Another newbie weight distribution hitch question...

Ranger300

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
parts
On reading the advice to purchase and use a weight distribution hitch (2019 Lariat w/tow) I ended up with a Reese 49912 Integrated Sway Control Weight Distribution kit.

I read cautions on different forums that you cannot backup with some WD hitches or it could damage your truck. My question is if I miscalculate a turn in traffic and have need to back up to correct would I need to unhook the bars before backing up? Which WDs would allow me to back up if these doesn't (the install instructions do not mention anything about backing up). I just don't need any surprises if a situation rises.

Thanks for your help
Sponsored

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
If you have a friction type hitch/sway control, you must disconnect the bars before backing, and turning while backing.
If backing in a straight line, your OK, but once you start to turn, you'll damage the attachment points on your trailer.
Regular hitch using the older "chain" type bar attachment allows backing without any problem
It looks like your Reese is the friction type, so, disconnect if backing and turning...like backing into an rv space.
Also, be aware, the Ranger has a sway control as part of the towing function. Your hitch also is a sway control, and you may find when towing, that they may work against each other. You can easily turn the trucks sway control off via the control buttons ...try with both in use, and with truck control off.

notsolinear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat
If you have a friction type hitch/sway control, you must disconnect the bars before backing, and turning while backing.
If backing in a straight line, your OK, but once you start to turn, you'll damage the attachment points on your trailer.
Regular hitch using the older "chain" type bar attachment allows backing without any problem
It looks like your Reese is the friction type, so, disconnect if backing and turning...like backing into an rv space.
Also, be aware, the Ranger has a sway control as part of the towing function. Your hitch also is a sway control, and you may find when towing, that they may work against each other. You can easily turn the trucks sway control off via the control buttons ...try with both in use, and with truck control off.
I’m not real familiar with other types of friction-based hitches, but I’m pretty sure my Blue Ox TrackPro would qualify as friction based and the manufacturer and dealership both state that backing up with them attached is fine. So my recommendation would be to look up what it says in the manual for any given model.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I have a couple additions/clarifications to what @Grumpaw has said. I have a Husky Centerline TS hitch, which has 4 point sway control and I have no issues with backing up with the distribution bars in place. Your Reese hitch has 2 point sway control, it uses the friction of the bars on the shelf brackets mounted on the trailer. My Husky also uses friction at the trunnion mounts at the hitch head, adjustable by the torque on the trunnion bolts. If a hitch requires any special considerations for backing up it will/should be in the installation/use instructions. The sway control in the hitch is intended to prevent sway from happening, the sway control function in the truck is intended to to help control sway when it happens. I personally have not experienced the two fighting each other. if your hitch is setup correctly and your trailer balanced properly, you should never see the truck sway control triggered.

Most of the hitches that use chains do not have built-in sway control and require a separate sway control bar. This is different from the distribution bars and is mounted separately between the draw bar and the trailer. This bar MUST be removed when backing up at any time.

This being said any time where extreme angles are involved you should remove your weight distribution bars no matter what hitch you have. also extreme turning angles by nature of the beast put extra stress on the distribution bars as well as tilt angles between the trailer and tow vehicle.

brroberts

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD SuperCab
Occupation
audio / semi retired
There is no problem backing up with me Equalizer 4 point friction sway control hitch with bars.

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
That Reese unit looks like an almost identical copy of the E2 Roundbar hitch that I use. The only caution they give is that you disconnect the bars before any steep transitions, IE Backing into a steep driveway.

I back mine into campsites all the time with no problems. I even back it into my driveway, which is pretty well-sloped. I'm sure it puts a little more stress on things, but I haven't noticed any problems thus far.

The bars aren't on there in this picture, but this is the slope of my driveway. I don't think I would leave them on if it were any steeper.

1694819999900.png

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
The bars aren't on there in this picture, but this is the slope of my driveway. I don't think I would leave them on if it were any steeper.

1694819999900.png
I agree with you on steep driveways. May driveway apron is about as mush dip as I would take with mine. The dips like you show are the hardest as the stress the bars more than normal. Humps actually take the load off the bars. Another reason to have the correct bars for your tongue weight and not too heavy.
Sponsored