First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I’m driving a XLT scab and noticed today an excessive amount of cab noise while cruising down the highway. I’m like, where the heck is that coming from. Saw a thread on here about soundproofing and started thinking about it myself as a project when weather here gets warmer.

Then I went online and saw this picture. The 2 vents on the back of the cab sure are raising suspicion now. I had a strong crosswind today. It’s starting to make some sense now.

Anyone else found a simple fix for this potential ’weak link’ Can we use some material that will still allow some breathing but kill the noise?

44B2947E-4D8C-421A-9A34-DE52890A8D1B.jpeg
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I’m driving a XLT scab and noticed today an excessive amount of cab noise while cruising down the highway. I’m like, where the heck is that coming from. Saw a thread on here about soundproofing and started thinking about it myself as a project when weather here gets warmer.

Then I went online and saw this picture. The 2 vents on the back of the cab sure are raising suspicion now. I had a strong crosswind today. It’s starting to make some sense now.

Anyone else found a simple fix for this potential ’weak link’ Can we use some material that will still allow some breathing but kill the noise?

44B2947E-4D8C-421A-9A34-DE52890A8D1B.jpeg
I've never had any noise and have had mine up in triple digits a few times. Is there a way to get to these vents from the inside behind the rear seats? I've only folded my rear seats once and that was when I first bought it to see if the funnel for the gas tank was there so I honestly don''t know.

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man

I've never heard any noise myself and I drive mine like its stolen. It's actually been very quiet inside except for those busted plastic clips in the defroster. I have had a few squeaks from the cab/bed but I took that as ice or snow between the two.

Side bar: Ive been that red shirt guy after a Friday night.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I've never heard any noise myself and I drive mine like its stolen. It's actually been very quiet inside except for those busted plastic clips in the defroster. I have had a few squeaks from the cab/bed but I took that as ice or snow between the two.

Side bar: Ive been that red shirt guy after a Friday night.
Yeah we have the pictures. ?

Passed Out Truck.jpg

Marshal.

First Name
Marshal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger, 1979 Mazda rx7
I’ve had enough of all the cab noise in my truck. It’s noticeably louder than my f150 was. I’ve started pulling the door panels, installing a Noico sound deadener, then topping it off a Noico foam sound deadener. Haven’t had a chance to drive it yet.
2CB558D3-AE3E-473B-AD29-372BF72EC747.jpeg
6BF3114D-46F4-4B49-82D1-F5756C923D48.jpeg

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
has anyone got the app to check decibles?
i know mine is dead quiet, equal to my F150

be interesting to know if the trucks are all similar and its a personal hearing issue. because thats not out of the question.
I have one for IOS called NIOS SLM. Mines super quiet too and never hear any wind noise.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
car and driver quotes these numbers, if anyone can compare theirs (im not near my truck for another 6 days)

""We measured 68 decibels at 70 mph and a pleasing 76-decibel growl with the accelerator flattened. ""

68 decibles is a normal conversation.

1612362881488.png
The DP Meter app on my phone recorded 59 dBA while at 65 MPH with no other cars near me and 64 dBA at the same speed with other vehicles next to me. I will say the Ranger is significantly quieter than in comparison to my old 08 GTI. It would easily hit 72 dBA and 78 dBA respectively at freeway speeds in that thing.

onobeka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford ranger 2.2 European model
I’ve had enough of all the cab noise in my truck. It’s noticeably louder than my f150 was. I’ve started pulling the door panels, installing a Noico sound deadener, then topping it off a Noico foam sound deadener. Haven’t had a chance to drive it yet.
2CB558D3-AE3E-473B-AD29-372BF72EC747.jpeg
6BF3114D-46F4-4B49-82D1-F5756C923D48.jpeg
What you did will certainly help, especially in the audio dept. Considering that you also covered partly the outer door sheet, you also reduced a lot the road noise. In my measurements, the most important panels in order are: doors, footwell and floor, back panel behind the bench and roof.

The biggest issue that remains is the firewall between the cabin and the engine, that's almost impossible to isolate without serious intrusion.

Cclittle72

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Lariat Tremor
So, has anyone here done a full Dynamat install, with before-and-after dB measurements?
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc