’10”. My brother in law has sat there at 6’2” but his knees were very close to the dash.

petulantskeptic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Super Crew Lariat
I've got a pre-schooler and an infant and this review makes no sense. I've got an Chicco KeyFit on one side -- attaching the infant seat base is a cinch (i.e. it can be done in <30 seconds); attaching the KeyFit without the base isn't particularly hard using the rear seat shoulder straps.

Installing my pre-schooler's Clek Foonf is similarly easy with the latch system. Once they grow out of the weight limits for the latch system it's a bit annoying to use the belt, but that's true of every car. I'm 5'11" and the Foonf does touch the front seat ahead of it when mounted rear-facing, but not enough to alter the geometry of how it sits.

Maybe it's because I have the leather seats that I find it so easy, but I none of these criticisms make any sense to me and I've taken those car seats and bases in and out of my Ranger dozens of times.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
My daughter's Graco seat fits in very easily, but I wish I could put it in the middle for the (few) times when we need four adults in the truck as well!

SN13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
Graco Full size Nautilus
20191017_104621.jpg

No issues.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
No kids here. But those brackets make good bungee chord attachment points. :like:

So what you are saying is simply throwing the kids in the bed with some toys, closing the tonneau cover and tailgate and heading on down the road is frowned upon :giggle:

Auto Strap.jpg

Last edited:

Ron Heritage

First Name
Roniac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
I think the C grade is fairly accurate for front facing convertible. The tether anchor surely was a struggle. For this reason it makes me wish even more we had 40/60 split rears. It's not a quick removal of the baby seat to access underneath. But with all the other safety features put into this truck this C grade is nothing really more than a small annoyance if anything. Our babies still can ride in style with peace of mind.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think the C grade is fairly accurate for front facing convertible. The tether anchor surely was a struggle. For this reason it makes me wish even more we had 40/60 split rears. It's not a quick removal of the baby seat to access underneath. But with all the other safety features put into this truck this C grade is nothing really more than a small annoyance if anything. Our babies still can ride in style with peace of mind.
That’s the important part for sure. They’re worth the extra time to make sure everything is right!

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The first accessory installed on my Ranger.

IMG_0521.jpeg
I was going to get one of those for my daughter but I read lots of reviews that said it was too narrow for many kids. Turns out my daughter is tall and slim and would have been fine. Have you had any issues with yours?

PvtZoller

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I was going to get one of those for my daughter but I read lots of reviews that said it was too narrow for many kids. Turns out my daughter is tall and slim and would have been fine. Have you had any issues with yours?
No issues with fitment that I can tell anyway, though my kids are still small.

The normal size 3 year old loves riding in the truck in her pink seat. The petite 6 year old mentions that her seat in my wife’s CR-V is more comfortable (Diono Radian RXT) but she also complains about everything and loves everything about that mommy has to offer. So take that with a grain of salt.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No issues with fitment that I can tell anyway, though my kids are still small.

The normal size 3 year old loves riding in the truck in her pink seat. The petite 6 year old mentions that her seat in my wife’s CR-V is more comfortable (Diono Radian RXT) but she also complains about everything and loves everything about that mommy has to offer. So take that with a grain of salt.
Lol that sounds like my niece! Thanks for the input.

Vandal

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
One of the reasons I bought a Ranger was so my boys would fit better than in my previous truck, a 2015 Nissan Frontier. They have plenty of room in their front facing car seats now. I will say that installing the car seats was made difficult by the folding rear seat, enough so that I wouldn't want to take them in and out frequently.

woodzy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2013 Ford Tauraus
I will say that installing the car seats was made difficult by the folding rear seat, enough so that I wouldn't want to take them in and out frequently.
I told the wife, if she needs the seat, she can take the truck - I'm not swapping it to her car.
Sponsored