ARB Summit Bumper and Warn Winch installed

CC_The_Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
That one recovery hook is expensive!
I have a very important question for you. How did you fit your Baja Designs Fog lights in there? Did you make a special bracket. The ARB fog lights suck. I have the Baja's but could not figure out how to mount them. Heeeelllpppp!
Haha yeah they aren’t cheap! But @Stage3Motorsports shaved a few dollars off it for me and knowing it gives a better recovery angle than the stock tow hook. That’s how I sold myself on it haha.

I actually went with the Paranoid fabrications bracket that @Glocker I think suggested to someone else a while ago. And then cut and tweaked the OEM Baja bracket to attach to that. Worked out a treat.
Sponsored

DrewKD88

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
IT Guy
Haha yeah they aren’t cheap! But @Stage3Motorsports shaved a few dollars off it for me and knowing it gives a better recovery angle than the stock tow hook. That’s how I sold myself on it haha.

I actually went with the Paranoid fabrications bracket that @Glocker I think suggested to someone else a while ago. And then cut and tweaked the OEM Baja bracket to attach to that. Worked out a treat.
Thank You!!! I found the link.
https://www.paranoidfabrications.co...epbzNoFD-sip0hj9OlkDzLh7Ph1RfmrBgkTTaEdPTwIL4
I already ordered it. It's cheap too.

OP
OP
sklnbnz

sklnbnz

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Sport
I also got through (most) of installing the Summit bull bar yesterday. Need to finish it up next weekend and install the ARB skid plates but LOVING the look of it all so far.

04310BD9-A90C-453D-AF9F-0AE665824A9B.jpeg

8343B790-0135-4C7C-A585-19D8DDD72AE5.jpeg
Did you go without the Winch?

OP
OP
sklnbnz

sklnbnz

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ahhhhhhh Those fogs! I am annoyed by that too. It's insane to me that only one LED on the whole board of LEDs lights up. I wrote off to ARB about it, and they sent me a replacement set of LED fogs. I unplugged one of the ones on my truck and plugged in one of the replacements, and it worked exactly the same, only illuminating one LED on the board. One of these days I'm going to put 12v power right to one of my now spare LED fog lights and see if it illuminates full when powered directly of 12V and not off the truck's CANBUS.
I'm not losing a ton of sleep on the LED's in the Fogs... Going to change them out eventually anyway

CC_The_Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Did you go without the Winch?
Yeah - I don’t really need one for what I’m doing. I’ll let a mate spend his money on one and use it to pull me out if needed ;)

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah - I don’t really need one for what I’m doing. I’ll let a mate spend his money on one and use it to pull me out if needed ;)
I'd rather have a winch I seldom use than not have it when I need it!

Around here a lot of the off-road crowd spends their money on off-road lighting and not the winch, and then you find their vehicles stuck waiting for help.

DrewKD88

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
IT Guy
I installed the winch for peace of mind. An offroad recovery tow can cost easily over $1k. One tow and the winch already pays for itself. I offroad a lot in the mountains and the deserts. I'd rather be self sufficient than rely on someone else. The downside is the weight and the initial hit to the wallet. However, my bumper is for peace of mind too just like the recovery boards and shovel I carry.

MPage92840

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Construction
Was quite a project this weekend but got my ARB Summit Bumper and Warn Winch installed!

A couple of items of interest to whomever is contemplating this....

• It's Heavy! We used a transmission jack in the middle and Jack Stands on each end to get it up and in place. Transmission jack was a lifesaver. Once it was at the right height, we just lifted it right on and mounted it up.
  • If you're going to put a winch on, I suggest doing it all in one setting so you don't have to remove the bumper to install your winch and then put it back on.
  • Winch control box has to be relocated (Sits on top of the bumper on a winch plate as seen in photo)
    • Make sure you either get the control box extension kit from your winch manufacturer or buy cable and lugs that you can build yourself You will need (on the Warn Evo 10s I installed) about 32" of cable for each of the three leads (Yellow, Blue, Green) from the control box to the winch
  • Instructions were decent, not stellar but decent.
  • Look at pictures of one installed so you can check it out during your own install
  • Allow a weekend to get it done, unless you are a speed deamon

All in all, great install and I'm happy with it.

IMG_2312.jpeg
I'm getting ready to start mine this afternoon after work. Any tricks to getting the stock bumper off? After driving down the road did you notice the front end being squishy or nose diving from the extra weight?

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm getting ready to start mine this afternoon after work. Any tricks to getting the stock bumper off? After driving down the road did you notice the front end being squishy or nose diving from the extra weight?
The front bumper actually comes off nicely. The truck handles awesome despite the extra weight, but I also have the Eibach protruck kit on my Ranger.

MPage92840

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Construction
The front bumper actually comes off nicely. The truck handles awesome despite the extra weight, but I also have the Eibach protruck kit on my Ranger.
Thank you for the feed back. After an all weekend adventure, its on. Since mine is a tremor it has the fox suspension. Noticed it dropped the front about 1 1/2 inches. I'll look into the Eibach protuck kit.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for the feed back. After an all weekend adventure, its on. Since mine is a tremor it has the fox suspension. Noticed it dropped the front about 1 1/2 inches. I'll look into the Eibach protuck kit.
It dropped 1.5" in the front!?!?!

MPage92840

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Construction
It dropped 1.5" in the front!?!?!
measuring from the bottom of the recovery hook before and after I've seen a 1 1/2" drop with the addition of this bumper/winch combo due to its added weight.

OP
OP
sklnbnz

sklnbnz

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Front bumper came off pretty nicely as well... Make sure you disconnect any wires from it. There are lots of zip ties hooked in to the bumper. As for putting it on, once we had the winch installed, we picked up a transmission jack from Harbor Freight. Used that along with Jack stands. My wife and I put it on the truck. Also, there are some holes that you will need to drill for two pin bolts after the main bolts are installed. A step bit and Angle drill were the trick on that.
Sponsored