Break-In Procedures

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
These engines are test ran and ring seated then oil drained and re filled.

Regardless of type of oil they used it for break in and it takes more then one flush go get everything out of it which is why we recommend 1000miles.

Yes the oil filter catches most of it but it can not catch it all.

The owners manual asks for specific driving form because it is still finishing the break in procedure which can then cause more contaminants then 5000 miles later.
Yeah, the owners manual calls for specific driving and it doesn't call for some archaic oil change procedure. There's also nothing about using caution when starting so the crank handle doesn't break your arm, or any number of other things that used to be important but are no longer relevant. The idea that there's stuff that will fly around in the engine, but won't get caught in the filter, but will just fall out when you change the oil is kinda looney.
Sponsored

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
These engines are test ran and ring seated then oil drained and re filled.

Regardless of type of oil they used it for break in and it takes more then one flush go get everything out of it which is why we recommend 1000miles.

Yes the oil filter catches most of it but it can not catch it all.

The owners manual asks for specific driving form because it is still finishing the break in procedure which can then cause more contaminants then 5000 miles later.
I'm not buying any of this. Complete bunk IMO.

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
It is funny how superstitious car owners are about their loves. Usually people that want you to change oil at more often intervals are selling oil. I guess it keeps the economy going. If you want to waste your time and money changing your oil more often than science and engineering have determined is necessary, then go ahead.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
From the Owner's Manual:

Engine
Avoid driving too fast during the first
1,000 mi (1,500 km). Vary your speed
frequently and change up through the
gears early. Do not labor the engine.
Res Ipse loquitor...

Roofhopper

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
HVAC Service Manager
Vehicle Showcase
@Doc if Ford thought it was necessary for you to have the oil changed at 1k miles they would specifically state that in the owners manual. It would also be printed on your warranty disclosure statement, indicating that failure to change oil at 1k miles will render all engine warranties null and void blah blah blah. Service manager where I purchased my Ranger, and every Ford dealer mechanic I know says change it every 5k including first oil change

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
@Doc if Ford thought it was necessary for you to have the oil changed at 1k miles they would specifically state that in the owners manual. It would also be printed on your warranty disclosure statement, indicating that failure to change oil at 1k miles will render all engine warranties null and void blah blah blah. Service manager where I purchased my Ranger, and every Ford dealer mechanic I know says change it every 5k including first oil change
Go fo it ...it’s not required..just suggested..

Roofhopper

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
HVAC Service Manager
Vehicle Showcase
That's my point. Ford does not suggest this at all. I have been building and breaking in gas engines for drag cars, boats, atvs, motorcycles, tractors etc for going on 20 years. So I am fully aware of appropriate break in procedures, I also do my research on everything I own to ensure that I'm treating it right for the service I am going to be putting it through. So unless you can produce FACTS about breaking in a brand new Ford 2.3 Ecoboost you are just continually spouting off with your ill informed opinions

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
That's my point. Ford does not suggest this at all. I have been building and breaking in gas engines for drag cars, boats, atvs, motorcycles, tractors etc for going on 20 years. So I am fully aware of appropriate break in procedures, I also do my research on everything I own to ensure that I'm treating it right for the service I am going to be putting it through. So unless you can produce FACTS about breaking in a brand new Ford 2.3 Ecoboost you are just continually spouting off with your ill informed opinions
Namaste..

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Why do they still make magnetic drain plugs ?????
I dunno. But I'm quite sure they don't provide much help with a mostly aluminum engine (I highly doubt that the Ranger has a magnetic drain plug). I've rebuilt a lot of engines (but not nearly as many as my brother) and neither of us see any reason to change oil after 1000 miles. if that's what you want to do, great go for it, but your replies to this thread have been superficial and have not provided any substance to backup your position.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I dunno. But I'm quite sure they don't provide much help with a mostly aluminum engine (I highly doubt that the Ranger has a magnetic drain plug). I've rebuilt a lot of engines (but not nearly as many as my brother) and neither of us see any reason to change oil after 1000 miles. if that's what you want to do, great go for it, but your replies to this thread have been superficial and have not provided any substance to backup your position.
I just listen to the people that build my motors...my bad...To thine own self be true...Blessings

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Now that I think about it a bit longer, I can't recall ever seeing an engine with a magnetic drain plug (tho I'm sure they exist). Manual transmissions yes, even some differentials, and especially automatics have a magnet in the oil pan to capture metal particles. Modern day engines have less wear than the earlier years and oils have changed to reduce additives that used to be required in older flat tappet engines (zinc, etc). Emissions are lower because tolerances are tighter and engines wear less. Even oil filters have been resized because new modern materials and tolerances [and oils] have reduced engine wear.

Last edited:

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Now that I think about it a bit longer, I can't recall ever seeing an engine with a magnetic drain plug (tho I'm sure they exist). Manual transmissions yes, even some differentials, and especially automatics have a magnet in the oil pan to capture metal particles. Modern day engines have less wear than the earlier years and oils have changed to reduce additives that used to be required in older flat tappet engines (zinc, etc). Emissions are lower because tolerances are tighter and engines wear less. Even oil filters have been resized because new modern materials and tolerances have reduced engine wear.
I agree!