John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
I love this feature...use it all the time and 99% accurate...sometimes it'll come on right at the moment another car enters the view and it goes on/off very quickly...so far no one's thought I was flashing them and flashed back.... ?
Same here. I drive mostly country two lanes and it works great. And the few times I thought they should turn on and they hadn't, I just did it manually.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I'm the kinda of person doesn't like my vehicle telling me what to do. If I wanted to turn my headlights on when I start my vehicle; I will do it myself. Same with auto high beams. More times something gets used the more of a chance it will break/stop working premature. Some features are just annoying like that. Especially if they don't work like you want them too.
I really love the auto headlight feature. I set it in the auto position and never touch it. A pet peave of mine is when people don't turn their headlights on at dusk. They say "I don’t need them to see", but they are also there for people to see you. You use to know when you couldn't see your gauges you neede to turn your lights on. Now with the digital dashes that is not the case. I also hate it when people drive with just their parking lights on and don't turn their headlights on soon enough. Might as well throw in people who turn off/disable their DRLs. I personally run my fog/driving lights along with my parking lights as my DRLs. That way I also have tailights. The better to be seen.

End of rant 2 for the day.

DJS 60

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape Ford Ranger
Occupation
Ironworker
I never use high beems anyway. So annoying seeing a lot of vehicles with their brights on. I figured it was people running with the auto dimmers on, very annoying

KnightWolf

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
IT Consulting
I really love the auto headlight feature. I set it in the auto position and never touch it. A pet peave of mine is when people don't turn their headlights on at dusk. They say "I don’t need them to see", but they are also there for people to see you. You use to know when you couldn't see your gauges you neede to turn your lights on. Now with the digital dashes that is not the case. I also hate it when people drive with just their parking lights on and don't turn their headlights on soon enough. Might as well throw in people who turn off/disable their DRLs. I personally run my fog/driving lights along with my parking lights as my DRLs. That way I also have tailights. The better to be seen.

As of Sept. 1 this year its now law in Canada to have auto headlights + taillights on with DRL's. The dash must also stay dimmed unless the headlights are on.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
I love this feature...use it all the time and 99% accurate...sometimes it'll come on right at the moment another car enters the view and it goes on/off very quickly...so far no one's thought I was flashing them and flashed back.... ?
I agree Sid. Most of my local night driving is in the sticks, and they work great. Even with the little in-town driving I do at night they usually stay on dim because of the traffic.

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Mine work perfect , even after the level kit and bigger tires . The wife says it is her favorite feature . When mine are on auto it seems that if you over ride it with the manual lever that it reverts to manual mode until the switch is moved from regular to auto again .

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport

I agree with your peeves 100%! Parking lights are for parking!

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
If they started working a little sooner at night I'd like them more. I have to override them so they come on until its dark enough.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
If they started working a little sooner at night I'd like them more. I have to override them so they come on until its dark enough.
Mine seem to work just fine. Maybe you need some tint over the ambient light sensor. Or just throw you hat over it and they will come on when ever you want. :)

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I never use high beems anyway. So annoying seeing a lot of vehicles with their brights on. I figured it was people running with the auto dimmers on, very annoying
no, that's people that intentionally turned on their high beams because they think it helps them see better. auto dimmers aren't so obnoxious.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Mine work perfect , even after the level kit and bigger tires . The wife says it is her favorite feature . When mine are on auto it seems that if you over ride it with the manual lever that it reverts to manual mode until the switch is moved from regular to auto again .
if you keep hitting the lever it'll cycle through to auto mode again

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
if you keep hitting the lever it'll cycle through to auto mode again
Yeah I found that out in the other dimmer thread about 30 seconds after posting in this one . Thanks :)

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I like the auto on headlight feature. (Primarily started using it to turn on the DRL's)
However I have high beams off and if I needed them on I'd do so manually.

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Ok I have been observing this more closely the last few days. The auto dim does not work unless it is really dark. I even tried covering the light sensor on the dash. Didn't help at all. Must not have anything to do with the auto dim. Is there a Forscan setting to adjust the sensitivity?
Sponsored