Adding lariat mirrors to an xlt

Virtualdanno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, so since I already ordered the single mirror for testing, I went ahead and pried off the speaker covering to see what is currently there.
This is what I ordered, it has BLIS, puddle, folding, signal and I presume it has heating.
s-l1600.jpg

Here is what my mirror has, XLT with power fold and BLIS
unnamed (2).jpg

Here are the different sides of my plug.
unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed (3).jpg

So it looks like the one I am buying has a fully populated pinout, but my harness has 2,3,4 and 10 missing. Where can we get a pinout for this harness, anybody?
Sponsored

theanswer3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
Vehicle Showcase
I bet that harness
Ok, so since I already ordered the single mirror for testing, I went ahead and pried off the speaker covering to see what is currently there.
This is what I ordered, it has BLIS, puddle, folding, signal and I presume it has heating.
s-l1600.jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed (3).jpg

So it looks like the one I am buying has a fully populated pinout, but my harness has 2,3,4 and 10 missing. Where can we get a pinout for this harness, anybody?
I bet that harness you have connects somewhere into the door where all the wires will be there already. It would cost them too much to provide totally different vehicles, especially since ford is huge on recycling parts into all different vehicles. So I bet if you follow that mirror harness back into the door where it connects you will find all the wires there. then you buy the correct harness and boom everything works.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
The Lariat side mirrors do have heating, powered off of the rear window heat circuit.
Ditto all the wiring should be in the door, but if it isn't I never posted this.
devil grin.jpeg

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
s-l1600.jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed (3).jpg

Hi Danno,

I tried to pull up the wiring on my DVD shop manual, but for some reason it is not working....will try again today. There is a chart called Power Mirror and this should help you if I can get the little ones and zeros to cooperate.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Virtualdanno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Danno,

I tried to pull up the wiring on my DVD shop manual, but for some reason it is not working....will try again today. There is a chart called Power Mirror and this should help you if I can get the little ones and zeros to cooperate.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
That would be awesome, Phil. Some other posters have said that if the harness pigtail is changed in the door that possibly new wiring would not need to be run to a fuse box, do you agree with that?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
That would be awesome, Phil. Some other posters have said that if the harness pigtail is changed in the door that possibly new wiring would not need to be run to a fuse box, do you agree with that?
Hi Danno,

That would sure make it an easy swap compared to running the circuits. Does the XLT have electric folding mirrors?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Virtualdanno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Danno,

That would sure make it an easy swap compared to running the circuits. Does the XLT have electric folding mirrors?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Mine has the folding mirrors, 19 XLT. I believe it's included in the 301a package.

Virtualdanno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
So shout-out to Caluke for providing a pinout diagram. I don't know how to tag him because I'm an old. But this should be pretty helpful. But as somebody on this thread already pointed out, there are 4 different harnesses for each front door, one for the different options on the mirrors. Manual (XL and XLT with no power fold), XLT with 301a (power fold with BLIS and no puddle/signal/heat), Lariat with all of the above and normal audio system, and Lariat with all of the above and 8 speakers, assuming that is the B&O audio. My truck is missing:
#2 ground fender front right # third point (whatever the hell that means)
#3 turn signal
#4 relay heater mirror
#10 relay puddle lamp
This lines up with what I figured I would be missing

-edit, I have no idea what the ground situation is. I have a ground wire, which I would think would be adequate, but apparently on a fully populated mirror, it has multiple grounds. Anybody know why that might be?

Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 3.46.38 PM.png

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So shout-out to Caluke for providing a pinout diagram. I don't know how to tag him because I'm an old. But this should be pretty helpful. But as somebody on this thread already pointed out, there are 4 different harnesses for each front door, one for the different options on the mirrors. Manual (XL and XLT with no power fold), XLT with 301a (power fold with BLIS and no puddle/signal/heat), Lariat with all of the above and normal audio system, and Lariat with all of the above and 8 speakers, assuming that is the B&O audio. My truck is missing:
#2 ground fender front right # third point (whatever the hell that means)
#3 turn signal
#4 relay heater mirror
#10 relay puddle lamp
This lines up with what I figured I would be missing

-edit, I have no idea what the ground situation is. I have a ground wire, which I would think would be adequate, but apparently on a fully populated mirror, it has multiple grounds. Anybody know why that might be?

Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 3.46.38 PM.png
Hi Danno,

You do not want to ground door electrical through door hinges, so a more solid ground is likely provided to the mirrors.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Virtualdanno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Danno,

You do not want to ground door electrical through door hinges, so a more solid ground is likely provided to the mirrors.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Makes sense, Phil, why do you think they are grounding some of these to the fenders? And do you think the harnesses for each trim level mirror could be different. Caluke said this is the only one he found, but the fact that there are different grounds for the #1 pin and #2 pin and they can be swapped (like mine) suggests that is possible.

Virtualdanno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
To add to my thinking, at first I assumed that the different harnesses would just be missing wires. But is it possible that they have different pinouts? I'd kill for somebody to pop the speaker cover off their lariat and pull that pigtail and take a pic of it!

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
To add to my thinking, at first I assumed that the different harnesses would just be missing wires. But is it possible that they have different pinouts? I'd kill for somebody to pop the speaker cover off their lariat and pull that pigtail and take a pic of it!
Hi Danno,

I doubt the pinout would be different for different models. However the harness up to the connector might also be different as it might be another overlay harness off the main 14401 harness. I do know that we used to "give away" circuits in the harnesses to reduce harness complexity at the assembly plant, but do not know anything relative to current practices and the program actions of the folks responsible for the 5G Ranger.

I still have some computer issue with the Helm DVD as I can get the shop manual but not the wiring schematics. I thought I paid for the full thing, and I did use it when wiring the Ranger for being towed behind the motorhome, but now it is not working.... Have not had time to do a deep dive into this unfortunately...Way too many irons in the fire...sheesh....who said retirement was laid back all the time....love it but there are those moments. Flipping DVD is stuck in the player and will not eject either....Sigh!

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Virtualdanno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Flipping DVD is stuck in the player and will not eject either....Sigh!

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
As an IT guy, I can completely sympathize with technology giving you the middle finger when you really need it.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Flipping DVD is stuck in the player and will not eject either....Sigh!
I found this Manual CD/DVD Ejector Device online
devil grin.jpeg

61He410CwxL._AC_UL640_QL65_.jpg

Given the brand name, It is to be used only if you're really Ā¶Ä±$$āˆ‘d at it!
Sponsored