Best Cold Air Intake (Are they worth it?)

the5Gmartian

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
U.S. Navy
For people that have one of the CAI systems installed, do you like it? Any noticeable improvement in power and/or mpg? I am liking the way that the Mishimoto seems to be better engineered than the competition (intake hose is larger, intake system scoop is larger, dry filter, and high quality materials). The Rousch one looks cool as well and users seem to like it, but it seems like a lot of money for an intake hose, lid and filter. All of these CAI kits are insanely priced, so if I do buy one I want it to be worthwhile. I currently have the Ford Performance tune with a drop in K&N filter and it seems to be good, but more power is always better. Any input helps. Thanks!
Sponsored

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
I really have no idea but it's already a cai. My assumption would be it would help
with a tune, best results are probably with the vehicle at the tuners, not a canned tune.
Just too much $ for that. If the air intake would be sitting on top of the motor like in the
60/70/80's, yea, a cai would be good. Keep in mind, I know nothing. ?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I can't speak too much on the CAI yet as I dont have one but before you get yourself one you need to ask what you plan on doing with your truck. Is it a 2WD street truck? Is it a 4x4 that you take Offroad regularly? Do you happen to drive to places where extreme dusty conditions exist?

I say this because if you deal with a lot of dusty places it may not be the best thing for you.

For MPG gain? I cant say yet as most on here have gotten a gain from a nice tune from a reputable tuner. I myself went with Livernois and got an average 2 MPG gain with extra power. I recently put in the AEM air filter and i can say it helped the shift feel so far but other than that I cant say.

Will the power difference be noticeable? Not really as the power to weight ratios is a bit too low for that to make a difference by itself.

pull string get cookies

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 White Platinum
Vehicle Showcase
For people that have one of the CAI systems installed, do you like it? Any noticeable improvement in power and/or mpg? I am liking the way that the Mishimoto seems to be better engineered than the competition (intake hose is larger, intake system scoop is larger, dry filter, and high quality materials). The Rousch one looks cool as well and users seem to like it, but it seems like a lot of money for an intake hose, lid and filter. All of these CAI kits are insanely priced, so if I do buy one I want it to be worthwhile. I currently have the Ford Performance tune with a drop in K&N filter and it seems to be good, but more power is always better. Any input helps. Thanks!
I look at it as a sum of all parts sort of deal. For me, having installed the Ford performance exhaust and tune, it just made sense to add the Roush CAI. Do I like it, yes. Did I notice any difference compared to stock or even drop in K&N, yes. Whether it’s worth spending money on, that’s subjective.

Salty.Ranger

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Pipe Layer
Ive been debating this myself. I come from the car world and the ranger is my first truck but I personally don't feel as though it is worth it. It doesn't really seem to change much but the filter size. The turbo inlet is still the same size. I noticed a different feel from the k&n filter but I couldn't imagine a "cai" that is not much different from stock would add to much performance. Like @Frenchy said id probably avoid if doing more off-road dusty stuff

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Ive been debating this myself. I come from the car world and the ranger is my first truck but I personally don't feel as though it is worth it. It doesn't really seem to change much but the filter size. The turbo inlet is still the same size. I noticed a different feel from the k&n filter but I couldn't imagine a "cai" that is not much different from stock would add to much performance. Like @Frenchy said id probably avoid if doing more off-road dusty stuff
Shoot after the stuff I saw with K&N I would not recommend it what so ever!!! I have seen to many engines get wiped clean from dirt and dust due to a K&N.

As for the turbocharger inlet it wont matter as it will take all it can get and then some and compress the hell out of it.

OP
OP
the5Gmartian

the5Gmartian

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
U.S. Navy
Yeah I definitely agree with both points, however, I do run K&Ns on my atvs in the sand dunes and dirt trails where there is tons and tons of dust and I have never had any issues (although I do run outerwears on top of the filter as well).

DROZ23

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Beening Badass
Better late than never! You're looking at 5-6HP Maybe on a CAI. It might even be half that if you already have a High Flow Filter like AEM or KN. Unless you got all the other stuff first. It will not be much. I witnessed a +12 Mishimoto CAI HP gain. However, that was after a max tune, Turbo Back Ex, Intercooler pipes, AND, a full E85 conversion kit. The thing was already pushing 440HP Before the intake was added. Blah. I am more worried about the crappy Inlet design than the Intake design.

All the dyno runs are with the Hood open. Closed there is about a 1/2 inch of cap for the air to pass to the Snorkel. Buy hot and cold side Pipes first. Or a JB4 before you drop $300-$400+ on a Noise Box. Just bc they built it doesn't mean it will work well. You need a reason, and the reason here is least 100HP over stock. Rangers have had CAI at least since 98.

I just bought a AEM filter, a JB4, and a MBRP Exhaust. Next are Pipes and a Intercooler. Then a Downpipe when CVF launches the version for the 2022. BTW, kiss my ass SPD for charging us $800 for a Downpipe. Just bc you're the first ones with a Bolt on is not an excuse to rip people off. The folks at CVF laughed when I told them that.

Last edited:

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Roush CAI. Not much more than a fancy, better air filter but I’m fine with that. Roush doesn’t talk about hp gains for it and it’s likely for good reason because unless you do all the pipes going in and all the pipes going out, there’s not very much gain.

I recall thinking there was a bit more of a ”high performance sound” at WOT but I drive in S mode with a bit of a heavy foot most of the time anyway and it’s tough to really tell.

But, it looks cool under the hood and I like that you can simply wash the filter instead of replacing it or oiling it.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
There's sucker born every minute...I'm one of them lol...

LawnMM

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Ranger Tremor
There's sucker born every minute...I'm one of them lol...
Me too 🤡

I'm looking at the AirAid, bigger snorkel intake built in, new box with larger cone filter like the Roush or K&N but a little more conducive to dry climate here and uses a dry filter

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
They're a giant waste of money if you don't get a tune.

Based on personal experiences, The woosh sound is fun but even with light foot work you won't see much in fuel mileage increase, certainly no noticeable power(no your butt dyno lies in this case).

In fact you can lose power; I certainly did in my F150 and dakota prior. The F150's 2.7l became sluggish in the low range. It did pick up an extra half mpg but the piss poor power in slow traffic annoyed me enough to remove it.

Unless you want to get a tune or okay with constantly being higher in the rpm ban... No they're not worth it.

DROZ23

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Beening Badass
I have the Roush CAI. Not much more than a fancy, better air filter but I’m fine with that. Roush doesn’t talk about hp gains for it and it’s likely for good reason because unless you do all the pipes going in and all the pipes going out, there’s not very much gain.

I recall thinking there was a bit more of a ”high performance sound” at WOT but I drive in S mode with a bit of a heavy foot most of the time anyway and it’s tough to really tell.

But, it looks cool under the hood and I like that you can simply wash the filter instead of replacing it or oiling it.
To each their own. I come from the performance first, glitter later school. So if it fits your style? do it. Just know what you are paying for. These companies just want to sell product and they make it look like a game changer. But it is not. If your a Roush guy, eat it up! I was going to go all Ford Performance stuff to keep it consistent. That is until I saw the price differential. I going with Ford on the outside only. LOL.

Loweredon33s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Performance person
I have dyno tested quite a few intakes on my truck and other Rangers in various combinations.
Basically, a stock truck on 93 octane will gain about 10rwhp with almost any aftermarket intake. Tuned it’s worth pretty much the same power until you reach a level where you really need that available air. I have noticed that even stock the pedal feeling and lower rpm power is improved with an intake. I currently have a 4” open element intake and a 3.5” turbo inlet on mine and the difference over stock was noticeable, in data, dyno and butt dyno.

IMG_0684.jpeg

IMG_0685.jpeg

IMG_0686.jpeg

IMG_4754.jpeg

IMG_1723.jpeg

IMG_0321.jpeg

IMG_0667.jpeg

IMG_2764.jpeg

DROZ23

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Beening Badass
I have dyno tested quite a few intakes on my truck and other Rangers in various combinations.
Basically, a stock truck on 93 octane will gain about 10rwhp with almost any aftermarket intake. Tuned it’s worth pretty much the same power until you reach a level where you really need that available air. I have noticed that even stock the pedal feeling and lower rpm power is improved with an intake. I currently have a 4” open element intake and a 3.5” turbo inlet on mine and the difference over stock was noticeable, in data, dyno and butt dyno.

IMG_0684.jpeg

IMG_0685.jpeg

IMG_0686.jpeg

IMG_4754.jpeg

IMG_1723.jpeg

IMG_0321.jpeg

IMG_0667.jpeg

IMG_2764.jpeg
Thank you. This is the kind of stuff i am looking for. I'm pushing 310whp now, but most of that is brute forced turbo which is only part of the story. I looking to get better low end and reliability. I am going to look in to this.

I am concerned about the heat from the engine bay with those open designs well as to much noise. Have you noticed any Temp issues running like that?
Sponsored