Tire/wheel differences effect on towing capacity

Nate W

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XL
Hey y'all,

I got my Ranger a few weeks ago; I wanted it for the best-in-class towing (and bc it's just a great looking truck). So far I'm loving it.

As I understand it, the XL, XLT, and Lariat are all rated to tow up to 7500 lbs if equipped with the factor tow package.

It's also my understanding that the trim levels and packages are functionally equivalent: They have the same engine, same transmission, etc.

However, the base XL comes with 16" wheels, the XLT with 17s, and some Lariats with 18s.

Here are the stock tires from the tire size master thread:

2wd/4wd std - 255/70R16 (30.1" x 10")​
2wd/4wd std - 255/65R17 (30.1" x 10")​
FX4 Package - 265/65R17 (30.6" x 10.4")​
FX4 Package - 265/60R18 (30.5" x 10.4")​

I know that, all else equal, smaller wheels/tires will give more torque and be better for towing...

So how can all the trims/packages have the same maximum towing capacity if they have different wheels/tires?

Probably overanalyzing this, but just curious if anyone else has though about it.
Sponsored

BassRanger

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Supercab STX, 2010 Mustang
Occupation
Goodyear
The tow package Ranger's towing capacity is limited by it's hitch, as it is with most trucks. The 750/7500# rating is a hitch rating, not a rating for the truck. The reason the non tow package Ranger's a limited 3500# is because that is what the hitch is rated for.

Technicallly, you can tow more than 7500 with the Ranger, granted you are not exceeding the hitch's tongue/weight rating, or the truck's axle ratings, payload, or GCWR. You'll notice there are a couple of aftermarket hitches with higher tongue and towing ratings than the OE tow package. Conversely your towing capacity may be less than 7500# even with the tow package.

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
As everyone has said, max tow, max tongue, max frontal area (if spec’ed), all are a weakest link thing.

Depending on the vehicle it can be axle rating, spring capacity, drive train limitations, tire load ratings, hitch capacity, etc.

I have never seen a manufacturer’s tow capacity chart change due to tire diameter size, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t one out there. Everything matters when it comes to towing. Doing it with appropriate safety margins is not something us amateurs are usually very good at… :)

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Each tire has a max load rating at a certain psi. Even the Bridgestone Duelers on my 4x2 Supercab 2 wheel drive carry a 2337 lb rating, per tire....times 4 = 9348 lb max capacity. Supercab has a max GVWR of 6050, which includes 1860 lbs payload.
Even a max of 750 tongue weight which becomes part of the trucks payload, will not overload even a base ranger's tires.
As any Ranger that comes from the factory that is set up with a tow package, the tow rating is 7500 lbs with a 750 tongue weight rating. Doesn't matter what tire/wheel combo it has.
Those without the tow package are limited only by the bumper hitch ball that you can install....the bumper is rated for 3500 lbs. Put a class 3 hitch on a Ranger without one from the factory, and the tow rating jumps to 7500 lbs with the 750 tongue rating.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Here are the stock tires from the tire size master thread:

2wd/4wd std - 255/70R16 (30.1" x 10")​
2wd/4wd std - 255/65R17 (30.1" x 10")​
FX4 Package - 265/65R17 (30.6" x 10.4")​
FX4 Package - 265/60R18 (30.5" x 10.4")​

I know that, all else equal, smaller wheels/tires will give more torque and be better for towing...

So how can all the trims/packages have the same maximum towing capacity if they have different wheels/tires?

Probably overanalyzing this, but just curious if anyone else has though about it.
For all practicle purposes those tire/wheel combo are all the same size. They do it for marketing purposes, folks tend to just see the rim size and assume bigger is better. And, by keeping the overall diameter close to the same they don't have to start juggling rear end ratios or transmission programming.

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
As everyone has said, max tow, max tongue, max frontal area (if spec’ed), all are a weakest link thing.

Depending on the vehicle it can be axle rating, spring capacity, drive train limitations, tire load ratings, hitch capacity, etc.

I have never seen a manufacturer’s tow capacity chart change due to tire diameter size, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t one out there. Everything matters when it comes to towing. Doing it with appropriate safety margins is not something us amateurs are usually very good at… :)
It is very common on the F150 the wheel size changed max towing capacity and payload. Some wheels were made with higher load capacity than others. Also in the 04-08 model year the 20" wheel lowered the towing capacity by 500 lbs.

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
axles play a big too. Most trucks have a semi floating axle
Vs
a superduty which have a full floating axle. Big difference in axles
Most tires truck tires are capable of handling weight.
so axles, diff, bearings, transmission,
To tow safely, just be sure to use proper equipment, i see many peoole who dont, so be safe, and within parameters

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
It is very common on the F150 the wheel size changed max towing capacity and payload. Some wheels were made with higher load capacity than others. Also in the 04-08 model year the 20" wheel lowered the towing capacity by 500 lbs.
I had not seen that, but it isn't surprising. Everything does affect tow capacity. Change one thing and the weakest link might move.

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
dig into that further.
is it just the tire wheel combo? or is it lowered because the gross weight of the vehicle is higher?
Well the specific year range I quoted was from Ford's towing capacity manual that stated the reduced capacity. Based on the forum I was on then it was agreed on that it was a substantial increase in rotational weight that caused the change. 20s were roughly 10lbs heavier each with tires.

It very well could be that those trucks equipped with 20s were higher trim levels with heated/cooled seats and all that fancy stuff. So yes the gross weight could have changed substantially. What do I know, I find the XLT to be loaded with options.

Now Ford does create heavy duty wheels, such as those awesome 7 lug F150s or the 10 lugs on the 450 and up.

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
dig into that further.
is it just the tire wheel combo? or is it lowered because the gross weight of the vehicle is higher?
Could be a number of things, might not have anything to do with the diameter of the wheel/tire combo. Being unsprung weight also might be quite a bit different than sprung weight.

In the end, given all the time and effort the manufacturers put into their charts, it always surprises me when someone says, "oh, I tow over the rating all the time and nothing bad happens." ;)

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Well to play devils advocate ranger pride,
An f250 would be perfect for 6000 pounds. Drive at 85 mph down the highway. Its safe right? I know you said in the middle of a vehicles tow range, but why not just make it easy. Or even an f350. Pull anything you want. And at 85mph Way to fast for towing. Imo. But i use a ranger because its the perfect sized and priced truck for me. So ill tow 6000 all week long. Pickup is made to do it and does it just fine. I could do 85 like the f250, but, that is just not safe. With any tow. Not imo.
Not arguing with you, just providing another opinion, as to why i picked the ranger.
Sponsored