Are deer whistles worth a damn?

KNI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2021
First consider that deers live about 6 to 14 years where average life span is about 4.5 years.

Then consider that the deer must understand what the deer whistle means so it can avoid it.

Then think about your kids at age of 3-4 years and consider if they would know what to do when they hear deer whistle.

Truth is that deer do understand. I've seen 10 years old female deer teaching her young to stop before road and wait the cars to pass before continuing. Having a deer whistle around her would easily prevent a collision. But I've seen orphaned fawns do to mad dash when they see something they don't understand.

Best one what I have seen was a city rabbit which crossed the road on green light, and when the light turned red he/she stopped in the center walkway and waited for the light to turn back to green before continuing.

The animals do observe and learn, and a deer whistle is one thing. Therefore the results from using it would be mixed, you miss some, you hit some.

OP
OP
MountainGoat

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
First consider that deers live about 6 to 14 years where average life span is about 4.5 years.

Then consider that the deer must understand what the deer whistle means so it can avoid it.

Then think about your kids at age of 3-4 years and consider if they would know what to do when they hear deer whistle.

Truth is that deer do understand. I've seen 10 years old female deer teaching her young to stop before road and wait the cars to pass before continuing. Having a deer whistle around her would easily prevent a collision. But I've seen orphaned fawns do to mad dash when they see something they don't understand.

Best one what I have seen was a city rabbit which crossed the road on green light, and when the light turned red he/she stopped in the center walkway and waited for the light to turn back to green before continuing.

The animals do observe and learn, and a deer whistle is one thing. Therefore the results from using it would be mixed, you miss some, you hit some.
Eh it's not the same with animals. They grow up fast. I have chickens that are 21 weeks old and they are basically full grown and doing grown up things.

Highlander

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Shadow Black Lariat 501A TREMOR
Occupation
Private
Vehicle Showcase

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
They sell similar things over here as kangaroo whistles, I think they act like dog whistles and call them in, if anything.
I've hit several kangaroos over the years - it's a way of life if you live or travel in the country, both with and without the whistles - usually labelled "Shoo Roo"'s ? here. I really don't think it makes any difference, and a number of proper peer reviewed scientific studies here support that view. (not the dodgy cherry picked ones the manufacturers offer up as "proof")

The best thing which works at least most of the time is to try to avoid driving at dusk and dawn - when they're most active.

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
If they worked they would be standard equipment and $1,000 each to replace.
And linked to the Canbus, so that you HAD to replace them, or your car won't start.

Ranger X3

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Supercab Lariat FX4
I had them on an 86 Taurus once. I hit a deer coming back from prom night. They basically make the deer freeze in front of the car thinking to themselves "Hey, what's that sound?".

KNI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2021
Eh it's not the same with animals. They grow up fast. I have chickens that are 21 weeks old and they are basically full grown and doing grown up things.
Yes and no. Humans have developed stunted growth for about a decade in order to enhance the brain capacity. It's a competitive strategy which work pretty well and allows humans to better process data, relations and abstract concepts. Basically we use that time to generate billions of neurons and their connections.

Animals go directly with fastest possible way from birth to adulthood and it takes weeks, months or about a year for most of the animals while larger (Elephants, whales, ect.) take up to two decades due to their size.

The big difference is in brain processing capacity. An adult chicken can process things to level of a toddler, deer would be around 3-4 old, elephants to 8-10 years and some primates up to 12 years (hey, they can have foreign language (e.g. human) vocabulary of about 1000 words..)

Some animals (crows, primates, elephants, etc.) are pretty intelligent and do have capability for abstract thinking beyond pattern recognition. They do create simple tools and utilize these to do stuff but they're not in the level of making combustion engine for example.

So a summary. Consider a deer to be a 3-4 year old with full adult mobility.