First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tremor
Occupation
RN/Paramedic
It is beautiful up there and in Maine too. Some of the nicest country/scenery I've ever been in was up in Northern Maine snowmobiling around Eagle Lake/Fort Kent. For me after 50+ years of dealing with the snow amongst other things I hated it was time to leave. Having a 250' driveway seemed like a good idea when I was in my 30's and built the house. lol

As the old saying goes there "if you don't like the weather just wait a few minutes it'll change". Which is so true.
Drove up from VT to Acadia, Bar Harbor, Portland for a week right before her contract ended.
Stayed just outside bar harbor on the island, near another cool little town. Name escapes me, not as busy as BH.
We try to hit a few national parks a year.
This one is a big one: Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico and Utah. Flying in and out of Nevada, so we are going to try and get Great Basin as well. First trip to Las Vegas we did Red Rock Canyon, Hoover Dam and Valley of Fire

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Drove up from VT to Acadia, Bar Harbor, Portland for a week right before her contract ended.
Stayed just outside bar harbor on the island, near another cool little town. Name escapes me, not as busy as BH.
We try to hit a few national parks a year.
This one is a big one: Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico and Utah. Flying in and out of Nevada, so we are going to try and get Great Basin as well. First trip to Las Vegas we did Red Rock Canyon, Hoover Dam and Valley of Fire
That sounds like a really fun trip. We had a great time last year going through Colorado and Utah and have yet to see New Mexico which is on our list. Although I'll probably have to plan on an extra week there seeing as Paul @OrangeStreak lives there. Something tells me parking lessons will take up most of my trip there. :shock:

I have a bunch of places still bookmarked for CO & UT. If you need any ideas on what to do or where to go let me know I'll send them to you. Most are listed in my thread from our trip here too with tons of pics. but feel free to reach out if you need/have any questions.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
That sounds like a really fun trip. We had a great time last year going through Colorado and Utah and have yet to see New Mexico which is on our list. Although I'll probably have to plan on an extra week there seeing as Paul @OrangeStreak lives there. Something tells me parking lessons will take up most of my trip there. :shock:

I have a bunch of places still bookmarked for CO & UT. If you need any ideas on what to do or where to go let me know I'll send them to you. Most are listed in my thread from our trip here too with tons of pics. but feel free to reach out if you need/have any questions.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I live in south eastern Massachusetts and have traveled and worked all over the country and there is no place I would rather live. I am on a pond, 10 minutes from the ocean, 45 minutes to Boston and a couple of hours to the mountains. It seldom goes over 95 in the summer or below 20 in the winter. We seldom have extreme weather of any kind.

The storm that started this thread is going to be rain in my area with maybe a coating of snow at the end. The weather patterns are typically like this with significant snow to the north and west with very little in my area. Even when we get snow the roads are clear pavement the next day.

Over the past 20 years the weather forecasters in our area have gradually increased their over estimating of snow fall accumulations. I guess they figure it is better to say 1' and have 6" than the other way around. The news stations have also gotten worse at sensationalizing the weather. The channel I typically watch has started using an inverted red triangle and calling most any storm "IMPACT WEATHER DAY".

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
Were these late year snow storms! All my friends and family have said this winter wasn't to bad, some cold spells and very little snow. Now here it is mid March and they're looking at a potential Nor'easter which could dump 12"+ over some areas. The area I was in WMA could see up to 18". o_O

These use to drive me crazy as you're getting ready for spring and then one of these hit. I know they don't last long as the days are longer and the sun is higher but it's still a pain to deal with. Of course everyone will run out now and clear the shelves of bread and water! ?‍♂

Meanwhile here it's been sunny and in the low 80's these past few days. :sun::tumbleweed:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/winter-storm-watch-issued-massachusetts-120246949.html

1678730458955.png
I'm on the Seacoast (Portsmouth, New Hampshire for non-natives) and apart from our 37-year old boiler needing to be replaced (man, the damper franchise I could have started with that money!) the winter has been close to 10° warmer for day and night temps. We did have -10° for 24 hours and our uninsulated house couldn't get warmer that 63° and our second floor got to 38°!

Snow is below normal levels for us, but we're near the ocean and just a few more miles inland, they've caught up to near normal levels.

We did get a good deal of snow two weeks back but it was so wet that the snow thrower would clog (Toro, so no slouch).

And, as you stated, we're supposed to get a dumping starting at noon. But it's been raining overnight and temps are still above freezing - I anticipate that if we get 10" here, it's be wet and heavy again.

But we've got a giant family size of bag of Cheetos, so it'll all be good. Plus we both work from home so the heck with the end-of-driveway snowbanks left by the city plow!

LOL, good thing I just washed Soupie and Kate's car - need clean surfaces for this next round of street slush and grime! =D

Maybe the snow chains aren't enough ...

1678797641601.png

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
This storm looks like it'll impact WMA the most. Right now they're saying there's already 43,000 without power in western and central MA. It's that heavy wet sticky snow like the storm we had there back in October of 2011. That one took out most of the state and many surrounding ones. Some were without power for weeks in that freak October storm.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/thousands-without-power-mass-long-102243660.html

Natalie Khait
Tue, March 14, 2023, 5:27 AM MST

Thousands are without power in Massachusetts as a long-duration nor’easter moves through New England.
According to MEMA over 43,000 Massachusetts customers are in the dark as of 8:30 a.m.

