First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
I tried carmax in San Jose, they offered $28,000 - what the….???
Sponsored

Esteban9770

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Production
Girlfriend has a 19 Ranger Lariat, it was $46,000 new. It has about 38,000 on it now. She paid $35,000 in June or July. I’ve checked Carvana a few times in the last couple months and they consistently offer around $13,000. The truck has every bell and whistle I believe short of the keypad to enter the vehicle. A couple little paint spots, which I guess are pretty normal with this paint job. Otherwise truck is in very good shape.
When she bought it the dealer told us it had been marked as a lemon by Ford. Apparently the 1st owner had to take it back because there was an issue with the transmission (metal filings I believe).
Do you guys think that’s why it’s being valued so low? We were considering trying to sell it based on what guys were saying they were being offered in threads on here. But obviously what‘s being offered isn’t even a consideration.

Meech_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4 / 2021 VW Tiguan R-Line
Now I'm curious what carmax and carvana would offer me. I still love the truck, but I have a Carmax about 10 minutes from me. I'll get it appraised out of curiosity.

Although they will probably knock me for having Fox2.0 suspension

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Girlfriend has a 19 Ranger Lariat, it was $46,000 new. It has about 38,000 on it now. She paid $35,000 in June or July. I’ve checked Carvana a few times in the last couple months and they consistently offer around $13,000. The truck has every bell and whistle I believe short of the keypad to enter the vehicle. A couple little paint spots, which I guess are pretty normal with this paint job. Otherwise truck is in very good shape.
When she bought it the dealer told us it had been marked as a lemon by Ford. Apparently the 1st owner had to take it back because there was an issue with the transmission (metal filings I believe).
Do you guys think that’s why it’s being valued so low? We were considering trying to sell it based on what guys were saying they were being offered in threads on here. But obviously what‘s being offered isn’t even a consideration.
I'm pretty sure that a factory buyback, or "Lemon" shows up in the title history.

This would definitely kill resale.

Like having a Salvage or Rebuilt title.

If you buy one, make sure you like it enough to keep it a long time.

Esteban9770

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Production
I'm pretty sure that a factory buyback, or "Lemon" shows up in the title history.

This would definitely kill resale.

Like having a Salvage or Rebuilt title.

If you buy one, make sure you like it enough to keep it a long time.
I was wondering if that’s what might be causing it. We were debating trading it in when my Bronco Sport lease is up in May of 23, but maybe we’ll just be keeping it..

SemperVee

First Name
Dar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 LARIAT. 2019 Ranger XLT Traded in.
Vehicle Showcase
Just ran mine on KBB and my XLT with tech and sport package with 10K miles trade in is $44- $46,000 trade in and when I picked up our new bronco a few weeks ago the Ford dealer offered me a real $40K trade in or outright buy.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
I was wondering if that’s what might be causing it. We were debating trading it in when my Bronco Sport lease is up in May of 23, but maybe we’ll just be keeping it..
Everytime you take your vehicle to a dealer to have service performed, repairs done, warranty work done, recalls done/fixed, it is entered into your vehicles data base by vin #. It is a nationwide database and your Wisconsin vehicle will show up in Fla if you tried to get rid of it there.
If your Ranger was "bought back" due to a lemon law than it is most certainly entered and vehicle is listed as a buy back along with all work done to it to try and rectify the fault.
A buy back/lemon is the next worse thing that can be entered aside from a salvage/rebuilt vehicle.
If a dealer gets one they will most likely wholesale it out or sell it via auction for pennies on the dollar. A legit dealer will not want to mess with a problem prone vehicle.

Last edited:

Esteban9770

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Production
Everytime you take your vehicle to a dealer to have service performed, repairs done, warranty work done, recalls done/fixed, it is entered into your vehicles data base by vin #. It is a nationwide database and your Wisconsin vehicle will show up in Fla if you tried to get rid of it there.
If your Ranger was "bought back" due to a lemon law than it is most certainly entered and vehicle is listed as a buy back along with all work done to it to try and rectify the fault.
A buy back/lemon is the next worse thing that can be entered aside from a salvage/rebuilt vehicle.
Might make it a real easy decision in May of 23, if that’s going to kill our trade in value

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Well, we knew inflated used car prices wouldn’t last forever. I assume the market now has enough supply that demand has stabilized.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Now I'm curious what carmax and carvana would offer me. I still love the truck, but I have a Carmax about 10 minutes from me. I'll get it appraised out of curiosity.

Although they will probably knock me for having Fox2.0 suspension
I recently sold a Subaru to Carvana, and was happy with the process.
However, one of the first questions they will ask is if the vehicle has been modified in any way.
If yes, than it's a crap shoot as to whether they will buy it. If you state "no" and they do their inspection and find a mod, they have the option of refusing to buy it or deducting $$$.
Thats why its important to keep the stock parts and return the vehicle back to stock if at all possible.
They will not mess with any vehicle that has been heavily modified, ie. suspension lifts, body work, engine modifications.

Meech_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4 / 2021 VW Tiguan R-Line
However, one of the first questions they will ask is if the vehicle has been modified in any way.
If yes, than it's a crap shoot as to whether they will buy it. If you state "no" and they do their inspection and find a mod, they have the option of refusing to buy it or deducting $$$.
Thats why its important to keep the stock parts and return the vehicle back to stock if at all possible.

Yeah I still have the FX4 shocks in the garage. I could quickly swap them over if they gave me an offer I can't refuse. :wink:

Outside of the suspension, I just have a Tonneau cover, new tires and a tailgate damper. I doubt any of those would come up in question.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yeah I still have the FX4 shocks in the garage. I could quickly swap them over if they gave me an offer I can't refuse. :wink:

Outside of the suspension, I just have a Tonneau cover, new tires and a tailgate damper. I doubt any of those would come up in question.
Stuff like a cover, damper, ect is fine. They look for mechanical modifications like suspension, engine/ computer flashes, that would/could affect any warranty either the dealer or Carvana offers and would have to cover.
Also most have no paper trail from a pro as to work that was done...most were done by owners and that dosen't fly for warranty coverage.

OP
OP
outdoorphotog

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
It also varies week to week.

Last Week Vroom was $36600, now it's $35k

And this week Carvana went up the amount that Vroom went down.

Currently CarMax and Carvana are within $200 of each other at $37k.

CarMax has gone as high as $38800 a few weeks ago.

I've pretty much decided I'm keeping it at this point, but if CarMax tops that $38800 offer I might give in.

If you're seriously thinking about selling it, look at a KBB Instant Cash Offer.

They will give you a number and several dealers will contact you, many willing to top the KBB ICO.
Do you have an open “no fix” recall for the passenger seat belt?

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
OP
OP
outdoorphotog

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
I just checked the Ford site.

No Recalls of any type.

Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 3.51.16 PM.png
A bunch of dealers said they wouldn’t even buy mine at all because they cannot sell it because there is a “no fix” recall on the seatbelt
Sponsored