First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
I have the locker, and 4x4, and honestly if the FX2 package had real skid plates I would have gone with that instead. Even in the mountains of New Hampshire and Maine a 2wd has been fine for me. Hell, my 2wd Sport Trac even passed a few stuck Jeeps back in the day. Really embarrassed those guys.

If you can get the factory locker with the 2wd go for it, while sometimes aftermarket is better/cheaper there is something to be said for an integrated system.
Sponsored

Pkv126

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020-Ranger-XL-2WD
Hi all, I am new to this Forum, and new to Ford Ranger. I purchased a 2020 ford ranger XLT 4x2...unfortuntely I was in a rush to get a new truck(my old dodge dakota decided to retire it self), and I could not afford a 4x4, only thing available was either 4x4(could not afford), Lariat 4x2(could not afford) and the XLT 4x2(i could afford). Been reading around the forum and finding mix posts regarding non 4x2s.....though I do not really need 4x4 because most of the boat ramps I go to here in Florida do not required 4x4, there are some places though it can get a bit hairy. Was trying to find a final verdict on getting a locking rear diff. Any other options for 4x2 ranger for doing mild off roading). Thanks. I have the White XLT 2020

So I went with the SuperCab 4x2 XL. My intent was to make it into what I wanted and with that being said, I added an ARB rear air locker. It gets me where I need to go off the beaten path and of course I paired it with a great set of A/T tires.

In my opinion it was a great addition and would do it again. If you have any questions or would like the parts list PM me or take a look at my build thread.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/first-ranger.6742/page-3

Post #37 is the parts list.

Once I get back home, I’m going to start creating more content with using the locker in/on different types of terrain.

Ranger720

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x2
Occupation
Retired Military
So I went with the SuperCab 4x2 XL. My intent was to make it into what I wanted and with that being said, I added an ARB rear air locker. It gets me where I need to go off the beaten path and of course I paired it with a great set of A/T tires.

In my opinion it was a great addition and would do it again. If you have any questions or would like the parts list PM me or take a look at my build thread.

Once I get back home, I’m going to start creating more content with using the locker in/on different types of terrain.
Thank you so much, great information, I went to a reputable 4x4 store..they recommended the ARB but was not sure exactly what I needed and told me they would install it once I found out everything, I can take that post and bring it to them....perfect thank you so much....

Pkv126

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020-Ranger-XL-2WD
Thank you so much, great information, I went to a reputable 4x4 store..they recommended the ARB but was not sure exactly what I needed and told me they would install it once I found out everything, I can take that post and bring it to them....perfect thank you so much....

Not a problem. That is one thing I forgot, I first took it to a local shop and they destroyed the install and ruined all the parts. I highly recommend finding a ARB certified shop and purchase the parts through them and have them install it. I drove almost 2 hours away to get mine done the second time and I’ll keep going there to get it serviced and what not. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Ranger720

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x2
Occupation
Retired Military
Not a problem. That is one thing I forgot, I first took it to a local shop and they destroyed the install and ruined all the parts. I highly recommend finding a ARB certified shop and purchase the parts through them and have them install it. I drove almost 2 hours away to get mine done the second time and I’ll keep going there to get it serviced and what not. Let me know if you have anymore questions.
Yes, I have a certified ARB shop not far away..they are really good but just have never really done a Ranger yet...so they were not sure exactly which one to get...now that I know all the parts they will be able to do it no problems. I might have to wait a bit as I am now starting to save up for the parts/installation

Pkv126

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020-Ranger-XL-2WD
Yes, I have a certified ARB shop not far away..they are really good but just have never really done a Ranger yet...so they were not sure exactly which one to get...now that I know all the parts they will be able to do it no problems. I might have to wait a bit as I am now starting to save up for the parts/installation
Nice! Well good luck with it all and I look forward to hearing your experience with it once you are able to get it installed

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Networking Technician

I'm not sure if I missed it, but was there a total cost? I'm thinking about doing this in the next month or 2 & wanna see what I'm getting into haha

influminba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X
One possible additional option for 2WD truck owners is an effective locking system for the differential within the Best Off Road Driving Trails in Minnesota. A number of 2WD and 4WD pickups have limited-slip differentials that lock up the axle when a wheel starts to slip. When the axle is locked, full power is delivered to both wheels.
Sponsored

Last edited: