Anyone else get laid off in this pandemic?

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
To all of those affected, not just here on this forum, but worldwide as well, deepest thoughts and prayers for you and your loved ones during this crisis.
It can only get better from here, there will be light at the end of the tunnel...
"Malama Pono"

levimac`

First Name
levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger super crew 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
I still am employed.. but if oil stays in the $20s for to long that could change in a few months.
Isn't this the time of year that many oil refineries shut down for maintenance?
Got my head bit off for asking a question in another thread please don't bite my head off for asking this.
Good luck to all you guys out there who work, I have been retired since 94 , so unless they chop social security and civil service things should be okay for us old retirees.
I sure do pray and hope all you guys get back to work sooner than later!!!!!
Peace and tranquility for all Americans and our brothers across our borders and the mighty waves.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
My wife and I are both teachers, and so we are transitioning to working remotely from home. The impact on us personally is what I would call annoying but not catastrophic. (For example, I miss driving her to work in the Ranger and then going to work myself, a total drive of about an hour and a half. This is usually a great time to talk things over and listen to music.) Our hearts go out to the folks getting sick as well as those whose jobs and income are impacted.

Metalmagic

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger xlt
Occupation
pipe welder. Parts maker on the side
I pray for anyone affected by this. I am one of the lucky ones. I work for the Natural Gas Company local to me and I am the only welder in the area so i am one of the few "essential" employees. However, I do not have to physically see or meet anyone. I am isolated in my shop where noone else comes in and everyone who has an office is working from home so even though I go to work everyday i dont see anyone. Makes for a long day but I am not complaining, I thank God everyday. My wife however...she owns her own salon and had to shut down until April 6 for now...probably longer. Making two mortgage payments sucks but we are in a much better situation to most....

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
Isn't this the time of year that many oil refineries shut down for maintenance?
Got my head bit off for asking a question in another thread please don't bite my head off for asking this.
Good luck to all you guys out there who work, I have been retired since 94 , so unless they chop social security and civil service things should be okay for us old retirees.
I sure do pray and hope all you guys get back to work sooner than later!!!!!
Peace and tranquility for all Americans and our brothers across our borders and the mighty waves.
It is the time there are some maintenance events coming up, but there is talk in postponing some of them or drastically reducing the size of them to minimize repair costs and downtime.

Charley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCrew XLT FX4 Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
My favorite Ford engineer just sent word that Ford has announced a 4 day mandatory vacation for the week of April 6 - 9 (the 10th is a holiday). Meaning employees have to use their vacation time.

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 E450 C-Class, 2019 Ranger Lariat 501A FX4
The functional logistics of what you describe at scale is unrealistic.

levimac`

First Name
levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger super crew 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
It is the time there are some maintenance events coming up, but there is talk in postponing some of them or drastically reducing the size of them to minimize repair costs and downtime.
Hey, thanks for your answer , looks to be a good plan that will help you guys as well as the American public ect...

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
I guess the way I phrased that does sound like internment but not really what I mean...probably should have said "lets keep the elderly safe from the rest of the able working population" and continue to keep our economy moving. Meaning, ask them to shelter in place until the plague has died down or let them take their own chances if they choose.
I don't even want to mention elderly because might seem like I'm targeting an age segment... like that other thread. But the people who need shelter in place most are those who are most at risk, while the rest of us can get back to work.

There's lot of things that could be done - People who should be tested are those who operate nursing homes, symptoms or not, before they even come to work. Anyone entering doesn't get in without a test. Let's keep the folks safe who really need it. Subsidies for at risk people to remain sheltered until the vaccine is ready.

So I agree with your concept. Let's shelter in place the at risk and get the rest of us back to work after a brief shelter in place for all of us to slow it somewhat, some continuing smart social distancing.

Lots of anger, fear, infighting and pent up feelings everywhere you go.
5821981_keep_calm_and_keep_working.png

Also keep clean, and keep your distance. :thumbsup:

Nellieg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger crew cab
The sooner we go back the longer this drags. Everyone gas a morbitity rate, those with certain conditions just have a higher risk. It is off base to assume that if someone doesnt have a higher risk they are safe. They just have a mrtality rate of about half to 80% of those with a preexisting condition. Not getting into the politics of people risk and which poison pill is best jobs or longer quarrantine. At this time with people i know or people i know that know people i am hearing of more and more hospitalizations.

I would suggest we all give ourselves some space on the politics for a moment and realize these people are sons daughters parents friends coworkers and take a moment and reflect how much we can endure and when this is done how we can get through these times together... We are not going to get there quicker if we are divided...

Peace and prayers everyone....

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
My favorite Ford engineer just sent word that Ford has announced a 4 day mandatory vacation for the week of April 6 - 9 (the 10th is a holiday). Meaning employees have to use their vacation time.
That is IF they have such leave available.

The crisis has hit Hawaii hard financially wise, latest reports states that there are 58K people statewide that are currently unemployed. All had jobs that are somehow tied to the state's primary source of revenue, tourism, I truly feel for these people.

Not to boast nor make light of the situation but many years ago working as a mechanic at local dealership, the shop foreman (who was also my mentor) insisted that I take a civil service position, of which I did. He was so adamant that he threatened to come to my home and drive me to the location where testing for the position was held. I was hesitant because of the substantial drop in pay, in his lecture to me he actually called me "baka", which means fool in Japanese.

I retired ater 28.5 years of government employment in July 2018 and am drawing off my pension which allows me and my family to live comfortably, as well as to enjoy full medical coverage.

Wally passed away several years ago, you cannot believe how thankful I am to him, indeed, he was my Mr. Miyagi...

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Okay man, just keep a positive attitude and no matter how stark the picture we all hope all will work out and I am sure it will.
Peace be with ya brother!
Thanks and same to you...if I do loose my job, my Ranger will be lost in a boating accident...:angel:

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
an immunization is probably 18 months away. we can't just hide in our basements. People in the at risk category may have to self distance while the rest of us get back to work. it appears to be seasonal like the regular flu so hopefully it is an it will die down soon an we will have a way to slow it down or stop it next winter.