First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Retired
I have ran both unleashed and 5 star performance tunes. I had unleashed first and ran it almost year. Tried 5 star performance tune and still running it to this day.
What did you like better about 5-Star?
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP

chicagoslick

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger and 2016 Ford Fiesta ST
Occupation
Quality Engineer
Thanks everyone for providing options. I ended up buying LMS. I called and spoke to a real person there. I was shocked to actually talk with someone when I called. I was also surprised I did not wait on hold for hours. While I can't speak to all interaction with them it has at least started well. Also, my tuner was packed and shipped within hours of placing my order.

Chicagoslick

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
Thanks everyone for providing options. I ended up buying LMS. I called and spoke to a real person there. I was shocked to actually talk with someone when I called. I was also surprised I did not wait on hold for hours. While I can't speak to all interaction with them it has at least started well. Also, my tuner was packed and shipped within hours of placing my order.

Chicagoslick

They have always been super quick to answer my stupid as hell questions. I am pretty sure they think I am a total dipshit but they humor me. Grats on getting it quick. Mine was stuck waiting on a chip for a good bit before I got mine, but it was worth the wait. Let me run all the low octane stuff out of the tank and have 93 waiting for the new programming.

If you didn't already see it here - one thing they DONT mention.. or I missed it. When you start the flash. You get to see ALL of the warning screens flash up on the info display. The first was an overheat warning that was startling and confusing since it wasn't running then I figured out what was happening. That and if you were tracking anything on your trip thing; they will all reset. The oil monitor does not; that stays the same.

Still curious what triggers the truck to tell you to read your owner's manual; that is a warning it displayed.

OP
OP

chicagoslick

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Quality Engineer
Installed the 93 tune, but can't say it is anything special. I guess only time will tell. Also, not real happy about losing my start stop when I specifically requested that that stay operational. Additionally, not sure if my tire size is being taken into consideration. I will have to check it with a speed app or Google to see if it is accurate.

BTW I could be a bit jaded or have unrealistic expectations as do have a modified FIST that feels quick, even if it may not be...

AndyMedic

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Paramedic
You can write them back and they should update it the ASS for you.
I had to change my tire size on the calibrator itself. To my knowledge they won’t program the tire size for you. You’ll have to Google the rotation per mile for your tire takes about 2 minutes to update it. Check and adjust as needed.

OP
OP

chicagoslick

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Quality Engineer
Yes unleaded 93. After a few weeks with the tune it has improved in power, but serious fuel mileage loss. I went from ~26 confirmed mileage down to less than 22...In all past tunes I received, via Cobb, for other vehicles I increased gas mileage even after having to use 93. I will continue to monitor.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Yes unleaded 93. After a few weeks with the tune it has improved in power, but serious fuel mileage loss. I went from ~26 confirmed mileage down to less than 22...In all past tunes I received, via Cobb, for other vehicles I increased gas mileage even after having to use 93. I will continue to monitor.
Are you sure it's not your right foot going down a little bit more to have fun? I know that tends to happen when you have a little more power I know that tends to happen when you have a little more power

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
I am running the LMS 93 softer shift tune. Noticeable increase in HP. Mileage is about the same. I don't get on it a lot unless I want to smile or smoke a Volvo.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I am running the LMS 93 softer shift tune. Noticeable increase in HP. Mileage is about the same. I don't get on it a lot unless I want to smile or smoke a Volvo.
You spelled Toyota Wrong

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
Late to the party here but I've been running a Unleased Tune (Torquerules tune) for many miles! I tuned my 19' Ranger when I had maybe 3k on it...at 72k now. I've tried 5 Star (had nothing but isses...just wasn't smooth power delivery IMO) Tried Gearheads (plenty of power but not smooth at all). And Unleashed....by far the best and smoothest power delivery! Also had my past 2 Focus ST's tuned by Unleashed. My truck has never been in the garage with an engine or transmission issue (knock on wood)

OP
OP

chicagoslick

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Quality Engineer
Thanks for everyone's replies. In context on the gas mileage. I have owned and currently own 3 other turbo charged vehicles and all gained mileage in addition to hp and torque with tunes. This is the only tune where I lost gas mileage, and it was significant. I will probably spend time with a tuner who can dyno the vehicle so that it can be optimized. I'm sure I received a canned tune probably not even taking into consideration my mods, even though they ask for your mods. Pretty common for most tuners. My last 4 vehicles, prior to the 3 I have now, with tunes from Cobb, were all more powerful and gained ~1-2 miles per gallon. Mind you, that is with their equipment installed and their tune / tuner. In the case of my Ranger I have various companies' components installed and the LMS Tuner.

I wish Cobb offered stuff for the Ranger, but they don't. Surprising as the 2.3 engine is similar to the Mustang and Focus RS. If I'm not mistaken it actually is built better as they learned from the issues from previous versions.

Thanks,
chicagoslick

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Well dang I am a little late on this.

I ran a 93 performance tune (SCT box) from 5-Star for years with zero prroblems. I recently discovered that GM pretty much has the ability to do flash tunes on lock down and your only choice on their newest models are piggy back or mailing your ECM in to a company. Gonna put my SCT box up for sale soon (I de-tuned and unlocked it prior to my trade in)
Sponsored