Anyone else getting a lot of paint chips on their ranger?

SILK

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Crew Cab Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy
Occupation
IT Director
I've gone so far as to contact local PPF installers for a quote and have regularly been quoted upwards of $700 just to do a custom cut of the first 6" of the hood. My first thought was to PPF just the nose where the Aeroskin would adhere to the hood to protect the paint, but the quotes put me off on that idea.

I ordered the Aeroskin by mistake and when I emailed AVS to ask how I can send it back and replace with a Bugflector (see my post above as to why I prefer this), they told me that it's not cost effective to ship back and instructed me to take a screw driver to the middle of the shield and bend it in half and then send them a photo of it bent for the refund. They would rather I destroy the product than find a better use for it. I'm going to ask if I can give it to my buddy who just got a 2020 instead of trashing it.
Sponsored

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
It's not a defect. And it's not just Ford. It's modern paint formulations. Yet another thing you can thank your local tree hugger for.

SFB

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Crew XLT Sport Black on Black with Magnetic trim, package 302A
Vehicle Showcase
AVS II uses the existing rivets but may stick up more than you like.

AVS II.jpg

bug deflector.jpg
This is also the one I got, looks very nice too. Only thing I did different is the little round protectors that stick on, instruction have you putting them on the truck, I stuck mine on the deflector instead.

whiskeybravo74

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Respiratory Therapist
I just noticed this morning I have 3 chips on my hood and one on my door. All the way down to the metal. I've had it exactly 6 months. First vehicle I've owned that this has happened to. Not impressed.

IMG_0281.jpg

IMG_0283.jpg

IMG_0284.jpg

IMG_0285.jpg

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
Waterborne paint. Get used to it.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Yikes. Makes me nervous about getting mine now.
Don't be...it's going to happen no matter what you buy. Direct result of the water based paint now in use.
On several other forums I visit (Subaru, RV-motorhomes) everyone is experiencing the same problems due to the paint being used.

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
Don't be...it's going to happen no matter what you buy. Direct result of the water based paint now in use.
On several other forums I visit (Subaru, RV-motorhomes) everyone is experiencing the same problems due to the paint being used.
I'm not too concerned about the front clip due to the aluminum, it's the normal steel and rust that concerns me. Around here they use a liquid based salt/deicer that devastates unprotected metals.

I do plan to get a stick on hood deflector and mud guards however. The rock guard film? The cost is outrageous.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
10 minutes here in Phoenix and you'd have half a dozen.
I'm jealous.
I’m not sure why I don’t. But I do have mud flaps & running boards. But I don’t have anything protecting the hood.

SILK

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Crew Cab Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy
Occupation
IT Director
I've gone so far as to contact local PPF installers for a quote and have regularly been quoted upwards of $700 just to do a custom cut of the first 6" of the hood. My first thought was to PPF just the nose where the Aeroskin would adhere to the hood to protect the paint, but the quotes put me off on that idea.

I ordered the Aeroskin by mistake and when I emailed AVS to ask how I can send it back and replace with a Bugflector (see my post above as to why I prefer this), they told me that it's not cost effective to ship back and instructed me to take a screw driver to the middle of the shield and bend it in half and then send them a photo of it bent for the refund. They would rather I destroy the product than find a better use for it. I'm going to ask if I can give it to my buddy who just got a 2020 instead of trashing it.
Finally got the Bugflector installed. True to their word, AVS refunded me on the incorrect purchase quickly. Well done by their customer service team.

I don't hate it, but I think this could have been much better molded to the attractive contours of the front of these trucks. The Aeroskin looks fantastic. They should have just made that version of that model with tabs for installing with screws instead of adhesive. My biggest gripe is on either edge where the shield doesn't even bother to match the hood line. See the closeup with my headlight and notice how the shield doesn't follow the hood's upward slope.

IMG_3976.jpg

IMG_3979.jpg

IMG_3980.jpg

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
I have had mine about six months now. One of the first things I did was put mud flaps on. I am shocked at the amount of chips on the bottom of the rear bumper and rear fenders. I don't run gravel. I actually painted over the chips yesterday with touch up paint. With winter coming, lots of salt and chemicals, I worry about rust.