Bed cover questions.

Igor

First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2020 XLT 4x4 Sport
When I ordered my Ranger, I also ordered a hard folding tonneau cover. Tri fold. I’m not sure of the brand from the factory, but I REALLY like it. One of the best things I ordered for the truck.
Thinking to do the same.
Does anyone know if it will be possible to add Yakima bed rack later over the cover or I need to add rack fist?
Sponsored

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Thinking to do the same.
Does anyone know if it will be possible to add Yakima bed rack later over the cover or I need to add rack fist?
I'm not sure, but I don't think you can put a rack with the one I got.

LaKings

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Hi everyone - Question; For those of you with Gator, Undercover or BakFlip covers, do any of you also have a factory drop-in liner? I'm trying to figure out if installation is going to be a pain in the butt. I've read that I may need to make "notches" and i'm not sure if that means I would have to remove the in-line to cut pieces out or? Thanks in advance for any insight.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
I do have the same one. Sounds like they may have possibly updated the cover as mine is a year old now. On mine there is definitely a bar that bolts to the top of the bulkhead of the bed to make it the same height as the bed rails.
I just got a used Undercover Flex and it has the bulkhead bar and no corner brackets. I called Undercover and they indeed did make a design improvement. Seems the Al bed we have is not ideal for clamping things to, especially as a cantilever. The steel brackets end up as the clamping surface for the end clamps.. The sell an upgrade kit for ~$60. Also those of you that are original owners you might see if they can cover under warranty.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
I just got a used Undercover Flex and it has the bulkhead bar and no corner brackets. I called Undercover and they indeed did make a design improvement. Seems the Al bed we have is not ideal for clamping things to, especially as a cantilever. The steel brackets end up as the clamping surface for the end clamps.. The sell an upgrade kit for ~$60. Also those of you that are original owners you might see if they can cover under warranty.
Did you get them to send you a set? I'd be interested in seeing them if you do!

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
I do have the same one. Sounds like they may have possibly updated the cover as mine is a year old now. On mine there is definitely a bar that bolts to the top of the bulkhead of the bed to make it the same height as the bed rails.
Retrax also discontinued the metal bolt-on bulkhead spacer. They now ship with a thick rubber seal with 3M tape on the bottom edge. I'm about to find out how well the seal works. At least they updated the installation manual that came in the box.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Did you get them to send you a set? I'd be interested in seeing them if you do!
That was my understanding - everything below except A, J and L is what I am guessing.
And yes the taller rubber seal repalces the bulkhead bar. Makes sense as the bar was not sealed.
1604000176826.png

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
That was my understanding - everything below except A, J and L is what I am guessing.
And yes the taller rubber seal repalces the bulkhead bar. Makes sense as the bar was not sealed.
1604000176826.png
What are the Step Spacers for ?

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase

SuperBford

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
education
Very interested to see how this comes out as I'm looking at a Retrax One XR

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Got the kit this morning. Undercover is an awesome company to deal with. The kit included everything shown in the description I posted earlier PLUS new external clips used to hold the cover flat, more on that later.
The new front seal is MUCH taller and is an extruded seal, so much harder and more duarable.
_d9KOAdcpreYFi0omXDFIO8GP=w1251-h938-no?authuser=0.jpg

All the parts - like the new black clamps :thumbsup:
1604255293811.png

Now the bonus parts. New clips that install much more robustly.
1604255459441.png

The old ones just have a screw that goes in from the top (sorry about the focus, but if you are reading this you likely already have one and know what it looks like!)
1604255600959.png

The new one (RH below) adds a boss that stick into the cover and will take a MUCH higher shear load. The screw now going in from that back side will also dramatically increase the pull out force. All in all a very good design improvement. You will need to drill some holes to install this and the directions are not that clear about that, but pretty straight forwad. Drill a screw sized thru hole thru both sides of the cover using exting threaded hole as a guide. Then from the top side drill a boss sized hole just thru the top surface, if you blow thru both you will need a washer for the screws supplied. They dont supply washers, so I assume the correct way is just thru the top side.
1604255871332.png

Somewhat long post and picture heavy. But I am really impressed with Undercover support after the sale. 2nd Undercover tonneau I have had and second time I was able to upgrade an old design to the current.

Last edited:

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Install is done - very easy. Had to clean out the holes and threads of bed liner with a file and tap, but to be expected. New clip is definitely more robust.
Anyone with an undercover - can you comment on how far back it sits? How much of the tailgate is covered?
bedcover.jpg
Here is what mine looks like

You can see the hail damage which got me a $100 cover. ?
Trying to come up with ways to cover that, thin diamond plate, heavy gauge textured auto wrap.

Jamesb

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 501A, Build Date 12/19
Occupation
Engineering
Install is done - very easy. Had to clean out the holes and threads of bed liner with a file and tap, but to be expected. New clip is definitely more robust.
Anyone with an undercover - can you comment on how far back it sits? How much of the tailgate is covered?
bedcover.jpg
Here is what mine looks like

You can see the hail damage which got me a $100 cover. ?
Trying to come up with ways to cover that, thin diamond plate, heavy gauge textured auto wrap.
Hi Mike,

Here are a few pics of my install. I have the metal bracket bulkhead version.

20201102_094221_resized.jpg

20201102_094245_resized.jpg

20201102_094234_resized.jpg

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Mike,

Here are a few pics of my install. I have the metal bracket bulkhead version.
Thanks James
Mine is positioned a tad forward as the flap at the bulkhead is pretty much covering all of it and your is about 1/2 coverig. Probably have room to pull back a little more as I am more worried about leaking at the tailgate than the bulkhead. Although with the gaps around the tailgate probably doesn't matter!
Thanks for posting - I like the finish on the Ultra more than what comes on the std Flex.

Jamesb

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 501A, Build Date 12/19
Occupation
Engineering
Thanks James
Mine is positioned a tad forward as the flap at the bulkhead is pretty much covering all of it and your is about 1/2 coverig. Probably have room to pull back a little more as I am more worried about leaking at the tailgate than the bulkhead. Although with the gaps around the tailgate probably doesn't matter!
Thanks for posting - I like the finish on the Ultra more than what comes on the std Flex.
Cheers Mike, I wanted the carpet on the underside and also got sucked in by the "light included". Although, I'm not sure how the Ultra finish would look after your hail storm tho!:surprised: :LOL:
Sponsored