Any problems installing, maintaining or removing stick-on tailgate letters?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
The ones on the link that I'm looking at are raised plastic and evidently not vinyl but they don't indicate what kind of adhesive is used. 4.8 rating. Are these the same type that you have now?
These are the ones I have on mine now. They've been on for 2 1/2 years and still look brand new. Of course I do use the Graphene on them. :wink:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254207883685
Sponsored

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Although I didn't use them myself, red, green, and yellow lettering are available in 3M reflective tape.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Lol I did see the RANREG or something similar on eBay too. Those were definitely coming from someone who's dyslexic. ?
The reason vendors post this way is to keep Ford at bay as long as possible. These vendors don't have premission from Ford to sell this stuff, so by mis-spelling the word they can slip by copyright laws easier. Ain't that sumpting.....crooks on EBay, whoed a thunk it........But, as long as it's quality vinyl they'll work just fine.

dapakattack

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4
These are the ones I have on mine now. They've been on for 2 1/2 years and still look brand new. Of course I do use the Graphene on them. :wink:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254207883685
Paul, keep in mind that Dave has a damper on his tailgate. The letters have stayed put because they don't suffer any jarring from a slammed down tailgate.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
The reason vendors post this way is to keep Ford at bay as long as possible. These vendors don't have premission from Ford to sell this stuff, so by mis-spelling the word they can slip by copyright laws easier. Ain't that sumpting.....crooks on EBay, whoed a thunk it........But, as long as it's quality vinyl they'll work just fine.
Yeah, seen that with things, like the grill that say DORF, which come to think of it, might look good on my Ranreg.

MikeyB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
I am considering ordering these tailgate letters in Matt black for my Saber with STX trim. I would appreciate any advice or feedback positive or negative that you've had with any brand name of these letters. Also, can they be removed without damage to the paint? Thanks guys!

Amazon.com: okrex Ranger Accessories Tailgate Insert Letters Compatible with Ranger Auto Safety Tailgate Letters for Ranger 2019 2020 2021 2022 3D Raised Rear Emblem Decals with Seccotine(Matte Black) : Automotive
I put these same letters on my tailgate when I first bought the truck, and have since removed them a while ago. Be very careful, take your time with each letter. Don't rush. I would suggest starting at the bottom for each letter and go up. I kinda screwed up on the E letter it wasn't perfect in the slot on the tailgate.
The adhesive is strong as hell, when I removed the letters, the adhesive remained.
I used a soft microfiber cloth(s), goo-gone pro adhesive remover, and WD40
And plenty of elbow grease. The 3M adhesive is no joke- keep in mind.
A nice coat of wax after removal and looks good as new.

Hope you like them on your truck!
I wasn't crazy about them, decided to keep the clean look ?

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
Our dealer had a Ranger on the floor with tailgate letters installed. Decided then before we even special ordered that we wanted letters.

Prior to delivery, we purchased letters from the dealer parts dept. They let us take letters outside to see which color we liked on our Ranger.

Free install and I knew they would do a better job.

Image 592.png

Image 593.png

Letters still look like new . . . under the dust.
Image 587.png

ryday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
I've had the Ford Black Platinum letters for two years and they still look new when they're clean. Go on pretty easy but had to be careful with the middle arm on the E. Very thin and bends too easy. Uses 3M adhesive tape if I remember right, and once it was on it stayed there. They've not come loose yet.

DRVMN

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Off Road
Occupation
High School Mathematics Instructor
I bought the genuine Ford tailgate letters - black, and they have been fine. When installing, I actually removed my tailgate, laid a blanket down on the kitchen Island, and it made it a lot easier to apply the stickers. I believe the set I purchased had Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing (a.k.a. 3M) double-sided tape as well. Had to add that as I live in Minnesota!

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I got the "black stainless" ones from Ford. They are great and look like a really rich upgrade.
Kinda bad old photos, but I'm just too lazy to go get some good ones right now.

View attachment 135365

truck cover5.jpg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
I have some of the vinyl letters and have no problems with them. Going in 2 years. Mine were made from 3M vinyl. Do a wet install and they are pretty easy to line up.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor

WV_Ranger

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
I had the cheap Amazon abs plastic american flag f150 letters on my... you guessed it, f150. They stayed on through power washing, automatic washes, a quite a few spirited trips across the state line. I was happy with them and they really set the truck off. I'm going more subtle with the ranger.

NoTacos

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RangerXLT CrewCab 4x4
my advice to anyone doing the vinyl on the TG....take it off and lay it flat....makes the whole process less painful.
But what if you are one of the TG damper folk. That might be to heavy to take it off. I know I have no strength left in my arms. I would have to hire someone to lift off for me??

but to the OP. I haven’t had my letters (0ff Amazon) on very long so can’t say how long they will last. But if it is genuine 3M tape on the back of the raised letters I got, pretty sure they won’t go anywhere. I had a set of rear taillight covers on my F150 - never came off in the 14 or 15 years I had them on the truck. And my Truck sat outside for all those years and nothing. I was more likely going to break the damn things then have them fall off. If that says anything but like all things - your mileage may vary. Nothing is a sure thing.
Sponsored