Anyone else getting a lot of paint chips on their ranger?

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
I had a vinyl shop lay a small fortune worth of 3M rock guard on the leading edges of the hood, valance, fenders, wheel moldings, front bumper and all the way down the sides up to the lower body line.
Stupid expensive, but it's invisible and tough.

It's like D Fresh said, modern VOC compliant paint formulas are crap compared to the planet killing formulas of yesteryear :facepalm:
Sponsored

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
I bought a clear one and had the dealer paint the back side.

7B3BC390-F387-4929-9B5A-5EAAE0493C74.jpeg

59ABA650-C7DF-4C2E-B274-12A8BA3B5498.jpeg
I have been looking. Where did you find the clear one?

bobobama

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX2
Occupation
Retired (and loving it!)
I've used various treatments from Ziebart on my last three (Ford) pickups, from rust protection to their ceramic paint finish. No complaints whatsoever. Trucks look like new even after years of ownership (15 on my first one). Surprised no one's mentioned this alternative.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Mine was so bad I dropped it off this morning for a hood repaint. Have a deflector going on right after.
Do deflectors affect MPG?

billwinkle

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 super cab
Occupation
Retired
The paint on these trucks is absolute garbage. No idea what to do about it. Had it for a year and there is plenty of rusty spots already. I know the entire thing will need to be painted in a year or two.
I just noticed your post. Do the rust spots look like flecks of rust? If so depending on where you live it could be acid rain. I first saw those in 1989 on a white Acura legend. We tried to buff them and ended up repainting the hood as we scratched the daylights out of it. I hope you didn't see this too late.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I just noticed your post. Do the rust spots look like flecks of rust? If so depending on where you live it could be acid rain. I first saw those in 1989 on a white Acura legend. We tried to buff them and ended up repainting the hood as we scratched the daylights out of it. I hope you didn't see this too late.
It's possible that's its rail dust too. I've seen where tiny particles can get imbedded into the paint and if you don't clay your vehicle it will eventually rust. You'd be surprised what contaminates are in the paint even when brand new. While you're washing it take a plastic bag and stick your hand in it and rub the panels on your truck. If it feels gritty then it needed to be clayed. Once it's clayed it'll feel smooth as glass.

billwinkle

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 super cab
Occupation
Retired

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
Yesā€¦ i have those features added, almost doubled after getting new tires/wheels
Sponsored