fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 White Platinum Tri-Coat
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
I have been watching Youtube videos of the Ranger off road and I'm surprised by the wheel spin. Does the Ranger not have brake limited slip (BLS) for traction control on its open diffs? I obviously have no way of knowing which terrain mode most videos have active at the time.

On my Jeep BLS is on all the time in normal/auto and most offroading I do I just stay in the normal/auto terrain mode in 4 low and it's generally outstanding, except for very steep climbs where the locker shines. This is the behavior I expect from the Ranger but I'm not seeing it...?
Sponsored

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
I have a non-FX4 model, with locker. I haven't used the locker yet, because the couple times so far I got a tire to lift/slip, the traction control kicked in and it pulled forward before I got a chance to turn the locker on...

maybe the FX4 model has different standard traction control settings?

I should ad, the tire slips for maybe a half second before the traction control kicks in, so maybe if you're very quick to let off the throttle you might not give it a chance to work...

Last edited:
OP
OP
fusseli

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
I have a non-FX4 model, with locker. I haven't used the locker yet, because the couple times so far I got a tire to lift/slip, the traction control kicked in and it pulled forward before I got a chance to turn the locker on...

maybe the FX4 model has different standard traction control settings?

I should ad, the tire slips for maybe a half second before the traction control kicks in, so maybe if you're very quick to let off the throttle you might not give it a chance to work...
That sounds like what I would expect, I am just surprised at youtube reviews. Maybe they edit the videos or take a bad line or something.

Wschnitz

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
It could be down to the mode and if the Transfercase is in 4L or 4H.

I really only noticed any Traction control noises in 4L when on trails. It definitely has BLS because when you put the FX4 in the trail cruise control mode you can hear individual brakes clicking on and off to stop wheel spin.

OP
OP
fusseli

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
It could be down to the mode and if the Transfercase is in 4L or 4H.

I really only noticed any Traction control noises in 4L when on trails. It definitely has BLS because when you put the FX4 in the trail cruise control mode you can hear individual brakes clicking on and off to stop wheel spin.
Ah good point, with crawl control it wouldn't make much sense to not have BLS.
Sponsored