Amp Research Power Steps

BButah

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4 (Saber)

Amp research power step running boards are now available on their site just ordered mine
Richard,
If/when possible, please post pictures and install details.
Thanks!
?

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Hey Pete,
If/when possible, please post pictures and install details.
Thanks!
?
Will do.
I printed a new copy of installation paperwork from their site. I had asked a few konths back if they would update and add more details on wiring. Since they had time with delay in release. Will check and compare to an older copy.

TexasTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT CC
Vehicle Showcase
I have been waiting for the release of these PowerSteps as well. The website currently states: "Out of Stock"?

After seeing the photo's on DAWGSLAW (BTW - Sweet Truck!) I'm surprised that the step is up so far up on the lower rocker in the closed position? Maybe that is adjustable via the mounting brackets?

Am I mistaken?
I have to say I wasn't thrilled about how much the board shows along the rocker when it's retracted. On my F150 and Dodge, they tuck way under the rocker, up and away and are almost completely hidden. Once I got going on the install on my Ranger though, I quickly realized why the board shows like it does, there is barely enough space between the body and the frame; no room to tuck it anywhere with the board hinges have to retract somewhere....... My truck is silver and the boards are black. Now that I've had them a few weeks, I like the silver/black contrast. I suppose you could have the boards paint to match the body color if you wanted.

TexasTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT CC
Vehicle Showcase
The last vehicles I owned, (F-250 & F-150) the AMP power steps retracted underneath and mostly out of sight. It seems the ranger AMP power steps are more visible while retracted (which could be a good thing to deflect road debris), but I personally think they show too much and look a little out of place while retracted. Maybe seeing them in person will change my mind.
They do show a lot more than the full sized trucks, but I got used to it. I probably have the worse color (next to white), silver and with the black boards, you really see them. I gotta say though, that they look alright and go with the truck IMO......

TexasTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT CC
Vehicle Showcase
While I wait for them to offer for sale to common people, what I would like is more details on is regarding Install. I have read the instructions, but they are vague on wire routing. I asked since they have time would they add to the instructions (asked in December).

Where is the hole drilled on driver side for wiring?
Where did the wires get attached and run under the truck. How do they run in the engine and any Wiring hook up point pictures. All of this would be great. No rush as sounds like public sales are 2 weeks out unless they reply to my email with your their info. Hard to give people money. One would think in these times they would roll out the red carpet. Thanks.
Hey Sandman..... Most installs vary, but I tried to follow the AMP instructions as much as possible. Even still, I had to use some trial and error on the wire routing.

Where is the hole drilled on driver side for wiring? From underneath the truck, on the drivers side, right about in line with the door hinge about 14 to 16", on the driveshaft side of the frame, you'll notice an oval rubber body plug. The reason I put the hole here is there is a curve in the floor pan where the carpet doesn't sit flat and creates a bit of a gap that allows the wiring to have a more gentle bend in it under the carpet.

1587761742934.png

Where did the wires get attached and run under the truck? I started my wire runs at the battery. I mounted the controller to the front of the batter using zip ties. Look at your controller and the front of the battery and compare, you will see there's a logical place to attach it; to the positive cable.

1587762435036.png

Here's the AMP controller positive connection with supplied fuse...

1587762736563.png

You will notice two wire looms, one longer than the other. The shorter run goes on the drivers side, the longer on the passenger side (I know this is obvious :) ).

1587763078712.png

On the passenger side, pay close attention to the exhaust plumbing. Again, just study the path and keep the wire loom as straight as possible as you route the loom from the top to the bottom.

The instructions I got with the steps are not very good at explaining the wire routes, so just use common sense, keep the wires away from sharp object that can fray the loom and cut the wires and route them as straight as possible. I say this because on the passenger side, I almost didn't have enough length to reach the motor.

I hope this helps and when you get your steps, if you have any questions, please ask.

BButah

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have to say I wasn't thrilled about how much the board shows along the rocker when it's retracted. On my F150 and Dodge, they tuck way under the rocker, up and away and are almost completely hidden. Once I got going on the install on my Ranger though, I quickly realized why the board shows like it does, there is barely enough space between the body and the frame; no room to tuck it anywhere with the board hinges have to retract somewhere....... My truck is silver and the boards are black. Now that I've had them a few weeks, I like the silver/black contrast. I suppose you could have the boards paint to match the body color if you wanted.
Howdy TT!
I don't suppose you could snap a few side-view photos to show the boards deployed and retracted? I currently have Westin HDX Stainless Drop Steps that I have powder-coated to match the Magnetic Sport Trim. I'm just not a fan of anything on the side of the truck and just looking to see how/if the AMP Powerstep Boards blend into/along side the rocker panels.
Thanks in advance for any pic's and thanks for all the info in your posts!
Cheers!
:like:

BButah

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
These are what I have for now. If you want to see something else shoot me a message and I’ll be happy to get one for you.

72CECF51-9E91-4575-86D4-2E1712FC1D5D.jpeg

6356709B-54DD-4862-B156-1350D283F0F0.jpeg

75962783-BBDD-43AE-A882-8519BA08AADC.jpeg

BFB67287-69CB-4D04-950B-EF05D930FFEB.jpeg
Hey Tye!
From the pic's, it looks like the AMP Boards fit perfectly with your fender flares!
My truck is Saber with the Sport Trim (Magnetic). I was hoping the steps retracted more under the rocker. I'm debating on how the black will look against the Saber color with the Magnetic trim..... but yours looks Bitchin'!
:like:

BButah

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After much deliberation…. I decided to finally get a set of the AMP Research PowerSteps for my Ranger.

With apologies to fellow 5G member Phil Schilke…. here’s “a bit of a backstory”:
When I first got the Ranger, I really didn’t want any sidesteps/bars at all. I prefer a nice clean look. However, when I watched my Wife and Mother-in-law struggle to get into the truck in their church dresses, I knew I had to do something. (My Wife INSISTED!)

The AMP PowerSteps were not available yet and they said it was going to be months before their release. So I opted for the Westin HDX Stainless Drop Steps. I had them powder coated metallic-grey to match the Sport Trim.

When the PowerStep were finally released this year, I followed Josh Mills thread on his install as well as Pete/Sandman Ranger. Both posts/threads were VERY helpful!

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/sandman-ranger-build.3383/post-130876

I decided to pull the trigger and ordered the PowerSteps from Electricstep.com. They are considered “the official authorized in-stock shipping center” for AMP Research. I found a 10% discount code online, no sales tax and free shipping out of CA.

They were shipped on a Thursday and I received them the following Monday…. Outstanding service!

Now onto the install which could be best categorized as “The Good, The Bad and The Ugly”!

First, “The Ugly”:

IMG_7253.jpeg

As you can see by the above picture, one of the front idler linkage assembly was completely destroyed during manufacturing! I’m pretty sure this piece is billet aluminum and during the pressing of the hinge-pins, something obviously did not line up! How the heck did that piece make through any sort of QA/QC? Now I’m wondering about everything else, right?

I call AMP Research and attempt to explain the situation over the phone. The customer service guy is frustrated and not getting it, so I email him the picture. He says “whoa, how’d THAT happen”?!!!

He tells me “we have to make that part and we should be able to get that done by the end of the week”. At the end of the week, I call back and they tell me the production line was tied up and my part should be shipped next week.

Now I have nearly 2 weeks for my install, so I just take my time with all the wiring, etc.

Moving on to “The Bad”:

I ordered the optional Open OBD Port Splitter. The idea is to have a “pass-thru-harness” that attaches to the OEM port and then leaves you with an “open new port” that replaces the original port.

IMG_7249.jpeg

As you can see in the photo above, the port mounting is not even close! (the OEM plug is on top in the pic)

Oh well, the concept was good…. but the execution by AMP Research very poor. I call electricsteps.com to get a credit and send back the part. I spoke with “Ray” and he was outstanding! I sent him the picture and he totally got the problem. He said that with most vehicles, the new OBD port is just screwed into the bottom of the dash. I thought that really defeated the purpose and I was not drilling any holes into a brand new dash.

So much for “Plug & Play”, eh? Ray then said he was going to credit my card and told me to keep the port splitter just in case I decide to use it and tuck the port up and under my dash if/when I need to access the OBD port.

Again, outstanding customer service by Ray and electricsteps.com and I would HIGHLY recommend them to anyone!

More “BAD":

The LED lights that come with the PowerSteps are not that great. In my opinion, they do not put out enough light and they are not a “bright white”. So I replaced them with the LUX Lighting MAX White LED Rock Lights:
https://luxlightingsystems.com

IMG_7329.jpeg

IMG_7328.jpeg

IMG_7323.jpeg

These LED’s are absolutely BULLETPROOF! They are 100% sealed, magnetic (mount anywhere & no drilling!) and crazy-bright! If anyone is looking for the best LED’s available; for any sort of lighting needs, IMHO you will not find anything better! (if you decide to buy anything on the LUX website, use the codes JEEPMOMMA and/or RAMBEAST15 for 15% off)

Finally “The Good”!

The quality, construction (with the exceptions noted above) fit & finish of the PowerSteps is great. The install was pretty straight forward, although I had to work around waiting for the defective idler linkage. I took my time wiring and did not want to drill a hole through the floorboard for the trigger-wires as the instructions directed. I wondered why you couldn’t just pull the trigger wires from the assembled harnesses and run them through the firewall up front?

I found a post by Rob Ranger/Raptor with a very detailed write up and photos on the best way of getting thru the firewall:
Lightforce Switch Fascia and Wiring Thru Firewall:
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/lightforce-switch-fascia-and-wiring-thru-firewall.7826/

I picked up the wire insertion tool from O’Reilly and it worked perfectly!

Wire Insertion Tool - O'Reilly Auto Parts.png

I pushed the tool through the rubber grommet in the firewall just as Rob indicated and then used some 18g solid wire as the lead wire to pull the 2 trigger wires back into the cab.

IMG_7234.jpeg

Now the wires are right next to the OBD port and it was easy to tap the wires and get everything all secured/tucked under the dash. (No drilling holes and messing with carpet, floor/side panels, etc.

Overall, I am very happy with the final outcome. The steps retract more to the side rather than under the rocker panel. They do hide the pinch weld area and will keep the rock chips to a minimum. It’s also nice to have a full-length, wide step platform as opposed to the drop-step area on the Westin HDX steps.

IMG_7340.jpeg

IMG_7326.jpeg

IMG_7331.jpeg

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I had all but convinced myself that I would be perfectly happy with the factory running boards, but last week we rented an Expedition for a family road trip, and I pretty much loved the power running boards on that thing. (I don't know if they were made by Amp, but my wife liked them more than the stock running boards on my truck as well). So, I'm back to looking into the Amp Powerstep.

One question I still have: My biggest gripe with the factory running boards is that when I step up on them, then I have to duck down quite a bit to get into the cab... if they were mounted about 2" lower, I'd be happier with them. From the videos and photos I've seen of deployed power steps, they *appear* to wind up being just a bit lower than the factory running boards, but I wanted to find out for sure. I took this picture this morning on my truck - would someone who has them installed on their Ranger mind taking the same measurement on yours, and let me know what the measurement is? I'm interested in knowing the vertical distance down from the outermost part of the lower rocker panel to the top of the running board. In this picture, that's 4".

Thanks!

IMG_4204.jpg

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I had all but convinced myself that I would be perfectly happy with the factory running boards, but last week we rented an Expedition for a family road trip, and I pretty much loved the power running boards on that thing. (I don't know if they were made by Amp, but my wife liked them more than the stock running boards on my truck as well). So, I'm back to looking into the Amp Powerstep.

One question I still have: My biggest gripe with the factory running boards is that when I step up on them, then I have to duck down quite a bit to get into the cab... if they were mounted about 2" lower, I'd be happier with them. From the videos and photos I've seen of deployed power steps, they *appear* to wind up being just a bit lower than the factory running boards, but I wanted to find out for sure. I took this picture this morning on my truck - would someone who has them installed on their Ranger mind taking the same measurement on yours, and let me know what the measurement is? I'm interested in knowing the vertical distance down from the outermost part of the lower rocker panel to the top of the running board. In this picture, that's 4".

Thanks!

IMG_4204.jpg
Hi Kimball,

I will give you a back story on step bars at Ford.... We launched the Ford Ranger Edge, a 4x2 on a 4x4 chassis. One of the features was factory step bars. Our first real venture into step bars...there was the assembly plant install mess, but before we got that far....the Ford Attorneys got involved. They researched lawsuits relative to step bars...their findings was if there was room that a person using the step bar could slip his/her foot between the rocker and the step bar and loose their balance, it snapped their ankle in half. Not a desirable result so the design on Edge was to prevent this from happening by raising the step surface of the step bar. Something I never thought of on the Edge program. And so it was and apparently still is. When we launched Edge at Edison, the Plant Manager absolutely hated the step bar and she mightly tried to scuttle it because she had to high step due to being quite short. She failed. So the lawyers won this one, but the Edge sold well and as much as I held the lawyers as a PITA, I agreed with this ruling.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I will give you a back story on step bars at Ford....
Thanks for the back story, Phil! I'll definitely keep that in mind when deciding on whether to go with the Amp power bars or not. I don't want any broken ankles....

BButah

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Thanks!

IMG_4204.jpg
Hey Kimball!

So far I’m loving the PowerSteps! No broken ankle.... yet! Phil’s backstory was CRAZY! I figure if you bust your ankle in half getting into your truck.... you probably shouldn’t be driving in the first place! ?

As to your question on the drop distance.... that is probably the biggest feature I (my Wife) loves! Here is a picture from close to the same angle as yours:

10835CE0-6B9A-4376-94E4-F24A52A6407C.jpeg

As you can see, it drops 4-5” lower than your stock step. I’m 5’-9” and have never bashed my head.... Yet!

Hope this helps?
Cheers!

Rmblaster

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Phil liked your back story but i guess they got rid of the Ford Attorneys because on my 2012 and 2013 F150s they came with the lower power boards which i believe they were made by Amp i just wished ford would have included them on my Ranger to save me the install time

Richard
Sponsored