Buying an old Ranger - Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'General Ford Ranger Discussions' started by Roger, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Roger

Roger Member

First Name:
    Roger
    Vehicle(s):
    1990 Bronco, 2015 Renegade
    I spotted a 2004 Ranger XLT FX4 for sale. It has about 176k miles on it but seems to be in pretty good condition. I am thinking of buying it as a beat around truck to just do work on and drive out/offroad when I don't want to take my standard vehicle. Has anyone bought an older model? What are some things I should consider checking before buying? My 1990 Bronco finally stopped running.

2. K Knox

K Knox Member

Vehicle(s):
    F-250
    It can be worth it but it depends on the shape of it. You didn't mention a price here but I would be prepared to sink another $1000 into it if it needs work. Sometimes these trucks run great at that age and mileage with no issues and then a few months later, everything starts going all at once. Just ask about all the basic testing on it, take it for a test drive and listen for any off sounds with the engine. Make sure it isn't overheating.

3. FelixDaCat

FelixDaCat Member

First Name:
    Felix
    Vehicle(s):
    Outback
    A buddy of mine put $2,300 on a 2003 Ranger and it was up there in miles but had no rust and everything was still running great. I believe the engine was replaced though. He got that in 2014 and it is still running fine. He did have to get some work done to it, I can't remember the details but he uses it mostly for work. He is in landscaping and doesn't mind ti getting dirty.

OP - what is the price, do you have any pictures? Maybe a listing we can look at?

4. Nadeshot

Nadeshot Member

Vehicle(s):
    '12 Tacoma and '17 Mustang Ecoboost
    I have to really like a truck or have plans for it to get an older one. I wouldn't go more than 10 years out myself but it can be worth it depending on what you are going to do with it. Just keep in mind that it is 14 years old and will need work be it soon as or a year from now.

TMJ77 likes this.
  5. TMJ77

TMJ77 Member

First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle(s):
    2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JK
    I second this. If you are just buying it to buy it and don't have long-term plans, save the money and put it towards a newer truck. It can be a lot of fun messing around with older models but it can also end up costing a lot. If you don't have a scrap yard near where you live, it will cost even more.

6. Roger

Roger Member

First Name:
    Roger
    Vehicle(s):
    1990 Bronco, 2015 Renegade
  7. K Knox

K Knox Member

Vehicle(s):
    F-250
    Be careful with that. A lot of dealerships will do basic tune-ups and have the truck running good enough to outlast the warranty. It appears to only be covered for 3 months as well from what I read. Maybe try to negotiate something longer. Overall, the body is in really good shape and considering it only had 4 owners is pretty good for a car that is 14 years old.

8. Beef_Stew

Beef_Stew Member

First Name:
    Aaron
    Vehicle(s):
    2014 F150 STX
    When looking at older 4.0 sohc Rangers (especially 01-03) make sure they don't have the dreaded timing chain rattle on start up.