First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
trucks have digital logs an drivers have restrictions on how many hours they can drive in a period an mandatory rest periods.
There are exceptions to the digital logs so not everyone is required to use them. And part of the COVID relief package has an exemption for hours of service if they are hauling certain products, cleaning supplies, food, livestock, etc. And the industry is hurting for drivers. Not uncommon to have a driver with two months experience training
Sponsored

Hack_Actual

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
This is in no way a defense of this driver or his reckless driving behavior; I do, however believe its indicative of a larger problem facing our country - skilled labor. The trucking industry, by most accounts is down in numbers, specifically long-haul truckers. No one wants to go to a trade school or get a certification anymore - most are chasing that piece of paper that they feel gives them self-worth.

Supply and demand hasn't gone down and, if anything, has risen in the face of this plandemic. So, while the country needs supplies, those moving the supplies are being pressured by companies to move the supply and doing so with less manpower and less rest; It's a vicious cycle.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
There was a UPS truck crash east of Roswell, NM a few days ago. No video, but the drive blamed the crash on the heavy rain-fall. Truth is, he was texting or so the NMSP ascertained, after looking at his cellphone. When will they ever learn?

Gary J

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat
The focus should be on the driver not Amazon.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
The focus should be on the driver not Amazon.
True.....but when my brother did OTR driving the company would assign him loads an it was obivious he couldn't follow the driving regulations an make the deadline. They would push an harass drivers to "figure out a way to make it". If you violate the rules, something like only driving 10 or 12 hours in a 14 hour period an a mandatory 8 hour break, do they come down on the driver or the company pushing them to do it?

Gary J

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat
True.....but when my brother did OTR driving the company would assign him loads an it was obivious he couldn't follow the driving regulations an make the deadline. They would push an harass drivers to "figure out a way to make it". If you violate the rules, something like only driving 10 or 12 hours in a 14 hour period an a mandatory 8 hour break, do they come down on the driver or the company pushing them to do it?
Back it up with the actual rules not guesses and one off anecdotes.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
As a group semi drivers have the biggest egos about their driving skills. And as a group semi drivers are the worst and most dangerous drivers on the road.
While I'll give you that many are not to the level they should be, 90% of private/personal drivers are 10 steps worse than your average commercial driver.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
So you have a front camera and a rear camera? Been thinking about a rear one.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
As a group semi drivers have the biggest egos about their driving skills. And as a group semi drivers are the worst and most dangerous drivers on the road.
I"d be very surprised if that was borne out statistically, given the sheer number of miles driven per driver per year. That said, when a trucker makes a mistake we all know that it is going to be spectacularly bad...and that's a shame because when a truck wrecks, nobody wins.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Security Supervisor
no, amazon is responsible for its employees.
whether its safety on the floor, or safety on the road.

100% they would be liable if this driver caused an accident.
I don't think so, as that's a subcontractor tractor pulling the Amazon trailer. Either that contractor personally (if it's a one-man deal) or the subcontracting company will be liable for damages done.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Security Supervisor
I'm not a lawyer, and my understanding of things tends toward the simple side.
I remember that as an Independent trucker leased to Landstar (one truck only) we did trip leases for UPS during Christmastime. Landstar was responsible for us as drivers and the UPS trailers we pulled, so if things went sideways it wasn't UPS's problem to solve, it was Landstar's (and , by extension, mine).

Perhaps those of you with legal experience can translate some of the following. My understanding is the responsibility lies with the motor carrier, not the shipper (in this case, Amazon).
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/376.12

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Security Supervisor
can you tell me how you know this? i dont think theres enough info in that video is there?
I stopped the video toward the end and can clearly see it's NOT the Amazon logo on the side of the tractor, but that of some other company. Now I can NOT see the name of the company in that circle logo, but the Amazon logo is what it is and we all recognize that when we see it.

I realize that's not much to go on, but it's the best answer I can give you for your specific question.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I'm not a lawyer, and my understanding of things tends toward the simple side.
I remember that as an Independent trucker leased to Landstar (one truck only) we did trip leases for UPS during Christmastime. Landstar was responsible for us as drivers and the UPS trailers we pulled, so if things went sideways it wasn't UPS's problem to solve, it was Landstar's (and , by extension, mine).

Perhaps those of you with legal experience can translate some of the following. My understanding is the responsibility lies with the motor carrier, not the shipper (in this case, Amazon).
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/376.12
I'm not sure if it's different (not sure why it would be) in the trucking industry compared to the construction industry. I sub contracted a lot of work out ( tens of thousands of dollars every year) to other companies and I know if/when anything went wrong the GC would come to me first as I'm the one they hired.

Now I was lucky that they were never anything major but I still had to deal with the headaches of getting the subs back there to fix things and in the end I was responsible because they hired me not the sub. If they didn't it would've been my butt on the line.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet