Android Auto Unusable for Everyone?

Calmdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 tri-pearl white
Occupation
IT Technician
I've noticed my phone volume is incredibly low when talking on Android Auto; it also seems to be somewhat content at using as much bandwidth as I can squeeze out of a 4G tower. That, the lack of search function for two key apps (Amazon Music and Spotify). But the phone volume is a strange beast. Seems like it starts low, then ramps up to normal. Galaxy S8.
Sponsored

OP
OP
adamodonnell

adamodonnell

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Analytics Engineer
I can confirm that even with the right cable you still have to plug the phone in before you start the car. Otherwise the radio or whatever the backup audio source is will play over Android Auto. Even more weird, if you hit the voice command button you'll hear the AA audio while in command mode. But as soon as it's done it goes back to the other source. Turn off the car, unplug, replug and then restart the car and it's fine. Gotta love technology.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I can confirm that even with the right cable you still have to plug the phone in before you start the car. Otherwise the radio or whatever the backup audio source is will play over Android Auto. Even more weird, if you hit the voice command button you'll hear the AA audio while in command mode. But as soon as it's done it goes back to the other source. Turn off the car, unplug, replug and then restart the car and it's fine. Gotta love technology.
Mine doesn't do this.

I can plug my phone in at any time and it works fine.

Edit: I just thought of something that may make a difference. I have my Android Auto settings in the truck set to NOT automatically launch AA. The default is automatic. When I plug my phone in I get an Android Auto option on the bottom of the screen but it doesn't launch by itself. I can launch it any time and it runs fine.

Last edited:

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I've been using Android Auto since I bought my truck in Jan and its worked great. I use Spotify, Waze, Audible, etc... The only issue I have seen is when it updates it seems to go back to Google Maps instead of Waze. I'm using an S10.
Same here but I upgraded to 3.4. NO problem with BT anymore. THE phone HAS to be connected to the front USB ports. I use Waze on the phone along with the native nav in the truck...perfect marriage,

Nick Barber

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat, FX4, White Platinum, Chrome, Tow
Occupation
Program Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Pixel 3a, $3 USB purchased at Big Lots. No problems.

SteamiestOyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Your AA experience will vary greatly based on what phone you have. I have a Google Pixel and I would say in conjunction with Sync 3 it has been the best AA experience I've had in any car. I never need to pick up my phone while driving to do anything. Sending texts, making calls, looking up directions, making reservations all done effortlessly and hands-free.

I would also say that the one service I got that GREATLY makes AA worth it is YouTube PREMIUM. I don't think there is a single song in existence that doesn't exist on YouTube. So if you have a premium subscription from YouTube you can request any song and it will play on YouTube music. Unlike Pandora or Spotify which if they don't have the license for a particular song they will just play something they think is similar

lawrench

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4 Lightning Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I'm only 2 days into my 2020 Ranger XLT ownership and I'm ready to stick a fork in Android Auto. It's pretty well unusable. Screen isn't responsive, and almost nothing plays without spending several minutes to turn it on and off and ultimately get it playing using the phone instead of the truck screw.

Tried Amazon Music, Google Play Music and Spotify. All of them have similar issues. Google Podcasts has problems too but might be a touch better than the others.

Before I give up on it I was just curious if others are using it fine and whether there's anything I can to do to correct.

I'm on Sync 3, version 3.4, build 19200.
What I dislike about AA is that only the native apps work. I have MyQ for my garage door, and it does not show up on the sync system. i would like to use it instead of keeping a remote in my truck.

Berk84

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I'm only 2 days into my 2020 Ranger XLT ownership and I'm ready to stick a fork in Android Auto. It's pretty well unusable. Screen isn't responsive, and almost nothing plays without spending several minutes to turn it on and off and ultimately get it playing using the phone instead of the truck screw.

Tried Amazon Music, Google Play Music and Spotify. All of them have similar issues. Google Podcasts has problems too but might be a touch better than the others.

Before I give up on it I was just curious if others are using it fine and whether there's anything I can to do to correct.

I'm on Sync 3, version 3.4, build 19200.
Seems like a re-install might help. I've been using Android auto for quite a while and only have an issue with incomming phone calls. Flip to speaker then back and it works fine.

SteamiestOyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
What I dislike about AA is that only the native apps work. I have MyQ for my garage door, and it does not show up on the sync system. i would like to use it instead of keeping a remote in my truck.
Android Auto is just an interface to your phone. If your phone can do it, Android Auto can do it. The presence of the actual icon on the display has nothing to do with Android Auto. It just means the developer of the app did not build in Android Auto compatibility.

I also have a MyQ garage door opener and normally you would just say "Hey Google, tell MyQ to open my garage door." But the MyQ app has actually disabled voice opening. You can still use voice to close it though

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Android Auto is just an interface to your phone. If your phone can do it, Android Auto can do it. The presence of the actual icon on the display has nothing to do with Android Auto. It just means the developer of the app did not build in Android Auto compatibility.
Yes and no. There are rules and approvals needed to enable Android auto in an app, and not all types of apps qualify. This isn't just Google being arbitrary, it's what allows you to use AA apps when using a phone in the car is illegal.

OP
OP
adamodonnell

adamodonnell

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Analytics Engineer
Seems like a re-install might help. I've been using Android auto for quite a while and only have an issue with incomming phone calls. Flip to speaker then back and it works fine.
Can't uninstall or reinstall with Android 10. Just built in.

MannyS

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Seems like a re-install might help. I've been using Android auto for quite a while and only have an issue with incoming phone calls. Flip to speaker then back and it works fine.
I have that same problem. Other than that I love it.

Berk84

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Can't uninstall or reinstall with Android 10. Just built in.
Good point, I know on some of the Android forums i follow they have released big fixes over the last month or 2 for auto. Hopefully one of those solves your issue.

PAUL J CAIN

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x2
Google pixel 4 and flawless operation at all times .If it was my phone causing an issue and given the choice of buying another truck or another phone I know the route I would go. JS

OP
OP
adamodonnell

adamodonnell

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Analytics Engineer
Google pixel 4 and flawless operation at all times .If it was my phone causing an issue and given the choice of buying another truck or another phone I know the route I would go. JS
Well, sure. ? But I just got the phone a few weeks ago and at this point I'm not sure I'd drop another $800-1000 just to fix the issue of having to plug in my phone first. It's annoying but not that annoying. Think I'll wait and see if they fix it.
Sponsored