alignment specs after leveling

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I leveled a bit ago, love everything about it, except the look head on. The tires are not straight. I asked when I picked up after alignment and was told it was within specs. I bought it...
It was just the other day I'm seeing more wear on one tire, the one that doesn't look right. I dug out my receipt and on page 3, was the alignment readout. Wish I had seen it when I picked up because the camber on R/F was out of spec.

Fast forward to today. Took to a trustworthy shop and explained my story. I told him no hard feelings if you find you can't align it. Well, they couldn't, told me they couldn't find specs. Not sure if leveling brings on new specs or not.

My question is this, for those of you who did the 2.5" level kit on front, what did the shop use for specs? I'd be interested to see how it stacks up to the original I had done. Here are mine. 2019 Lariat 4x4

Camber min -.72* max + .78* final +.24*R .71*L
Caster min 1.72* max 3.22* final +2.94*R 3.26*L
Toe min -.10* max +.10* final .00*R .05*L
Thrust Angle min -.50* max +.50* final -.04*
Sponsored

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
2020 Lariat FX4. Dealer aligned after they installed our Ford/Fox 2.0 level kit and Toyo Open Country AT3 LT265/70R17 E tires.

Image 043.png

OP
OP

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
2020 Lariat FX4. Dealer aligned after they installed our Ford/Fox 2.0 level kit and Toyo Open Country AT3 LT265/70R17 E tires.

Image 043.png
Thanks, do you have the parameters? Yours would fall out of some of the parameters my dealership used.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I leveled a bit ago, love everything about it, except the look head on. The tires are not straight. I asked when I picked up after alignment and was told it was within specs. I bought it...
It was just the other day I'm seeing more wear on one tire, the one that doesn't look right. I dug out my receipt and on page 3, was the alignment readout. Wish I had seen it when I picked up because the camber on R/F was out of spec.

Fast forward to today. Took to a trustworthy shop and explained my story. I told him no hard feelings if you find you can't align it. Well, they couldn't, told me they couldn't find specs. Not sure if leveling brings on new specs or not.

My question is this, for those of you who did the 2.5" level kit on front, what did the shop use for specs? I'd be interested to see how it stacks up to the original I had done. Here are mine. 2019 Lariat 4x4

Camber min -.72* max + .78* final +.24*R .71*L
Caster min 1.72* max 3.22* final +2.94*R 3.26*L
Toe min -.10* max +.10* final .00*R .05*L
Thrust Angle min -.50* max +.50* final -.04*
Hi M

Just have the shop match the right side to the left side for caster. Left is good, so just reduce the Right if they can or make the left match the right. Just get rid of the caster split and you should be in good shape.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Hi M

Just have the shop match the right side to the left side for caster. Left is good, so just reduce the Right if they can or make the left match the right. Just get rid of the caster split and you should be in good shape.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Wouldn't the camber split be a cause for concern as well?

Depending on the castor correction it may fall into line a bit but for now it's .5 degrees off.

Reactions: Doc

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Wouldn't the camber split be a cause for concern as well?

Depending on the castor correction it may fall into line a bit but for now it's .5 degrees off.
Hi Doug,

If they can correct the camber it would be great and from Ranger Rocks data sheet, it should be possible.

Camber split will likely come in, but the camber is within spec for both wheels and is not where his problem is in my Opinion.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Hi Doug,

If they can correct the camber it would be great and from Ranger Rocks data sheet, it should be possible.

Camber split will likely come in, but the camber is within spec for both wheels and is not where his problem is in my Opinion.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Makes sense.

My suspension knowledge, like most of what I know, falls in the "enough to be dangerous" category.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Makes sense.

My suspension knowledge, like most of what I know, falls in the "enough to be dangerous" category.
Hi Doug,

I did the suspension on the F150 Nite package, The Lightening F150, all skunk works and after hours. I learned a lot about suspensions building my race cars and applied the knowledge along with light springs and big sway bars... Counter to the standard Ford philosophy. I found camber split was not critical, but caster split was key. Infact in my NASCAR team engineer days, we used caster split to improve oval handling to get the chassis to turn in to the turns.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Hi Doug,

I did the suspension on the F150 Nite package, The Lightening F150, all skunk works and after hours. I learned a lot about suspensions building my race cars and applied the knowledge along with light springs and big sway bars... Counter to the standard Ford philosophy. I found camber split was not critical, but caster split was key. Infact in my NASCAR team engineer days, we used caster split to improve oval handling to get the chassis to turn in to the turns.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
My suspension background is simple road cars with modified suspensions for SCCA autoX, and kart sprint racing. While I only did my own alignment on my karts, splits were kept to the minimum for all settings on both.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My suspension background is simple road cars with modified suspensions for SCCA autoX, and kart sprint racing. While I only did my own alignment on my karts, splits were kept to the minimum for all settings on both.
Hi Doug,

When I quit racing and converted the Super Vee to A Mod at the time, I was the only A mod out of between 130 to 160 cars. Yeah...I won a trophy just for showing up...however setting FTD time after time was satisfying. Car was SUPER quick if driven properly.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Hi Doug,

When I quit racing and converted the Super Vee to A Mod at the time, I was the only A mod out of between 130 to 160 cars. Yeah...I won a trophy just for showing up...however setting FTD time after time was satisfying. Car was SUPER quick if driven properly.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I've seen you mention your Super Vee exploits before. Nice resume!

Been almost 15 yrs since I've done it. But I think I might get my 15 year old entered in an event or 2 with my FiST as a part of her driving lessons. After she gets more proficient with a clutch.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Hi Doug,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Phil,
Here’s my alignment sheet after Freekride suspension change..This is from Precision Auto Works in Live Oak Fla.
He set the Castor the same as his Race Car…
Regards
Doc

DCCB4B3B-A0CE-4874-ACC2-9BE051415078.jpeg

DDC08E66-3DEF-40F3-ABBA-82A39E076BA5.jpeg

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Phil,
Here’s my alignment sheet after Freekride suspension change..This is from Precision Auto Works in Live Oak Fla.
He set the Castor the same as his Race Car…
Regards
Doc

DCCB4B3B-A0CE-4874-ACC2-9BE051415078.jpeg

DDC08E66-3DEF-40F3-ABBA-82A39E076BA5.jpeg
Hi Doc,

4° is fine...5° is a bit much. However, a 1° caster split is not good IMO. Surprised you are not feeling a pulling to the left...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Hi Doc,

4° is fine...5° is a bit much. However, a 1° caster split is not good IMO. Surprised you are not feeling a pulling to the left...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks,
It drives straight down the road with no hands on the wheel and braking as well…He had to make adjustments do to wonky installation..
Regards
Doc
Sponsored