Best way to secure boxes / coolers in bed?

jmurph

First Name
jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Ranger
Occupation
Gov
anyone have something cool or bought that works good for tie downs or sectioning their beds? talking about coolers and boxes and random misc stuff to not slide around.
Sponsored

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
anyone have something cool or bought that works good for tie downs or sectioning their beds? talking about coolers and boxes and random misc stuff to not slide around.
I don't have these, but you can get cargo bars, or slings. https://www.amazon.com/Reese-Explor...rds=truck+bed+cargo+bar&qid=1621164707&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com/Full-Size-Pi...s=truck+bed+cargo+sling&qid=1621164786&sr=8-3

Or, you could use the old 2x6 method. I think there are slides in the side of the beds for that, but not sure.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/bed-divider-for-beds-w-drop-in-liner.7234/

Mastodon

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2020 Explorer Limited
I never liked the idea of that first one being pushing outward against the unsupported bed sides. Always seemed to me that a fit secure enough to be useful would mean potentially warping the sheet metal of the bed, since there’s nothing behind it. And while there’s some good examples of the 2x6 version on the F-150 forum, wood’s heavy, not as cheap as it used to be, and looks too DIY on trucks as expensive as these are.

Instead, I (with the help of my 3D printer) fabbed up my own bed divider that bolts to the middle tie down spots. Gotta do something with those empty holes, right? Cross bars come from the top rail of a chain link fence ($13 from Home Depot).

95D43F8E-F648-456D-AF37-393F52896439.jpeg

8361DEB8-6F0A-4006-9263-9C64FF2FE61F.jpeg

88C47EF6-50F8-4F5B-ADAE-B22D41BC8125.jpeg

Whole setup is very strong, but there was one flaw: had to unbolt it if you needed to use the full length of the bed. Enter the version 2 prototype:

Despite being so easy to install, it’s surprisingly secure. Tested it by slamming that side of the truck against one of those antil-collision poles (the ones set in concrete to protect fences or the corners of buildings.) Hit hard enough to relocate the rear axle and pull the driveshaft from the transmission, but that quick release mount stayed in place! That’s right: I do the hard testing, so you don’t have to!
1ABC7B04-1A97-4F92-BBB9-2798FDC05956.jpeg

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Whole setup is very strong, but there was one flaw: had to unbolt it if you needed to use the full length of the bed. Enter the version 2 prototype:

Despite being so easy to install, it’s surprisingly secure. Tested it by slamming that side of the truck against one of those antil-collision poles (the ones set in concrete to protect fences or the corners of buildings.) Hit hard enough to relocate the rear axle and pull the driveshaft from the transmission, but that quick release mount stayed in place! That’s right: I do the hard testing, so you don’t have to!
I remember that, and version 2 looks great. I also remember your accident and it's still painful to look at.

Jms81661

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Ranger Sport
Occupation
Truck Driver
I got one for each side. These swing boxes are cool and lockable. I got recovery gear and tools in one. My guns in the other. A little pricey at $199 from Stage3 but they're really user friendly with the swing on them

IMG_20210417_093100742.jpg

Mastodon

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2020 Explorer Limited
I remember that, and version 2 looks great. I also remember your accident and it's still painful to look at.
The mount for the passenger side was still on the printer when it happened (each side takes about 20 hours to print) so I haven’t been able to test it with the poles in place yet. And yeah, it looks painful, but surprisingly the initial estimate from the body shop wasn’t that bad. Only $6400 of damage. The kicker is in timing: estimating 25 days to repair.

We had been planning to use the Ranger to pull our RV around the PNW for all of June, but now we’ll have to use the Explorer instead. Between the trip and the repairs, I won’t be able to mess with the divider until July.

OP
OP

jmurph

First Name
jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Ranger
Occupation
Gov
I got one for each side. These swing boxes are cool and lockable. I got recovery gear and tools in one. My guns in the other. A little pricey at $199 from Stage3 but they're really user friendly with the swing on them

IMG_20210417_093100742.jpg
These work well with your tonneau cover? They swing out even with the cover on? Looks nice but that is a big price Tag for a niche box

ScrappyLaptop

First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT SuperCrew 2x4
Occupation
IT
I never liked the idea of that first one being pushing outward against the unsupported bed sides. Always seemed to me that a fit secure enough to be useful would mean potentially warping the sheet metal of the bed, since there’s nothing behind it. And while there’s some good examples of the 2x6 version on the F-150 forum, wood’s heavy, not as cheap as it used to be, and looks too DIY on trucks as expensive as these are.

Instead, I (with the help of my 3D printer) fabbed up my own bed divider that bolts to the middle tie down spots. Gotta do something with those empty holes, right? Cross bars come from the top rail of a chain link fence ($13 from Home Depot).

That is a tragic photo. Why'd they put that post in your way, anyway?

But I love the design of those brackets!

I tried the 2x6 method and decided it was too much trouble. Not only does it weigh a ton even with drilled 2" holes, but the 2x6 doesn't fit lengthwise in the bed! If I'm removing it, it's because I need to put cargo in and that doesn't work if a 2x6 has to lay diagonally in the bed.

So for now I'm making due with a couple of cheap ratcheting cago bars but they're nowhere near as clean looking as your design! Any chance of posting the STL's on github or elsewhere?

Bludrok

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ranger5g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor

Wow. Charge extra when you sell these since they are crash tested.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Borrowed from Mastodon, my slightly modified version of his, not as pretty but gets the job done.

Bed Divider Finished.jpg

LB'sTremor

First Name
Loren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Iconic Lariat Tremor
Occupation
IT