Alignment question

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
Most tire shops want to sell you an alignment when you replace your tires because fixing alignment is a service item. As your suspension and steering system wears you may need to straighten everything out.
Getting the tires changed is just a good time to check alignment and will ensure maximum performance and life for the new tires.
If you just recently had your truck aligned with a lift kit install you shouldn't need an alignment for new wheels and tires.
What if you got a new wheel/tire combo that is much larger in height/width than stock? I get my new wheel/tires installed by end of week and trying to decide if i need to pay for an alignment again.
Sponsored

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
You don’t need to have an alignment for just wheels and tires no.

Remember these are solid Axle leaf sprung trucks, you can pay for a 4 wheel alignment if you want but all they’re gonna be doing is “checking” the rears. They can literally make no changes to your back two wheels. The Leaf springs are in a fixed location and there’s a dowel pin that comes out of them that aligns in the rear end itself so it can’t move either.

66F100

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2WD XLT SCAB
Occupation
Lineman
What if you got a new wheel/tire combo that is much larger in height/width than stock? I get my new wheel/tires installed by end of week and trying to decide if i need to pay for an alignment again.
So, you already had an alignment done when you lifted/leveled? If so, how many miles have you driven since the alignment?

If it is less than 10,000 miles ago, I wouldn't bother getting another alignment. In theory you shouldn't need to get an alignment just to install new wheels and tires.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
You don’t need to have an alignment for just wheels and tires no.

Remember these are solid Axle leaf sprung trucks, you can pay for a 4 wheel alignment if you want but all they’re gonna be doing is “checking” the rears. They can literally make no changes to your back two wheels. The Leaf springs are in a fixed location and there’s a dowel pin that comes out of them that aligns in the rear end itself so it can’t move either.
The idea here is to set the front knowing where the back is. Better systems have clamp on sensors for the rear. That sets the base lines. The fronts get adjusted to that.

We all have Ford points for the most part. Use them for alignment at the dealer. Cheapest way out and depending on the dealer better equipment then most.
Sponsored