First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 (stock)
Occupation
Cardiovascular ICU RN
Has anyone put bigger tires on the factory chrome Lariat 18” wheels? Post pictures.

For reference:

F8688A10-2B82-4C6E-A9CF-B57269AEA774.jpeg
Sponsored

bfastr

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
I am in the 18" wheel camp as well and a bit confused.
Why do the Lariats generally come on 18" wheels, yet the XLT and Tremor package is on 17's.
(back in my younger days all the wheels were 15")

So, my question is, am I just an off road poser on 18" wheels? are serious off road tires on 17" rims only? I have done a fair share of googling this, but I am more confused now than before I did.

admittedly I will never be scratching my way over big rocks and logs, but I would like to put a bit more tire around my wheel and am wondering what I am getting into. I read about lifting the front, removing intrusion bars. adding tailgate dampers (j/k.. already did that!)

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
I didn't really understand the tire (wheel) size thing. I was looking at only lariats and some said 17, others 18. The one I finally bought had the premium 18s, and the fx4 had the hankook ATVs. No idea how that all shakes out though.

Last edited:

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Back in the day the advantage of lower profile tires, i.e. larger rims for the same overall tire diameter, was it yielded superior on road handling and driver feel due to less tire sidewall flex. This was primarily an advantage in race cars that then filtered down to sports car enthusiasts. At some point the larger wheels became a fashion statement.
And yes I'm guilty in that the Sport package on my truck included 17" rims but I optioned back up to the 18's which were included with the Lariat package.

OP
OP
20lariat4x4

20lariat4x4

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cardiovascular ICU RN
I’m a sucker for the small wheels on huge tires look for a true off-roader. I’d say it’s functional as well as the extra sidewall would allow you to air down more for max grippies. IMO I don’t think 1 inch from 17-18 would make much of a difference.

Milkmaster

First Name
Milkmaster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Be careful what you choose! My 2020 Ranger came with Bridgestone 18 inch tires. The bigger tires accentuate the rough road surfaces. I cut one tire and found out that tire is no longer available. Bridgestone doesn't make that tire anymore. I had to either put 2 or 4 on it to make everything match up. There was a tire sale and decided to go with 4 new tires. Not a hard decision really. In my experience the Bridgestone tires generally ride rougher than other choices. This Ranger generation is very lumbersome over humps etc. The best thing I did was drop the tire pressure to 32psi. Ride is much better and a lot less harsh on rough roads. Still gets up about 36psi when the tires warm up. Just some observations :)

OP
OP
20lariat4x4

20lariat4x4

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cardiovascular ICU RN
My door sticker calls for 30 psi. Never had them any higher.

Milkmaster

First Name
Milkmaster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
My door sticker calls for 30 psi. Never had them any higher.
Mine has 35 on the door but it came from the dealer with about 45psi in them. Pretty rough until I let a little air out of them.

cbull

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 honda civic hatchback CVT 2017 ram cummins
Occupation
Farmer

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
30? Are you sure, that dont sound right.
Hi Curtis,

Yep....Door label for my FX4 with Hancrap tires is 30 psi. This is the minimum pressure Ford will allow on a tire due to Rim Rolloff margin of error. less than 30 is part of what got us into the Firestone AT tire Corporate emergency. I covered this whole fiasco in another old thread on these forums....

I think Bridgestones are 35 psi

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

lawrench

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4 Lightning Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Curtis,

Yep....Door label for my FX4 with Hancrap tires is 30 psi. This is the minimum pressure Ford will allow on a tire due to Rim Rolloff margin of error. less than 30 is part of what got us into the Firestone AT tire Corporate emergency. I covered this whole fiasco in another old thread on these forums....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Aww! The Ford Exploder days....

cbull

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Farmer
Hi Curtis,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Wow, so what is the max psi on the side of the tire?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, so what is the max psi on the side of the tire?
Hi Curtis,

Just that...it is the Max pressure to safely use the tire and determined by the tire manufacturer. The vehicle door sticker is the pressure determined by the vehicle manufacturer determined via their evaluation and testing the safe handling/load carrying.

When you change to aftermarket tires, the tire manufacturer usually has a matrix available on line to guide you in your tire pressure for the new tires. The other way to do this is via the chalk method in your driveway as the chalk measures the true "footprint" of the tire where it meets the road.

Inflating to the sidewall pressure in most cases will result in a poor contact patch with the road and likely long term wear out the center of your tire while the outside and inside tread still shows like new....sort of like my neighbor's hair...bald in the middle...

Make sense?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

cbull

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Farmer
Hi Curtis,

Just that...it is the Max pressure to safely use the tire and determined by the tire manufacturer. The vehicle door sticker is the pressure determined by the vehicle manufacturer determined via their evaluation and testing the safe handling/load carrying.

When you change to aftermarket tires, the tire manufacturer usually has a matrix available on line to guide you in your tire pressure for the new tires. The other way to do this is via the chalk method in your driveway as the chalk measures the true "footprint" of the tire where it meets the road.

Inflating to the sidewall pressure in most cases will result in a poor contact patch with the road and likely long term wear out the center of your tire while the outside and inside tread still shows like new....sort of like my neighbor's hair...bald in the middle...

Make sense?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Oh yeah it makes sense I just never seen a car tor ruck tire with a max PSI that low. I was pretty surprised to find out this morning that the new tires on my tremor Ranger are only 39 Max. I would expect them to be a bit higher with a C rating.
Sponsored