The outages are mainly in western and central Massachusetts which are expected to get the most amount of snow.
Yesterday, Eversource announced that they were expecting widespread outages and to get ready for a wild and potentially dark, cold ride. Some areas will get hit with wet, sticky snow — the kind that clings to limbs.

“We have a fleet of vehicles with about 100 line trucks,” said Craig Hallstrom, president of Regional Electric Operations for Eversource. “Because of the heavy, wet snow, and the winds, we expect a lot of tree damage, so we hired 500 tree crews.”

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I'm on the Seacoast (Portsmouth, New Hampshire for non-natives) and apart from our 37-year old boiler needing to be replaced (man, the damper franchise I could have started with that money!) the winter has been close to 10° warmer for day and night temps. We did have -10° for 24 hours and our uninsulated house couldn't get warmer that 63° and our second floor got to 38°!

Snow is below normal levels for us, but we're near the ocean and just a few more miles inland, they've caught up to near normal levels.

We did get a good deal of snow two weeks back but it was so wet that the snow thrower would clog (Toro, so no slouch).

And, as you stated, we're supposed to get a dumping starting at noon. But it's been raining overnight and temps are still above freezing - I anticipate that if we get 10" here, it's be wet and heavy again.

But we've got a giant family size of bag of Cheetos, so it'll all be good. Plus we both work from home so the heck with the end-of-driveway snowbanks left by the city plow!

LOL, good thing I just washed Soupie and Kate's car - need clean surfaces for this next round of street slush and grime! =D

Maybe the snow chains aren't enough ...

1678797641601.png
This time of the year it's more of an annoyance than anything. That was the whole purpose of my rant. lol I expected the weather there to be cold and snowing in the winter. But when you have these milder winters and you think you're in the clear because it's now mid March mother nature reminds you she's still in control. Then like you said you now have to deal with the mess for a day or two and start all over again.

BTW was Paul @OrangeStreak over for a visit? Looks that way by judging by that SUV's parking. :oops:

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
This time of the year it's more of an annoyance than anything. That was the whole purpose of my rant. lol I expected the weather there to be cold and snowing in the winter. But when you have these milder winters and you think you're in the clear because it's now mid March mother nature reminds you she's still in control. Then like you said you now have to deal with the mess for a day or two and start all over again.

BTW was Paul @OrangeStreak over for a visit? Looks that way by judging by that SUV's parking. :oops:

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Just got of the phone with a fried of mine back in WMA. He has about 4" of wet snow now but it's still coming down hard. His friend who lives up in Worthington, MA (Berkshires) has 21" right now and it's supposed to keep snowing all day there. :shock: Look out David @subquark it could be coming your way.?

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
game publisher
Just got of the phone with a fried of mine back in WMA. He has about 4" of wet snow now but it's still coming down hard. His friend who lives up in Worthington, MA (Berkshires) has 21" right now and it's supposed to keep snowing all day there. :shock: Looks out David @subquark it could be coming your way.?
Yah, it's so wet right now and a mix. We don't go below freezing until Wednesday night - we get to 33° today for the worst of it and snow totals are between 4 to 10 inches for us, so it'll be pretty nasty to clear - or just leave it to thaw when we hit the 44° on Thursday and 47° on Friday!

But that's hard for me to do, I get a little OCD about clearing the driveway. I don't mind shoveling light to medium snow (lol, many times I just stay on top of it with a leaf blower!) but this heavy stuff really tears up my shoulder.

But I can't complain (well ...) and like you said, it was a winter that had some warm enough days that I sat out in the sun in the backyard with Cheech without a jacket! YOu remeber how that goes, after a cold spell, people come out in shorts and tees when it's in the 50s!

Beep, Beep, must get to the dump! =p

1678801308307.png

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yah, it's so wet right now and a mix. We don't go below freezing until Wednesday night - we get to 33° today for the worst of it and snow totals are between 4 to 10 inches for us, so it'll be pretty nasty to clear - or just leave it to thaw when we hit the 44° on Thursday and 47° on Friday!

But that's hard for me to do, I get a little OCD about clearing the driveway. I don't mind shoveling light to medium snow (lol, many times I just stay on top of it with a leaf blower!) but this heavy stuff really tears up my shoulder.

But I can't complain (well ...) and like you said, it was a winter that had some warm enough days that I sat out in the sun in the backyard with Cheech without a jacket! YOu remeber how that goes, after a cold spell, people come out in shorts and tees when it's in the 50s!

Beep, Beep, must get to the dump! =p

1678801308307.png

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
I'm a skier.
We received a dusting.
It melted.
I'm upset. :mad:

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
I'm a skier.
We received a dusting.
It melted.
I'm upset. :mad:
Grab a plane and come out to the Sierras, we seem to have an overabundance...

Last edited:

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
game publisher
Just to remind @AzScorpion of what he's missing.

It's perfect for snowballs and also perfect to throw my shoulder out just trying to clear it off the truck!

It's at 7" on the tonneau and I'm about to go do a snow thrower pass on the driveway, it's currently pretty awful for all my Ranger accessory deliveries! =D

IMG_20230314_155318567.jpg

IMG_20230314_155329459.jpg
Sponsored