First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCrew
Occupation
Retired
I am installing the Ford supplied bug deflector, and the last step has me totally confused. Can anybody tell me what this picture is telling me to do?? The deflector is installed, but this step has me stymied .. I have 4 of the clear pads left, but I'm not sure how/where they are supposed to go..
Thanks in advance,
Jim

BugDeflector Instructions.jpg
Sponsored

Scottopia

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '11 GMC Acadia, '03 HD VRod
Occupation
Grand Sovereign Monarch of Scottopia
Vehicle Showcase
You put the clear pads on the hood for all 6 of the mounting clips. I lined the center 2 up first and loosely attached the deflector, then marked the location of the other 4. I believe this part of the instructions are telling you to just line it up for the proper placement. The center 2 clips mount in the existing holes for the gasket, the other 4 attach to the hood By clipping on. Not sure if this helps or not.

Mobius97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat Fx4-Lotus Evora-Lotus Elise-BMW X7 M
This is the step where you are to install the paint protection film shown as item #3 (after wiping down the painted surface). They are used to protect the paint from the clips.

What I did is use the pin locations that you pull out as a guide line, since the clips screw into those pin spots. The PPF strips are much wider than the clips so they don't have to be 100% "spot on" centered for each clip. Then I eyeballed the other clips

Looks like @Scottopia beat me to it! :)

OP
OP
JimH

JimH

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for the replies, Scottopia and Mobius97, but I'm past that step ... the 6 pads are installed on the hood under the clips, and the deflector is in place. The step I'm referring to is AFTER that -- it's the last step and uses 4 pads .. I just don't understand where I'm supposed to put them - on the body? Or on top of the clips??

Mobius97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think that step you're referencing is in continuation about putting on the PPF and clips. Its focusing on lining the clips and deflector up with it and tightening everything once aligned. Please forgive me but going off memory from my install back in July/August.

If you have the film on, clips in place and deflector on....you're golden! Last step is putting on the cones using the marker stickers on the deflector to place them.

They do provide you with extra film and 1 extra mounting bracket. Well at least in my kit they did. The instructions from Ford I've noticed, after installing 3 separate OEM accessories, can be confusing and leaves a lot to be desired.

OP
OP
JimH

JimH

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Thanks Mobius97! I guess I'm done then. I'll wait until after the "stay at home" crisis ends and then will go to my Ford dealer and ask one of the mechanics if I'm (we're) right..

Mobius97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good deal and happy to help. There's not much really to the install and sounds like you nailed it and got her done.

OP
OP
JimH

JimH

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I just hate having pieces left over! :)

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
I just hate having pieces left over! :)
That just means you found a more efficient way of installing/assembling it.

Firestud5

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX2.
Occupation
Fire Captain (Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
I just put mine in. I had 4 clear pads left also. Just make sure you use the 4 rubber cones where the instructions tell you to place them.

t-ranger

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x2
Old thread, new reply?

I just installed this deflector, the last 4 pieces of paint protection film go on the top of the headlights, under where the 4 outside hood clips/screws could make contact with the headlights.

Rant - The Ford instruction sheets - we've gone from instructions in 10 languages to no writing and obnoxious visual queues - this is an in improvement?
Sponsored