First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ranger5g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
I called to schedule my alignment after putting on new wheels and tires and was told they did not have the 2021 Ranger in their system. I said the 2019-2021 should all be the same, which they have a 2020, so they agreed to schedule it. They called back a minute later and said if it had lane departure, they would not be able to do it because the system needs to be recalibrated. I have done a recalibration using forscan before, so told him I could do it and it would not be an issue.

It got me thinking though. Why would an alignment cause the lane departure camera need to be recalibrated? Is there something in the auto steering correction, or somewhere else that needs to be calibrated and if so, can I do these calibrations with forscan?

I can take it to the dealer to be done if needed, but was hoping to get the lifetime alignment from Firestone if possible. I just don't want to cause problems in doing so.
Sponsored

Flowgod

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XL
Hmm that is strange. I have a 21' and have had 2 alignments done on it already (Lift and new wheels and tires). No issues when I went to have it done

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Sounds like they are giving excuses for not wanting to touch the truck cause it's not in the system. If you're set on having Firestone do it, try calling a different location and see what they say.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
What's the point of an alignment after tire change? Lift I get, but changing tires should in no way effect your alignment.

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
What's the point of an alignment after tire change? Lift I get, but changing tires should in no way effect your alignment.
This. Alignment wouldn’t change after changing wheels or tires that I’m aware of. If doing a lift or leveling kit I can see the need.

66F100

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2WD XLT SCAB
Occupation
Lineman
I called to schedule my alignment after putting on new wheels and tires and was told they did not have the 2021 Ranger in their system. I said the 2019-2021 should all be the same, which they have a 2020, so they agreed to schedule it. They called back a minute later and said if it had lane departure, they would not be able to do it because the system needs to be recalibrated. I have done a recalibration using forscan before, so told him I could do it and it would not be an issue.

It got me thinking though. Why would an alignment cause the lane departure camera need to be recalibrated? Is there something in the auto steering correction, or somewhere else that needs to be calibrated and if so, can I do these calibrations with forscan?

I can take it to the dealer to be done if needed, but was hoping to get the lifetime alignment from Firestone if possible. I just don't want to cause problems in doing so.
A mechanic I talked to said the same thing. This guy runs a part time repair shop at his home. He has done alot of work for me in the past and is definitely my go to for things beyond my skill set. He has always been a straight shooter but I wonder if this is a half ass excuse for not wanting to do the job.
I tried the lane departure once and didn't care for it. Would not mind if it wasn't perfectly operable.
Interested in this thread because I need to get an alignment after installing a Belltech lowering kit.

66F100

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2WD XLT SCAB
Occupation
Lineman
This. Alignment wouldn’t change after changing wheels or tires that I’m aware of. If doing a lift or leveling kit I can see the need.
Most tire shops want to sell you an alignment when you replace your tires because fixing alignment is a service item. As your suspension and steering system wears you may need to straighten everything out.
Getting the tires changed is just a good time to check alignment and will ensure maximum performance and life for the new tires.
If you just recently had your truck aligned with a lift kit install you shouldn't need an alignment for new wheels and tires.

OP
OP
Bludrok

Bludrok

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ranger5g.com
Vehicle(s)
I added a 2" level for the tires. However, I also went from +55 to -12 offset on my wheels and from 32" to 35" tires. After added the lift, the drivability was unchanged for the most part, but I would have gotten an alignment if I wasn't adding the wheels and tires couple of weeks after. I've only had the tires on for a few days and can definitely feel it needs an alignment now.

I appreciate the responses, everything you guys said it in line with what I was thinking, but wanted to check to be 100% sure.

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
I added a 2" level for the tires. However, I also went from +55 to -12 offset on my wheels and from 32" to 35" tires. After added the lift, the drivability was unchanged for the most part, but I would have gotten an alignment if I wasn't adding the wheels and tires couple of weeks after. I've only had the tires on for a few days and can definitely feel it needs an alignment now.

I appreciate the responses, everything you guys said it in line with what I was thinking, but wanted to check to be 100% sure.
Gotcha. When I installed my leveling struts I took it to Firestone for the alignment. They didn't give me any issues. They just put in the computer a 2020 Ranger. However, the alignment was not good. I took it to a professional alignment shop and they confirmed the alignment was crap. They tweaked it and my alignment was perfect after that. Went back to firestone and asked for a refund. Moral of the story, don't go to Firestone.

OP
OP
Bludrok

Bludrok

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ranger5g.com
Vehicle(s)
Gotcha. When I installed my leveling struts I took it to Firestone for the alignment. They didn't give me any issues. They just put in the computer a 2020 Ranger. However, the alignment was not good. I took it to a professional alignment shop and they confirmed the alignment was crap. They tweaked it and my alignment was perfect after that. Went back to firestone and asked for a refund. Moral of the story, don't go to Firestone.
Thank you. Glad I asked. :like:

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman

I gotcha. I figured you had already gotten an alignment after the lift.

HBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger

Same thing happened to me this past weekend when I took mine in to Firestone for an alignment. They basically gave me the same answer as you and said I'd have to go to the dealership.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
The dealership near me wanted $125 for an alignment. One tire chain "Mr Tire" made an appointment to do it. I showed up an they said it wasn't in their system so they couldn't do it. Another tire chain store "Conrad's" did it for $79. I would have preferred the dealer do it but it wasn't worth $45 to me. I thought about going to the dealership to talk to the service manager thinking they were quoting me a 4 wheel alignment when solid axle trucks only need a 2.

Adventure Ranger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariate Crew Cab FX4 Sport
Occupation
Heavy Equipment / Truck shop Foreman
Vehicle Showcase
I thought about going to the dealership to talk to the service manager thinking they were quoting me a 4 wheel alignment when solid axle trucks only need a 2.
Should always get a 4 wheel alignment, its the only way to account for "Thrust Angle" and ensure the vehicle actually tracks perfectly straight. I've aligned many vehicles that just had 2 wheel alignments done prior and still go crooked down the road because of this. A 4 wheel alignment starts at the rear and makes sure its centered and square to the chassis, then the front end can be properly aligned.
1630006532714.png

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Should always get a 4 wheel alignment, its the only way to account for "Thrust Angle" and ensure the vehicle actually tracks perfectly straight. I've aligned many vehicles that just had 2 wheel alignments done prior and still go crooked down the road because of this. A 4 wheel alignment starts at the rear and makes sure its centered and square to the chassis, then the front end can be properly aligned.
1630006532714.png
I only did the fronts since the rear wasn't changed only the front leveling struts changed anything. I've never had a 4 wheel one a truck EVER but I've never had a modified suspension on one either.
Sponsored