Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Crew 4x4 XLT Blue
Occupation
Bars!
Vehicle Showcase
So my Ranger is too quiet.

I've been looking at cat back kits online, but its hard to know what actually sounds good and what just is meh! Doesn't have to be a catback though since technically we have no emissions laws or testing here.

I've seen these AFE and MBRP kits for as low as $400-$450ish, then like a Magnaflow or Flowmaster kits in the 550-600 range, with Borla in the $800 and then Fords "factory performance kit" for like $1100.

So anyone tried any, gotten a good tone out of it. I know I wont get that nice deep V8 rumble, but I definitely do not want a Honda Fart Can whistle!!!!

Also has anyone seen any other improvements with exhaust systems, more seat of the pants power, actual dyno numbers, mpg increases or etc?
Sponsored

OP
OP

xxEMOxx

First Name
Katie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bars!
Vehicle Showcase
Have you checked out the AWE 0fg? I think it’s a great option to consider.

I have not yet, but I will so many options and very hard to evaluate through online videos vs. in person.

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
Exhaust is so subjective, what sounds good to me may not to you. Also listening on a phone or laptop doesn't help either between the poor recording and subpar speakers on most laptops. There is a thread somewhere on here for Exhaust videos only.

I'm staying stock for now but my plan is to hopefully hear some in person during a meet sometime. Not sure when that will happen due to COVID but we'll see. See if there is anyone else local in your area that could meet up if they have an exhaust and you could hear it in person.

OP
OP

xxEMOxx

First Name
Katie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bars!
Vehicle Showcase
Exhaust is so subjective, what sounds good to me may not to you. Also listening on a phone or laptop doesn't help either between the poor recording and subpar speakers on most laptops. There is a thread somewhere on here for Exhaust videos only.

I'm staying stock for now but my plan is to hopefully hear some in person during a meet sometime. Not sure when that will happen due to COVID but we'll see. See if there is anyone else local in your area that could meet up if they have an exhaust and you could hear it in person.
Awesome I like the meet ideas. You are very correct about the subjectivity of listening via videos especially after most cameras soften and level out the sound, then throw in file compression and crappy phone/tablet/tv or computer speakers it does make it difficult to get a solid evaluation.

Hence why I am curious about peoples in person opinions and or if they currently own a kit their experiences with it.

dguffin

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Corsair, 19 Ranger, 12 Boss, 08 Zuma
Occupation
Shop Foreman
Vehicle Showcase
I finally gave up on sound clips. They just all seem to sound alike, and seem to be done at WOT all the time. I wanted some sound, but not loud or drone to me. I have bought other Ford Performance parts for my Ranger and went that way again. The stuff isn’t cheap, but quality and warranty is there. I got lucky and sound is perfect for me. It’s there on acceleration and quiet on cruise.

OP
OP

xxEMOxx

First Name
Katie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bars!
Vehicle Showcase
I finally gave up on sound clips. They just all seem to sound alike, and seem to be done at WOT all the time. I wanted some sound, but not loud or drone to me. I have bought other Ford Performance parts for my Ranger and went that way again. The stuff isn’t cheap, but quality and warranty is there. I got lucky and sound is perfect for me. It’s there on acceleration and quiet on cruise.

It seems nice, just its twice what established truck aftermarket makers have for half price or a little over half. So I am going to keep looking for now. Its not a must have like the lift is/was...... just further down the rabbit hole of making this truck mine.

_Ian_

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
Commercial Real Estate Management
Vehicle Showcase
Just installed the AWE catback and absolutely love it. I’ve had a fair share of four bangers with exhausts and this does not sound like that. Like you said, it’s not a V8, but it is a very deep tone that sounds great when you give it some gas, but almost non existent when cruising. Has a great deep/choppy sound at idle too.

cant say I notice any power difference, but everything certainly seems smoother throughout the rpm range. Overall I’m 100% satisfied with the purchase and would highly recommend to anyone.

RangersLeadTheWay

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Just installed the AWE catback and absolutely love it. I’ve had a fair share of four bangers with exhausts and this does not sound like that. Like you said, it’s not a V8, but it is a very deep tone that sounds great when you give it some gas, but almost non existent when cruising. Has a great deep/choppy sound at idle too.

cant say I notice any power difference, but everything certainly seems smoother throughout the rpm range. Overall I’m 100% satisfied with the purchase and would highly recommend to anyone.
I’m glad to hear that as I ordered one last week and am waiting for it to come in.

Richard Conley

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2016 Honda Accord Touring
So my Ranger is too quiet.

I've been looking at cat back kits online, but its hard to know what actually sounds good and what just is meh! Doesn't have to be a catback though since technically we have no emissions laws or testing here.

I've seen these AFE and MBRP kits for as low as $400-$450ish, then like a Magnaflow or Flowmaster kits in the 550-600 range, with Borla in the $800 and then Fords "factory performance kit" for like $1100.

So anyone tried any, gotten a good tone out of it. I know I wont get that nice deep V8 rumble, but I definitely do not want a Honda Fart Can whistle!!!!

Also has anyone seen any other improvements with exhaust systems, more seat of the pants power, actual dyno numbers, mpg increases or etc?
I have the Borla sold thru Ford Performance because I wanted something the dealer could install. It sounds very similar to the clip below but a bit better IMO. I like the double chrome tip. For a more traditional dual outlets look at the Gibson on here also with sound clips. IMO the sound clips are pretty accurate representations of how they sound.

OP
OP

xxEMOxx

First Name
Katie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bars!
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Borla sold thru Ford Performance because I wanted something the dealer could install. It sounds very similar to the clip below but a bit better IMO. I like the double chrome tip. For a more traditional dual outlets look at the Gibson on here also with sound clips. IMO the sound clips are pretty accurate representations of how they sound.

Thanks for the feedback just unsure what clips your referring too.

I maybe able to get my S.O. buddy to make a muffler delete and I may try that first then go from there.

Richard Conley

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2016 Honda Accord Touring
Thanks for the feedback just unsure what clips your referring too.

I maybe able to get my S.O. buddy to make a muffler delete and I may try that first then go from there.
I think you'll find sound clips to most all of the brands in these Forums if you you look,
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc