First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
I hate when companies design stuff like that, what is going through their head that they say ooh I know lets put the battery under the floor of the trunk! and then that idea gets past several layers of approval.
Battery was put in the trunk to help improve weight balance. The FCA LX vehicles (300, Charger, Challenger) were designed when Daimler and Chrysler merged in the late 1990s.

LX design borrows heavily from the Mercedes E-Class of the period. A very solid car that handles and drives quite well. Challenger is a bit oversized as it's little more than a 2 door Charger . Wonderful cars overall.

Dakota started the midsize truck class in 1986, leading us to where we're at today with the present lineup across multiple marques.
Sponsored

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
My bumper to bumper expires on August 19. My battery has been acting up over the last couple weeks. Auto start/stop not functioning, even after a long drive. I'd put the battery on the charger and it would start at 25% , then take quite a while to charge fully. A load test with my tester failed, so I took it to the dealer. They agreed with my findings and I now have a shiny new battery! Just in time.

Cheers!
K
Out of curiousity before you noticed teh issues how far and often were you driving?

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
I hate when companies design stuff like that, what is going through their head that they say ooh I know lets put the battery under the floor of the trunk! and then that idea gets past several layers of approval.
A bunch of Mercedes we have owned in a previous life had the battery under the rear seat. So much for perfection… ;)

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
That is exactly what it is and does. I have the CTEK (I bought when struggling with battery life issues on my last truck that had modern “battery management SW”) and it did exactly what @Sparky2 explained. The CTEK’s get great reviews which I have found to be pretty well founded.
That's why I bought the Ford one (it's a rebranded CTEK) because it has great reviews on Amazon and most other forums.

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Battery was put in the trunk to help improve weight balance. The FCA LX vehicles (300, Charger, Challenger) were designed when Daimler and Chrysler merged in the late 1990s.

LX design borrows heavily from the Mercedes E-Class of the period. A very solid car that handles and drives quite well. Challenger is a bit oversized as it's little more than a 2 door Charger . Wonderful cars overall.

Dakota started the midsize truck class in 1986, leading us to where we're at today with the present lineup across multiple marques.
Yeah that does make sense, how heavy is that battery? I would think that would make less of a difference than say fuel in the tanks or passengers and where they are sitting, granted my only experience is with marine batteries and modern ones which are at most like 30 to 40 lbs

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
A bunch of Mercedes we have owned in a previous life had the battery under the rear seat. So much for perfection… ;)
Recalling American pickup trucks with the fuel tanks in the cab, behind the bench seat..... just a 'curiosity' now....

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
That's why I bought the Ford one (it's a rebranded CTEK) because it has great reviews on Amazon and most other forums.
I can’t remember where I read it (or likely saw it, YouTube), but a number of the high end motor companies (maybe Porsche, Ferrari?), include a CTEK (probably higher end than the one I have), with the purchase of the car.

Pretty sure it will remain a purchase after the sale for Ford. ;)

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I can’t remember where I read it (or likely saw it, YouTube), but a number of the high end motor companies (maybe Porsche, Ferrari?), include a CTEK (probably higher end than the one I have), with the purchase of the car.

Ford gt does as well I wonder why they have it for that and not our trucks lol, the gt has a very odd layout battery in the frunk and some components up there as well but the engine and the rest back behind

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
Recalling American pickup trucks with the fuel tanks in the cab, behind the bench seat..... just a 'curiosity' now....
All the Formula Fords I owned down through the years had a fuel cell right behind my back (sometimes the expanding boat foam sat right on the AL bulkhead containing the fuel cell). It was a fuel cell so.. but took quite a few seasons before you quit thinking about that fact…. ;)

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired

Wondering if it was Battery Tender which gave birth to the genre? Bought my current device in 1986 to use on my then current motorcycle. Started using it on my cars and trucks afterwards. Triumph Motorcycles markets a device labeled the Optimate. I suspect it's a rebadged device too.

A9930220-Triumph-Battery-Optimiser_White.jpeg

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
Ford gt does as well I wonder why they have it for that and not our trucks lol, the gt has a very odd layout battery in the frunk and some components up there as well but the engine and the rest back behind
Yeah, in the design meeting, hood struts or battery charger? Young up and coming product engineer, “how about neither?” ;)

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
All the Formula Fords I owned down through the years had a fuel cell right behind my back (sometimes the expanding boat foam sat right on the AL bulkhead containing the fuel cell). It was a fuel cell so.. but took quite a few seasons before you quit thinking about that fact…. ;)
Yeah that would be pretty disconcerting for me lol would definitely invest in a fire suit and a very large extinguisher

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Yeah, in the design meeting, hood struts or battery charger? Young up and coming product engineer, “how about neither?” ;)
Sad Face, because it's too true, especially with the current Ranger. The chip shortage compounding the content elimination....
Sponsored