First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Occupation
Sales
Im very excited about the ranger and really excited about the 4cyl ecoboost powertrain.

These engines are so tuneable I started to think about bolt on upgrades that will be available which led me to thinking about exhaust note and noise with aftermarket exhaust. I wonder if there will be any options that actually have a “truck” sound, even though im not sure what that would be exactly.

I’ve had modified turbo 4cyls before in sporty cars but never thought about what it might be able to sound like in a truck application.
Sponsored

Beef_Stew

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Ford Performance by Borla is offering a catback system with a single in, dual out passenger side exit system (past the rear tire like factory) with optional chrome or black tips. I have to say I'm curious how it will sound.

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger SCrew Lariat FX4 Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Ford Performance by Borla is offering a catback system with a single in, dual out passenger side exit system (past the rear tire like factory) with optional chrome or black tips. I have to say I'm curious how it will sound.
You can hear it in this video at 5:24 :cool:

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Sounds like a not-so-angry bumble bee.
Sure does. Not sure there is any way to make a 4 cylinder sound like a big V8. It's always going to be a 4 cylinder and you run the risk of giving it that "ricer" sound.

Beef_Stew

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Sounds kind of mellow to me. It'll never be a v8 but if you can hear a little spool through it I'd be happy

OP
OP

Drag Limited

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Occupation
Sales
I agree, im not sure what type of muffler setup would maximize turbo sounds/ spooling and minimize fart can noises. I fear any high flow straight through design will lend itself to less desirable noises.

Im hoping for more of a Mitsubishi evo sound and less honda civic.

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
I've found that welded mufflers tend to have less drone and buzz on smaller displacement engines. I used Thrush welded mufflers on my 91 SHO and only got buzz in higher RPMs. I also used the Thrush on my 88 Ranger 4.0l swap with Hooker Headers.

BONESTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 Lightning, 04 Mach 1, 13 F150 5.0L
Please just keep it as quiet as possible. It'll never sound like a "truck".

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So... my RS has basically the same 2.3L Twin Scroll turbo engine... This is what it sounds like with what is pretty much a straight through exhaust. No mufflers.

rduvall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Altima
So... my RS has basically the same 2.3L Twin Scroll turbo engine... This is what it sounds like with what is pretty much a straight through exhaust. No mufflers.
Well that sounded much better than expected! Also, not sure which one of us has more grey hair........... Nice mods though! The cupholder swap was an especially nice little piece of work.

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well that sounded much better than expected! Also, not sure which one of us has more grey hair........... Nice mods though! The cupholder swap was an especially nice little piece of work.
Haha thanks! I've had grey hair since I was 21 strangely enough. I guess its better to have grey hair than no hair? That cupholder swap was a lot of work for something that should've came that way from the factory. It boggles my mind why Ford would change something like that from Europe to the US.

rduvall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Altima
Haha thanks! I've had grey hair since I was 21 strangely enough. I guess its better to have grey hair than no hair? That cupholder swap was a lot of work for something that should've came that way from the factory. It boggles my mind why Ford would change something like that from Europe to the US.
I have had my grey hair since around the same time. It is insanely thick and I count my blessings as I see family members younger than I am that already have significant hair loss!

It isn't just Ford that does stuff like that. I have seen a few other companies make stupid little tweaks for the US market. My brother-in-law has a Golf GTI Autobahn edition. His #1 complaint is that they change the tail lights. The EU ones look much better. With trucks, the changes are typically a bit different.

Beef_Stew

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat

If I could get my ranger to sound like your rs I'd be more than happy. Even in stock RS tone
Sponsored