Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I use the Scan gauge II. It measures the water temperature, Boost, MPG and battery voltage, and a host of other real-time gauges.

20200717_191516.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

MyLittleRanger19

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Yeah, I'll be using the AFE intercooler pipes that has ports but I won't get my replacement set for another few weeks.
are you planning to use one of the 1/8npt bungs for you gauge line?
is hot side or cold side better to measure?

pa-fatboy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2016 Mustang GT Premium, 1966 Mustang Convertible C Code, 2019 Ford Fusion, 2005 Ford Focus ST
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m gonna ask a real noob question. I to bought an OBD2 doohickey dongle that sent the vehicle details out via Bluetooth. I evaluated 4 - 5 apps that would connect to the dongle, mostly with read only access, but in some cases, the ability to reset idiot lights in my dash board.

I bought my device to read engine fault codes in my 1995 Dodge Ram 1500. Before you jump on me, I did learn pretty damn quick that the ODB2 standard only apples to 1996 and above vehicles. There went that genius move to get ahead of my shop guys.

I did play with the device in my mustang and ā€˜19 Ranger XLT. I bought an iPad holder and selected some gauges to display as I drove around. After just a couple days, I got bored of the gauges and took everything out of my truck.

what data do you guys want to watch that is not available on the dash now? Follow-up, why would you want real time data like boost all the time?

Iā€™m not trying to challenge anyone. Each to their own, Iā€™m just curious why you would want it all the time?

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Remember, anything that plugs into the OBDII port uses the MAP sensor to determine boost which is not as accurate as a real gauge that pulls from the inlet.
And why would you say that?
The technology used to make this type of pressure sensor is inherently very accurate and repeatable, much more so than any mechanical gauge that would fit in your car could hope to be. The only potential issue I could see is is some delay due to the sampling rate of the data on the CAN bus but then again mechanical gauges have damping built in keep the needle from bouncing that has the same impact.

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
I have not. I will check that out. My thinking is that if the 2014/2018 St and RS use an analog gauge with converted digital info, the Ranger should have the same capabilities. I would have to think that the systems are very similar. I have the pigtail as well. I'm going to be heart broken if I cannot make this happen

ST gauge.jpg
That would be really cool, just print up a housing that pops into the top tray. I have an RS and the electrical manual for it, may be similar to the ST gauge. What colors/ids to you see on the pigtail you got for that module? Also it it a 6 pin in a 2x3 layout?

Well, if I found the right part name... Information Center Module (ICM) it has one connector IDed as C2487. The pinout for it is:
Pin​
Circuit
Function​
1​
SBP08 (VT-RD)​
FUSE - 8 OR CIRCUIT BREAKER​
2​
CLN17 (BN)​
SWITCH - IP/SWITCH ILLUMINATION​
3​
GD113 (BK)​
GROUND - COWL SIDE/PILLAR A LEFT (OBSOLETE)​
4​
VDB04 (WH-BU)​
CONNECTOR - DIAGNOSTIC # CAN BUS HIGH SPEED HIGH​
5​
VDB05 (WH)​
CONNECTOR - DIAGNOSTIC # CAN BUS HIGH SPEED LOW​
6​
-​
Not Used

Again, at least how it reports in the electrical manual for the European built RS.

If that is right, you should be able to just make a OBD-2 port interface for testing if it can get the data it needs. I will note that the power is the OE circuit is always on. If it works then just need to find a safe way to get that CAN bus signal (if it were me, I would get a OBD-2 port Y kit and not touch a wire in the truck's harness, that is how I have my drift stick in the RS connected without loosing use of the OBD-2 port), ground, power and illumination inputs. I should be getting the Ranger manuals soon and have a better idea on the save tap points for the rest soon.

Last edited:

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Computers
I just measured the gauges and housing on the RS, and was measuring and looking at the dash on the Ranger. Looks like there is a section behind (closer to the the windshield than) the tray that may pop-out and be a better location. Maybe I'll make some mock gauges and just move them around and mess with the angles while sitting in their and see what looks best to me this weekend.

This is the panel I'm looking at behind the tray. I guess on Lariat or something they have a center speaker.

Last edited:

Kevin Franklin

First Name
Tinmender1963
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda FT500. Honda 700SC. 2019 Ford Ranger Sport. 2014 Ford Focus ST. 2017 Ford Escape Titanium. 1994 Ford Ranger Splash. 1986 Ford Mustang GT Splash
Occupation
Damn good question. A lot of different things
Vehicle Showcase
That would be really cool, just print up a housing that pops into the top tray. I have an RS and the electrical manual for it, may be similar to the ST gauge. What colors/ids to you see on the pigtail you got for that module? Also it it a 6 pin in a 2x3 layout?

Well, if I found the right part name... Information Center Module (ICM) it has one connector IDed as C2487. The pinout for it is:
Pin​
Circuit
Function​
1​
SBP08 (VT-RD)​
FUSE - 8 OR CIRCUIT BREAKER​
2​
CLN17 (BN)​
SWITCH - IP/SWITCH ILLUMINATION​
3​
GD113 (BK)​
GROUND - COWL SIDE/PILLAR A LEFT (OBSOLETE)​
4​
VDB04 (WH-BU)​
CONNECTOR - DIAGNOSTIC # CAN BUS HIGH SPEED HIGH​
5​
VDB05 (WH)​
CONNECTOR - DIAGNOSTIC # CAN BUS HIGH SPEED LOW​
6​
-​
Not Used

Again, at least how it reports in the electrical manual for the European built RS.

If that is right, you should be able to just make a OBD-2 port interface for testing if it can get the data it needs. I will note that the power is the OE circuit is always on. If it works then just need to find a safe way to get that CAN bus signal (if it were me, I would get a OBD-2 port Y kit and not touch a wire in the truck's harness, that is how I have my drift stick in the RS connected without loosing use of the OBD-2 port), ground, power and illumination inputs. I should be getting the Ranger manuals soon and have a better idea on the save tap points for the rest soon.
Thank you taking an interest in my project. I had put it on hold till time allowed for me to dive into it more deeply.

Your help is much appreciated. I would have to believe that the wiring would be similar between the vehicles.

Kevin Franklin

First Name
Tinmender1963
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda FT500. Honda 700SC. 2019 Ford Ranger Sport. 2014 Ford Focus ST. 2017 Ford Escape Titanium. 1994 Ford Ranger Splash. 1986 Ford Mustang GT Splash
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you taking an interest in my project. I had put it on hold till time allowed for me to dive into it more deeply.

Your help is much appreciated. I would have to believe that the wiring would be similar between the vehicles.
I like your idea of using a Y port. I had not considered that. Sounds like a safe approach that just might make this all possible. I look forward to seeing if you are able to obtain the Ranger wiring so the two can be compared

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Computers
I like your idea of using a Y port. I had not considered that. Sounds like a safe approach that just might make this all possible. I look forward to seeing if you are able to obtain the Ranger wiring so the two can be compared
The OBD-2 port should have all you need to test the function, only missing connection from the OBD-2 is illumination.

I should get the manuals shortly after Helm Inc ships them, order status is "IN SHIPPING DEPT".

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Computers

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I use the Scan gauge II. It measures the water temperature, Boost, MPG and battery voltage, and a host of other real-time gauges.

20200717_191516.jpg
I use that in my Mini...?

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer

Only thing with the RS/ST gauge panel is our trucks do not have a sensor for oil temp or pressure. So the outside two gauges will be useless.

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Computers
Only thing with the RS/ST gauge panel is our trucks do not have a sensor for oil temp or pressure. So the outside two gauges will be useless.
Who said the RS even has those sensors? I know it doesn't have oil temp.

Edit: And a quick scan through section 20 of the RS's Wiring Diagrams I only see a simple oil pressure switch (low/normal).

And I got notice that my Ranger FSM and wiring diagrams should be here tomorrow.

Last edited:

Kevin Franklin

First Name
Tinmender1963
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The information is there. All modern vehicles use those to factor in engine and cooling settings. We are attempting to unlock where we find those values and how to relay those to the gauges.
Sponsored