Big Brake upgrades for Ranger

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
Back in my Nissan Xterra Day's over on Border-Phreak's page "Xterra Firma" a lot of the guys were upgrading to PB packages. I upgraded to a set of drilled and slotted rotors up front. Logo and web site looks similar-ish but I can't confirm if that's the same company or if it has changed owners in the 18ish years since I dealt with them.

But the brake rotors I got were pretty spiff and did the job!
The linked PB has only been around since 09 per their website
Sponsored

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
The linked PB has only been around since 09 per their website
Yeah this would have been 1s Gen Xterras - 1999 to about 2003.

OP
OP

CHIEF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER WILDTRACK 2.0L BI TURBO
Are you upgrading cause stock breaks can't handle things? Or just for looks? If latter pass. If not look at pads, better rotors or better brake fluid.
Both! So the kit I am interested in has all the components you mention plus the calipers and SS break lines.

FInoob

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
??
RCMustang has PBs on his truck, he helped develop them.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Once you add on the desirable options, it moves up to near $3000.
The $1300 set is 4 piston where Peders and others a 6 piston. PB's 6 piston start at about $1650.

Here's your Big Brake options:
HARROP | Upgrade Kit Front Ford Ranger
Powerbrake Global 4x4 Big Brake Kits
Pedders USA - Big Brake Kit - Ford Ranger 2019- 2021 - Front
PB - Ford Ranger T6 North American (19~UP) Front Big Brake Kit (OP's question is about)
CEIKA Custom Big Brake Kit for Ford Ranger T6 (12~up) - Ceika Performance
Alcon Performance Brake Kits - Ranger

Are the rotors a bigger diameter or just thicker?

Also what does 4 pot and 6 pot mean? And floating vs fixed rotor? I've replaced standard brakes and rotors in the past, even a rusted brake line, just haven't heard these terms, I've never upgraded to indifferent size.Also so for 16", 17" etc. Is that for the rotor diameter or wheel? My truck came standard with 17" wheels but I upgraded to 18" wheels when I bought it oem that is. I went down to 17" wheel on new ones for a couple of reasons, wanted taller side wall plus that wheel and color combo only came in 17". I presume the brake rotors stayed ghe same (fx4-lariat)
20220124_064513.jpg

Last edited:

PltFX4

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2109 Ranger Lariat FX4
Nice line up. The only two that come close when equilaly speced, and still have a somewhat reasonable price, are PB & Ceika.

If money was not an option I would probably go with powerbreak
FYI:
Feb 2021....
"Hi,

Just saw you S-line notice for the 2019+ Ford Ranger on Facebook. Very interested…if:

• The system is plug and play replacement for the OEM setup
  • Meaning, can run stock 18” wheels, winter
  • And no spacers.
  • 20” summer, again no spacers
  • Ideally, just want calipers and hardware to go over OEM rotors (truck has 2K miles on it)
  • Bur understand your setup are likely requires larger rotors… ok, so be it.
  • That you have a appropriately sized (smaller) setup for the rear as well.
  • Want “system” not just part of one.
  • And of course, price.
  • I know this stuff is not cheap, but prices over $2k for front end is a no go,
  • $1.5k for the rear.
I’m not running the Dakar Rally, just street and occasional off-road fun. But the Ranger does need more stopping power to tow and will the summer time 20” wheels you can really feel that need.

So, please advise as to what you go. Photos looks beautiful."

Reply:
"Good afternoon,

It is good to meet you via e mail and it looks like you are an experience 4WD truck owner. Ford Ranger is a huge market for us in South Africa, Australia and New Zealand so we have excellent experience with the application – in fact one of our main test vehicles (driven by our founder) is a Ford Ranger Raptor.

The USA Ranger is slightly different to the Southern Hemisphere model and we have been working with a USA dealer on the development and by early March we will have the final test fitment done.

To give you a further idea on the the brake kit – here is a YouTube video that I did with one of our customers it answer an number of your questions:

1)The system is plug and play replacement for the OEM setup:

• That is correct our brake kit is a complete bolt on system for the Ranger – it comes in 2 boxes (1 per a wheel) and it as everything you need (excluding brake fluid).
  • Yes the brake kits fits under almost all 17” wheels so 18” is no problem
  • We are still reviewing if spacers are required on the USA Ranger on the original wheels? The southern hemisphere Ranger DOES require spacers for the OE wheels (different to the Toyotas, Volkswagen Amarok, Mazda and Nissan)
  • See our PDF information attached
2)Ideally, just want calipers and hardware to go over OEM rotors (truck has 2K miles on it)
3) That you have a appropriately sized (smaller) setup for the rear as well.
  • We do not upgrade the rear brakes because as it is not required, we have developed software to model 4WD brake systems in our design process.
  • Run your OE rear brakes and upgrade the front – the weight transfer takes place early in the brake cycle.
4) And of course, price.

Stage 1: 6 piston caliper brake kit with 1-piece 48 vane rotors - $2295

• Powerbrake kits are bolt-on ready to fit complete brake kits (excluding fluid)
  • Our 350x34mm (13.77”) - 48 vane 1-piece rotors are a world leader for Ranger with curved cooling vanes (additional surface area) which are directional for maximum cooling and each rotor has the MTR (Max Temperature Recording) paint system.
  • Our 6 piston calipers and rotors are a direct technology transfer of our Dakar Rally & Off-Road racing heritage and experience that is incorporated into our 4WD customer big brake kits.
  • https://www.powerbrakeglobal.com/street-trail-x-line-1
5) Caliper Surface Finish (Color)

• Our X-Line 4x4 calipers are available in two finish options. Either a Red anodize (type-2) or a Dark Grey hard anodize (type-3). The anodize dyes used for our Red finish have been carefully selected to offer the maximum UV and temperature resistance to ensure long-term color retention. The Dark Grey hard anodize is our most durable finish and is the finish that we use on all of our R-Line off-road race calipers. https://www.powerbrakeglobal.com/street-trail-x-line-1#caliper-surface-finish
Our company specializes in 4WD; you are working directly with the factory and the dedicated team who off-road in South Africa and the USA all the time, please let us know if you need any additional information or give me a call in NC if you would like to discuss the product application for your Ranger, I will reach out to you as soon as we have the USA Ranger kit ready to go in the next couple of weeks.

Regards,
Delon Murphy
Powerbrake
Huntersville NC
Cell: 704.804.2438
E mail: [email protected]
www.powerbrakeglobal.com

www.facebook.com/Powerbrake.Official"

BassRanger

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Supercab STX, 2010 Mustang
Occupation
Goodyear
Just my suggestion, but if you are looking to "upgrade" brakes, do yourself a favor and at least try a different brake compound first before diving head first into these multi thousand dollar brake setups.

Bendix has a semi-metallic pad for our trucks for under $100 shipped for all 4 corners. Typically semi-metallic pads have a better cold bite, higher friction coefficient, and better fade resistance than ceramic pads, with the drawback of being dustier and noisier.

Brake pads and tires are way more important to braking than most understand. I can't tell you how many cars I've seen with huge multi-piston brakes setups at Auto-X get their lap times mopped by a car with stock brake hardware, a race pad, and a decent tire.

As the saying goes brakes stop the wheels, tires stop the car.

Yama_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Raptor Soon 2021 APG Ranger
The value of larger brakes on trucks has a lot to do with the weight we add. @BassRanger has some very valid points. But, most guys aren't adding 20+ lbs per corner in oversized tires and hundreds or thousands of pounds of cargo to their hot car to autocross. For instance, I'm running 35x12.50r17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers at 75lbs per tire and around 500+ lbs of gear in addition to passengers at all times. Living and driving out West where 80 MPH is the norm and long downhill grades are common, performance out of the stock brakes is noticeably diminished. Specifically, I can still brake hard enough to lock up the tires in an emergency but there's less modulation of braking control along the way. The conversation isn't as simple as absolute stopping power but precision control. It's situations like this where bigger brakes can help these small trucks. If you've ever driven something like a modern 1 ton pickup which tend to have relatively. big and powerful brakes this distinction will make a lot of sense.

BassRanger

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Supercab STX, 2010 Mustang
Occupation
Goodyear
If your brake performance is diminishing, it means that something in the system is suffering heat related failure. It's normally either brake pads, or fluid operating over their intended range. Can larger brake hardware help this? Yes, but so can a pad and fluid with higher heat ranges.

Brake pedal modulation is mostly a function of your brake pad compound. All else being similar, big brake kits typically offer less brake modulation, for two main reasons. Increased piston area, and moving the clamping point further away from the center of the rotor will increase torque applied vs the pedal pressure. This translate in the firmer more sensitive pedal many report when they install BBKs. Pedal modulation is mostly about finding a compound that will provide you with consistent friction behavior from initial bite to lockup. Here's a good article on the subject.
https://www.g-locbrakes.com/faqwd/what-is-brake-modulation-2/

HD pickups typically run regular old iron 2/1 piston brakes that you will find underneath pretty much any non-performance vehicle. Their rotors and consequently calipers will normally be thicker though.

I'm not suggesting to never get big brakes, Just try a set of pads first before you spend thousands of dollar on these huge multi piston, 2 piece floating rotor, drilled/slotted disc, brake systems.

One thing often overlooked with these off brand brake brake kits is you are now tied to that company for your consumables, as they almost always use proprietary rotors and pads. A simple front pad and rotor replacement with the listed kit is going to cost you at least nearly $500, plus shipping from Hong Kong(or wherever they ship from) just for parts.

OP
OP

CHIEF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER WILDTRACK 2.0L BI TURBO
If your brake performance is diminishing, it means that something in the system is suffering heat related failure. It's normally either brake pads, or fluid operating over their intended range. Can larger brake hardware help this? Yes, but so can a pad and fluid with higher heat ranges.

Brake pedal modulation is mostly a function of your brake pad compound. All else being similar, big brake kits typically offer less brake modulation, for two main reasons. Increased piston area, and moving the clamping point further away from the center of the rotor will increase torque applied vs the pedal pressure. This translate in the firmer more sensitive pedal many report when they install BBKs. Pedal modulation is mostly about finding a compound that will provide you with consistent friction behavior from initial bite to lockup. Here's a good article on the subject.
https://www.g-locbrakes.com/faqwd/what-is-brake-modulation-2/

HD pickups typically run regular old iron 2/1 piston brakes that you will find underneath pretty much any non-performance vehicle. Their rotors and consequently calipers will normally be thicker though.

I'm not suggesting to never get big brakes, Just try a set of pads first before you spend thousands of dollar on these huge multi piston, 2 piece floating rotor, drilled/slotted disc, brake systems.

One thing often overlooked with these off brand brake brake kits is you are now tied to that company for your consumables, as they almost always use proprietary rotors and pads. A simple front pad and rotor replacement with the listed kit is going to cost you at least nearly $500, plus shipping from Hong Kong(or wherever they ship from) just for parts.
Great info thanks! I think that the company list compatibility with after market break pads.

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
I'm all for change your pads & fluids, higher heat, before anything else.

Noface

First Name
Jes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Occupation
Nerd
Fitting for this thread.

4WD 24-7
ARE BIGGER BRAKES WORTH IT? Standard vs. Aftermarket brake test - Why the OE ones failed!

PltFX4

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2109 Ranger Lariat FX4
Fitting for this thread.

4WD 24-7
ARE BIGGER BRAKES WORTH IT? Standard vs. Aftermarket brake test - Why the OE ones failed!

Good find!! Very interesting... and timely. However, the Bendix AU website does not show or offer a BK with calipers, just rotors and no rear kit. Huummm...

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
After going with the stock size drilled/slotted rotors and pads on my last daily. I am 100% going back with a similar setup on the Ranger. I was shocked at how much they helped with driving in super wet conditions and wouldn't fade no matter how dumb I was being (also a good fluid was added)