Bug/Rock Deflector

Jon54

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Edge Ltd
What is everyone’s choice for bug/rock deflector? Just returned from my 1st road trip and wished I had one as large bugs splashed on windshield.
Sponsored

Ol Bromy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
Vehicle Showcase
What is everyone’s choice for bug/rock deflector? Just returned from my 1st road trip and wished I had one as large bugs splashed on windshield.
I ordered the WeatherTech Low Profile deflector last night. Haven’t seen one in person, but it looks nice in pics. I think it looks best on darker colored vehicles, so it should blend in well on my Magnetic Ranger. It gets installed with double sided tape, so I’m planning to lay down some clear film on the spots where the tape’s adhesive will be before sticking it down

I_smell_like_diesel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Self Employed
I just installed an AVS Aeroskin II defector today (while the temp was above 45f). Install was super easy. Wash off the truck at the quarter wash and wiped off the front of the hood with glass cleaner, then some alcohol wipes. I think it looks good. No drilling, just sticks on.

seUHOmT.jpg

AHacOpI.jpg

Rene Michaels

First Name
SOLD IT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Supercrew 4X2 5' Box Lariat
I have the AVS Aeroskin II textured version also. I like the extra lip on it because I think it will offer a little more protection than the standard Aeroskin, but I don't like that it retains water when the truck sits in the rain. It's not a problem when I am driving, but I worry that if I leave it parked in the rain too long I will eventually get water marks on the deflector or the hood. I though about drilling some small drain holes, but worry those would get plugged with debris easily. See pics below... I'm going to leave it on for now and watch it closely. If it doesn't drain well, I'll replace it with the standard AVS.

IMG_20191112_161523.jpg

IMG_20191124_162159.jpg

IMG_20191124_162205.jpg

OP
OP

Jon54

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Edge Ltd
I just installed an AVS Aeroskin II defector today (while the temp was above 45f). Install was super easy. Wash off the truck at the quarter wash and wiped off the front of the hood with glass cleaner, then some alcohol wipes. I think it looks good. No drilling, just sticks on.

seUHOmT.jpg

AHacOpI.jpg
I like that look, especially with the lip to deflect stones.

OP
OP

Jon54

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Edge Ltd
I have the AVS Aeroskin II textured version also. I like the extra lip on it because I think it will offer a little more protection than the standard Aeroskin, but I don't like that it retains water when the truck sits in the rain. It's not a problem when I am driving, but I worry that if I leave it parked in the rain too long I will eventually get water marks on the deflector or the hood. I though about drilling some small drain holes, but worry those would get plugged with debris easily. See pics below... I'm going to leave it on for now and watch it closely. If it doesn't drain well, I'll replace it with the standard AVS.

IMG_20191112_161523.jpg

IMG_20191124_162159.jpg

IMG_20191124_162205.jpg
Can you give me the actual model number please? I want to be sure Santa gets the right one, thanks guys

I_smell_like_diesel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed

IMG_20191112_161523.jpg

IMG_20191124_162159.jpg

IMG_20191124_162205.jpg

I noticed mine had two separate pieces of tape, with a gap between the two in the middle. It rained here last night and I had no accumulation like that.

Rene Michaels

First Name
SOLD IT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I noticed mine had two separate pieces of tape, with a gap between the two in the middle. It rained here last night and I had no accumulation like that.
Interesting. I installed it as instructed, but honestly cannot remember if there was one continues piece of tape or the gap as you mentioned. I can't tell by looking at it now whether that gap is there. I may need to try prying it up a bit and see if I can cut some of that tape off. A little more difficult since it is now firmly attached to the truck.

I_smell_like_diesel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed
Interesting. I installed it as instructed, but honestly cannot remember if there was one continues piece of tape or the gap as you mentioned. I can't tell by looking at it now whether that gap is there. I may need to try prying it up a bit and see if I can cut some of that tape off. A little more difficult since it is now firmly attached to the truck.

No worries, I was just curious because that's how it was on mine.

T-Wrecks

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 XLT FX4 S Cab, FX4, 301A, Tow, Technology
I ordered the WeatherTech Low Profile deflector last night. Haven’t seen one in person, but it looks nice in pics. I think it looks best on darker colored vehicles, so it should blend in well on my Magnetic Ranger. It gets installed with double sided tape, so I’m planning to lay down some clear film on the spots where the tape’s adhesive will be before sticking it down
Do you have any pics? And can you confirm the WT has a lip and is flush mounted with tape? How well does it fit the hood contours? The AVS Aeroskin II defector looks very form fitting but I don't like the matte finish. Bugs stick to rough surfaces!

Rene Michaels

First Name
SOLD IT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you have any pics? And can you confirm the WT has a lip and is flush mounted with tape? How well does it fit the hood contours? The AVS Aeroskin II defector looks very form fitting but I don't like the matte finish. Bugs stick to rough surfaces!
Actually the bugs do not stick to the rough surface. I had a smooth Aeroskin on my Explorer and they stuck to it more.

Ol Bromy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Just got the WeatherTech deflector today. This is the low profile version that doesn’t have a raised bit to send junk over my roof...this will only protect the front edge of the hood. I applied a ceramic coating to my truck recently, so I’m gonna wait a while before installing it

2D8B8D91-CD89-4AD8-B5C1-A39A13BE29C7.jpeg

93671F78-0A54-47FC-9691-E61CF0C43E92.jpeg

CMJT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2017 Subaru Outback

seUHOmT.jpg

AHacOpI.jpg
That looks terrific!
Sponsored