annoying driveline sound at 70mph

Wolfman00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 fx4
so ive read through the threads, but they dont seem to have wvhat i got going on.

this started about two weeks ago.

stock rear (no icon springs at the moment)

at 71-74 mph i head a buzzing. no feeling in the seat or steering wheel.
tires are balanced and smooth.
acceleration i hear nothing, deceleration i hear nothing. just driving- i hear the whirling/roaring/buzzing.
pop in neutral- i still hear it.

any ideas where to isolate things?
go in dealer on monday for a dying battery (surprise surprise) and i might have them look at it but they will know i had other springs out back at some point.
so warranty on that is probably out.
Sponsored

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Some folks on here have reported their driveshaft centre bearing failing - might be worth checking. Do not call it a carrier bearing unless you have flameproof boxers. ?

OP
OP

Wolfman00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 fx4
tacomas are notorious for that.
i checked it, the rubber boot around it looks good, no rips. ill dive deeper in that.

ill toss some weight in the bed today, see if it changes it. that will at least tell me if its pinion angle.
it’s strange though, just started two weeks ago.

could it be something simple like a fender liner vibrating? that a thing?

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Loose roof trim, antennae mount, anything really. Some folks reported their side mirror covers howling - cupped their hand over while driving and “gone” - not sure if they just weren’t seated or how they remedied it.

You don’t have playing cards clothes-pinned in your spokes, do you? ;)

That boot may seem fine but there have been bearing failures reported when all looked “good”.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
so ive read through the threads, but they dont seem to have wvhat i got going on.

this started about two weeks ago.

stock rear (no icon springs at the moment)

at 71-74 mph i head a buzzing. no feeling in the seat or steering wheel.
tires are balanced and smooth.
acceleration i hear nothing, deceleration i hear nothing. just driving- i hear the whirling/roaring/buzzing.
pop in neutral- i still hear it.

any ideas where to isolate things?
go in dealer on monday for a dying battery (surprise surprise) and i might have them look at it but they will know i had other springs out back at some point.
so warranty on that is probably out.
Hi WM00,

If D/S....likely center bearing... However, there is usually some vibration sensation... Buy a mechanics Stethoscope and discard the diaphragm and steel rod...you now have a very directional device...have a passenger search for the noise...the stethoscope will direct you to the vicinity of the source of the buzz.... Cheap and very effective...

Best,
Phil

Muddy Fenders

Banned
Banned
First Name
Judd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
A work joke went around for awhile when some clown put a tie-wrap around a driveshaft so the long end would clickity clack as it rotated.
funny for a bit, but he just kept doing it, over and over. New employees were a prime target, but it got tiring the third of fourth time he's do it to the same guy. Nothing to do with your problem, but its a good story to tell.

Beyond the other suggestions, you may have a torque converter shudder???

As well the 10R80 has a whine noise that Ford has determined to be a non issue. Higher RPMs in park can confirm if this is the noise you hear on the highway. It may have been tied to the rear bearing of the transmission, but again, they've done nothing about it, they says it's normal

OP
OP

Wolfman00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 fx4
A work joke went around for awhile when some clown put a tie-wrap around a driveshaft so the long end would clickity clack as it rotated.
funny for a bit, but he just kept doing it, over and over. New employees were a prime target, but it got tiring the third of fourth time he's do it to the same guy. Nothing to do with your problem, but its a good story to tell.

Beyond the other suggestions, you may have a torque converter shudder???

As well the 10R80 has a whine noise that Ford has determined to be a non issue. Higher RPMs in park can confirm if this is the noise you hear on the highway. It may have been tied to the rear bearing of the transmission, but again, they've done nothing about it, they says it's normal
thats pretty good, ill have to do that to my brother.
i put two 50lb bags of stone dust in the bed, ill know later if the noise continues

OP
OP

Wolfman00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 fx4
so what are the chances that at those given speeds it would be my bakflip tonneau vibrating. i stood it up against the cab and went down the highway. didn’t hear a thing other than normal road noise. so…hahaha

i may or may not be going nuts.

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
65 YO Juvenile Delinquent
Hi WM00,

If D/S....likely center bearing... However, there is usually some vibration sensation... Buy a mechanics Stethoscope and discard the diaphragm and steel rod...you now have a very directional device...have a passenger search for the noise...the stethoscope will direct you to the vicinity of the source of the buzz.... Cheap and very effective...

Best,
Phil
Dang Phil, your old school is showing ?

OP
OP

Wolfman00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 fx4
im gonna look at the tires next. seems like road noise, but at a specific speed

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
could it just be that speed is sorta the harmonic peak of the tires and they sing until the speed goes above or below? my tires have a couple of speeds where they talk to me a lil bit but anything above or under those and they are silent -ish.

OP
OP

Wolfman00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 fx4
could it just be that speed is sorta the harmonic peak of the tires and they sing until the speed goes above or below? my tires have a couple of speeds where they talk to me a lil bit but anything above or under those and they are silent -ish.
what tires you have ? talk to me goose
Sponsored