got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
What does all this have to do with electrical? :facepalm:
My fault, I was complaining about the cost to have my electric panel fixed and mentioned also having to pay the IRS.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
My fault, I was complaining about the cost to have my electric panel fixed and mentioned also having to pay the IRS.
lol I missed that post. I thought RP was drinking again as it didn't make any sense.

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
120 only tingle me now I might swear but I can deal.
277 that be real bad.
Ever get bit by 480? I did, and lived to tell the tale.
Hand.jpg

Took several years to fully heal, (still itches occasionally as nerves re-connect) and I have a scar today. But I lived, and the hand still works.

IMG_1314.jpg

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
i like electricity.with-in reason.

I change fixtures without ever de-energizing the circuit. I enjoy the risk.
don't judge. some people jump from perfectly serviceable airplanes for fun.
I reminisce about my days at the science museum as a kid when we got to play with the van de graaf generator, and my youth on the farm with electric fences.

I recently helped someone with a flooding basement.
it was mid shin deep when i got there and climbing towards the wall outlets as we waded through the basement trying to save stuff and trying to get the two sump pumps working at removing the water.
i reached down into the sump to feel for the pump to find the float...when i felt that tingle working its way up my arm and out my leg.
I stayed on task though and got that pump back on line.
I'm not going to say I enjoyed it, but I also didn't dislike it either.
Electric banana, that explains a lot
This is all starting to make sense now. ??
I was going to say the same about our electric banana. :crazy:

Yinzcity

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Ever get bit by 480? I did, and lived to tell the tale.
Hand.jpg

Took several years to fully heal, (still itches occasionally as nerves re-connect) and I have a scar today. But I lived, and the hand still works.

IMG_1314.jpg
480 is no joke, glad you lived. Back when I was an industrial engineer, we took NFPA 70E training on electrical safety before we were allowed to work with any equipment out on the plant floor. Nasty stuff if things go sideways. There's videos of folks getting plain vaporized by high voltage equipment.

Despite that I'm still not as careful as I could be with home stuff. Was replacing a switch in a double box last year and didn't think to check if the other switch was de-energized as well. Found out it was live in a hurry when pulling the old switch out.

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
480 is no joke, glad you lived. Back when I was an industrial engineer, we took NFPA 70E training on electrical safety before we were allowed to work with any equipment out on the plant floor. Nasty stuff if things go sideways. There's videos of folks getting plain vaporized by high voltage equipment.

Despite that I'm still not as careful as I could be with home stuff. Was replacing a switch in a double box last year and didn't think to check if the other switch was de-energized as well. Found out it was live in a hurry when pulling the old switch out.

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase

I was working live inside a machine control panel. Sometimes you have to do risky things, and sometimes you just get complacent. I was tired and rushing a little to get finished. Put my hand in the wrong place, and BOOOM. I actually told my buddy next to me I was getting shocked, and he shoved me and knocked me loose. Weird experience. It never hurt. At all. Worst symptom was itching. But I'm a lot more careful around electrical stuff now.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
There is one thing not shown I suspect.

House panels are almost universally too small. For example, my house (new in 2001) only have two open spots for breakers (48 total). thankfully, that is all I needed. My neighbor, on the other hand, needed 6 spots for all of his woodworking tools. The only way was to replace full-sized breakers, with half width ones. This is allowed, but the total number vs. standard width ones, is covered in the code. As a result, he's out of spec. And I'd bet a large number around the area are as well.

Peragrin

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Purchasing
There is one thing not shown I suspect.

House panels are almost universally too small. For example, my house (new in 2001) only have two open spots for breakers (48 total). thankfully, that is all I needed. My neighbor, on the other hand, needed 6 spots for all of his woodworking tools. The only way was to replace full-sized breakers, with half width ones. This is allowed, but the total number vs. standard width ones, is covered in the code. As a result, he's out of spec. And I'd bet a large number around the area are as well.
I have a 1869 cape cod house. when we moved in 2017 it had a then 25 year old 100 20 circuit panel.

in 2019 I had it upgraded to a 200 amp 40 circuit panel. They upgraded all the half size breakers to full size breakers in the process. They also added 3 new circuits for me per my requests. I have less than 8 open spaces.

100 amp main breakers have a 50% failure rate after 20 years. (years of working with electricains)

Magnetetic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Black Appearance Package, 1996 Ranger XLT, 2002 Toyota Sienna CE
The burn marks are the first clue.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
Just discovered what is looks like some dangerous electrical work. I realize accessing the side knockouts is practically impossible given the framed in wood work, and access through the top is difficult, but is this even remotely up to code? This is the front of my electric service panel.
1648602363530.png
1648602389946.png
1648602408573.png
I would not trust the butcher who did this to change the batteries in my flashlight!

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
Jesus you bought a Chrysler house..
I'd like to make a correction please...I believe the correct name is "Stellantis", however the name Chrysler does fit the bill immensely!
Sponsored