CarPlay microphone volume level

Ralphie

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat
I have the same issue, has anyone found a resolution yet? Apple Carplay works perfect with my phone in every other vehicle I've ever been in (including Fords with SYNC3).
Sponsored

Hack_Actual

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
I've had the same issue in both Rangers and someone suggested that once plugged in the system diverts to the phone's microphone as opposed to the system's. I don't know the validity of that, but CarPlay audio sucks when making calls, the volume control does nothing, and the only viable solution so far is to unplug your phone, reconnect to Bluetooth, and then talk.

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Emissions testing supplier
Did anyone ever figure this out? I was hoping upgrading to 3.4 would resolve it but its still horrible.

rnewton75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F250 Lariat
Occupation
Construction
Hi All,

I know this is a Ranger forum but this is the best discussion about this CarPlay issue that I've found.

I'm having the exact same issue with my 2020 F250 Lariat with sync 3.4 Built 19200 & iPhone XS. I've also tried everything that could possibly help and have an open ticket with ford. Ford has asked me to take it to the dealer again since the ticket is open and see if they can help. I've already taken it in once and they "can't find anything wrong with it". The way that I've been able to convince people of the issue is to call them on CarPlay and switch to the iPhone's built-in speaker phone during the call. that gives the person a good contrast of the call volume.

I'm taking it in today for service & to have them look at this again. If I get anywhere I'll certainly report back.

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Look up and speak into the mic a little closer. It's above your head. Helps a ton. I don't think there's going to be a true fix for this, short of replacing the mic with better pickup characteristics.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Look up and speak into the mic a little closer. It's above your head. Helps a ton. I don't think there's going to be a true fix for this, short of replacing the mic with better pickup characteristics.
Except that it doesn't seem to be an issue for Android users on the same mic?

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
I have this issue but only with certain people, I wonder what the deal is. I had this issue in my Fusion, I ended up dynomatting the roof.

rnewton75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F250 Lariat
Occupation
Construction
I just dropped off the truck at the dealer for service. As nice as they are all could give me is “we’ll look into it”... this is obviously a known issue. The bottom line is that ford can blame it on Apple and Apple can blame it on Ford. Apple doesn’t care at all about this. Their phones and CarPlay works great on the vast majority of vehicle out there. Ford obviously has a connectivity issue and the ball seems to be in their court. Maybe we should ask them to address the issue in a more public forum. Perhaps Instagram?

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Occupation
I just dropped off the truck at the dealer for service. As nice as they are all could give me is “we’ll look into it”... this is obviously a known issue. The bottom line is that ford can blame it on Apple and Apple can blame it on Ford. Apple doesn’t care at all about this. Their phones and CarPlay works great on the vast majority of vehicle out there. Ford obviously has a connectivity issue and the ball seems to be in their court. Maybe we should ask them to address the issue in a more public forum. Perhaps Instagram?
I believe it’s manufacturers implementations of CarPlay. It’s across multiple manufacturers, not just Ford. On my wife’s F-150 on build 19200 it’s flawless. On my 20021 it is horrible. I wanna roll back to 19200 and check it out but can’t find those files.

This is a software issue or the mic wouldn’t work perfectly on Bluetooth.

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Going to try and update this topic as this issue progresses so maybe someone can figure this out.

I installed the iOS 14 beta hoping it would resolve the microphone issues last night and its even worse.

I tried probably a dozen cords and none made a difference.

Ive wiped my phone and set up as new multiple times.

Im currently speaking with Apple engineers and they are aware of the issue but its been so random they are not sure what the problem actually is. Seeing that its across multiple manufacturers, its almost impossible to pinpoint without a widespread issue. One thing to note though, our Ranger is not on their approved CarPlay list. Even though it is the exact same Sync system as other vehicles, one engineer believes that is the root of the issue but cannot explain why some phones work.

I managed to try all versions of Sync 3.4 and 1 of them works perfect. 19101 is the only version, including the newest one set to release for our trucks any day now, that the microphone volume works on. So for now I am sticking to that version. The only bug Ive seen is that stupid location popup is still there but I also saw that in 20021.

I still believe this is the cause of something in Fords software implementation of CarPlay, otherwise why does 19101 work. Im probably going to swap my phone out for another one and see if that works. If not Im stuck on unsupported software.

If anyone else has anything they've tried that worked or didn't, please let me know. This is an ongoing issue that Im trying to get Apple or Ford to resolve.

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I have the same problem. While wired using CarPlay, I have to holler for anyone to hear me. Unplug and switch to bluetooth, and I sound great. Using an iPhone 11 Pro.

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Apple sent me a new phone yesterday and the problem persisted. Once the new Sync software releases I will start documenting this with Ford.

mURmECH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor, 2019 Ranger
When does it release?